TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

WWE and media...

I have to do a research paper for my Media Ethics and Law class. We could choose anything we talked about in class, and one of the things was monoplies.

I choice how the wrestling world is monopalized by the WWE. However, we have to connect it to the media in one way or another.

So far, I can think of PPVs, magazines, videos/DVDs, the whole XFL/NBC thing, Time Warner selling WCW because of AOL merger, WWE's deal with USA then with TNN/Spike TV, and how the media looks at wrestling in their boom periods.

What else can I look at?

Guest Coffey

You can talk about how whenever anyone in the media talks about wrestling, they aren't talking about wrestling in general but the WWE.

It's like everyone is ignorant to the sport and thinks that the WWE are the only promotion that exists.

You can also discuss the utter disdain the media and most of society have for wrestling. Try and find an article even about the business aspects of wrestling and you'll easily see the contempt in which it is written, as if every rule of journalism, especially objectivity, no longer applies when the subject is professional wrestling.

Guest Dynamite Kido

How about when the WWF/NBC relationship was during the 80's boom period when NBC regularly aired Saturday Night's Main Event over Saturday Night Live.

I'm doing a similar essay on wrestling from a semiotics perspective in relation to popular culture. Once I have my rough edit complete, i'll post it.

Some of the stuff covered in my proposal included:

•The 80’s Boom: Wrestling goes mainstream, Hulk-A-Mania, WrestleMania, Rock’N’Wrestling, Celebrities

•The 90’s Boom: The Monday Night Wars, nWo, ECW, The Attitude Era

•Crossover Stars: The Rock in Hollywood , Mike Tyson, The David Arquette fiasco

•Wrestling Today: The current state of Wrestling, The Internet, Smarks vs. Marks, Puroresu, TNA

Cut loose, go all out to make Vince McMahon look like the piss ant he is. Talk about the steriod trial. Talk about everytime Vince goes and does a interview with the media he makes an ass out of himself. Talk about how the media focus' on Wrestling because of all the deaths and some how bring all the blame back to Vince.

Since it's a law class, write the paper like your a lawyer in court trying to send Vince to prison for 30 years.

Do it on Vince trying to go mainstream by doing stunts on national news programs like TODAY SHOW. Focus on how the gay wedding failed/succeeded in getting attention.

Guest William E
You can talk about how whenever anyone in the media talks about wrestling, they aren't talking about wrestling in general but the WWE.

It's like everyone is ignorant to the sport and thinks that the WWE are the only promotion that exists.

Preach on brotha :headbang:

It must be essay time, because I have to do a paper on an organisation of my choice and discuss the different elements of that organisation. I chose WWE.