TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wayzing

Wrestlers without entrance music

Guest wayzing

In the late 80's WWF wrestlers having entrance music was the norm. It's effect was well documented. However there were a few exceptions that I just couldn't understand.

Three of the most over characters in that era went through 1987-88 without entrance music; "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. And the eras undisputed top heel, Andre The Giant, didn't have entrance music either. But lots of other characters that were much lower in the WWF food chain had.

Perhaps one could make an anti-Hogan case and claim that Andre came to the ring without music to make sure that he didn't get a face pop at Hogan's expense just because the fans were excited just to see the 8th wonder of the world. But nah.

When it comes to faces like Duggan and Beefcake I can't see any reason not to have entrance music as it would definitely add excitement to their appearances.

The strangest example was The Powers of Pain. As faces (See SummerSlam'88) they had an awesome entrance theme that made them look sooo impressive coming to the ring.

But after the Survivor Series turn their music went awol. They were supposed to be the no 1 contenders and a threat to Demolition but they just came off as unimportant.

Has anyone here heard any reasons for why some wrestlers had to wait for years before they got their own music?

Beefcake had entrance music. It was pretty catchy and cheesey at the same time. He definitely had music though. And Duggan had music when he was King.

And DiBiase had that money money money song a little later on... WM6ish era...

Guest wayzing

Oh, I know.

But "Three of the most over characters in that era went through 1987-88 without entrance music".

Why would they go without music for years before they got it? The first time I heard DiBiase music was on the WM6 prime time special where he faced The Red Roster Terry Taylor. That was almost three year after his WWF debut and way after his peak in the promotion.

Did Bob Backlund even have theme music when he came out for his squash match with Razor Ramon at WM 9?

I was 10 at the time, I can't remember nor do I have a copy of the tape.

The Giant (Paul Wight) didn't have entrance music either, well aside when when he was involved with the NWO.

I always thought it was more of a "I'm too serious for music" for the heels.

As for the faces, I'm not too sure.

Guest wayzing
The Giant (Paul Wight) didn't have entrance music either, well aside when when he was involved with the NWO.

I always thought it was more of a "I'm too serious for music" for the heels.

As for the faces, I'm not too sure.

I can buy that, especially for someone as Andre. Maybe The Giant having no music was a nod to (his "father") Andre.

But a face like The Barber in 1987-88? Just strange.

Did Bob Backlund even have theme music when he came out for his squash match with Razor Ramon at WM 9?

I was 10 at the time, I can't remember nor do I have a copy of the tape.

No, he didn't.

mr perfect didnt have any music when he first came to the wwf

Thankfully they quickly changed that.

And he got the...PERFECT...theme.

his music has always been one of my favorites

Amen brother.

I remember the first time I heard his music, Survivor Series 1992 when he made his comback with Savage.

I was just like "that's even better than Flair and Savage's music!" (before I knew what Pomp and Circumstance was... funny backstory to that the first time I went to a graduation..)

Anyway, I always liked Perfect's music, and when he passed away, and they played his music during the tribute, I lost it.

Anyone know the official name of it?

Amen brother.

I remember the first time I heard his music, Survivor Series 1992 when he made his comback with Savage.

I was just like "that's even better than Flair and Savage's music!" (before I knew what Pomp and Circumstance was... funny backstory to that the first time I went to a graduation..)

Anyway, I always liked Perfect's music, and when he passed away, and they played his music during the tribute, I lost it.

Anyone know the official name of it?

"Exodus", I believe.

The Dudleys had no music in ECW, but had a 15 minute intro thanks to Mr. Gertner.

Well, heel Dudleys anyway.

I think when they were faces beforehand, they had "Highway To Hell"...which is why Spike had it later.

Guest Franchise Rper 4 Life

An explination to why some guys in the 80's didn't have themes.. Well with Brutis Beefcake he was drifting in and out of heel/face relations and used others themes to his expense and never really found a good theme until around WM 5. "Andre didn't need no stinkin' music" simply because his presence and attitude made him what he was wither he was heel or face, Andre had that kind of power even though Vince McMahon did vocals on what was supposed to be his song on the Piledriver video album 2 known as "Stand Back". And with my main man and SmackDown Legend, The Million Dollar Man.. You could simply hate this guy because of the fact that he was an aristocratic smart ass who got over on that and damn good wrestling ability. He knew he was shit and let everyone know it at the time so with or without music it didn't matter. Now with Duggan.. He came in the WWF with the closing of Bill Watts's UWF where he was once a World Champion or TV Champion I guess. And I think Vince resented the fact that he came from down south and waited to mold him into a bigger blabbering moron toped of with a rediculous theme.