TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

"Fake Emotion" - FFX-2

Credit: Official Playstation Magazine [which I totally suggest buying]

Not only did Koda Kumi, a fast-rising J-pop star, provide the vocals for Yuna's opening song, but she was also mo-capped for the dance moves. Too bad you won't hear her voice in the U.S. version. Although Kumi recorded an English version of "Real Emotion", it kinda stunk [it sounded like she was reading -and mangling- a phonetic transliteration of the English lyrics]. Square Enix U.S.A wisely opted to have it recorded by a gal who's known as Jade from Sweetbox. To find more about her, head to http://www.sweetbox.com/

'Real Emotion' went so well with that opening and I don't know how they could possibly change it. Even if they lip-sync it perfectly, I still think 'Real Emotion' was perfect. But, of course, I'll not judge something I haven't seen.

Guest Sakura

It's weird that Yuna will talk with her voice from X but sing as a totally different voice actress.

Oh god, I am so hyped. FF X-2 will be game of the year.

It's weird that Yuna will talk with her voice from X but sing as a totally different voice actress.

Not that I care about this game, but Luna in Lunar 1 had the same situation going--different voice actress for speaking and singing parts. So it's not that unusual.

Oh god, I am so hyped. FF X-2 will be game of the year.

....I'm not touching that one. I have no doubts it will be your GOTY, though. ;)

I'm actually pretty sure it won't. I mean I don't think Knights of the Old Republic is Game of the Year but I'm pretty sure it's better than what they can come up with...I mean it's better than FFX and I've heard by all accounts that FFX2 is not as good as FFX. Plus it definetly can't be better than Zelda. Meh...it'll be average.

FFX annihilates KOTOR. Every FF destroys KOTOR.

You should buy the Official Playstation Magazine, December issue, when it comes out on the 4th. [Meh, I have it already. *snerk*] As always for an FF, they have a story about it, a demo, a review, and the only English version of Eternal Calm, the prologue to X-2.

Not only that, but they have news on Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, the non-game sequel to the game. And, let me just say, that Sephiroth is one hot mofo. Hell, I've already seen tons of icons, both of Sephiroth and Cloud, from that vid.

Back to FF X-2.....after playing a bit of it, I must say that the battle system is way too fast. I'm sure if I would've started from the beginning, I would say different.

But one of the 'missions' has you racing to the top of this tower [Yuna can now jump/climb on the 'world map'] and all three chicks have a lot of abilities for their classes. So while I'm trying to cycle through to see what they have, and trying to check out the different dresses they, I'm totally getting beat up. I know FF8 had the ATB system, but if I'm not mistaken, you could control it. To my knowledge, you can't in X-2.

Guest Sakura

VIII has ATB, but it's not very fast. Generally it goes about the same pace as X. If you have like 100 Triples junctioned to speed you'll go uber fast, but baddies remain slow.

And Squall is hotter than Sephiroth. Sephiroth looks weird and evil. Squall is actually the best guy in all of games, if you ask me. I love him. He's the best.

ff8-squall.jpg

Yeah, totally.

Boo to this bit of news! I wish they would have kept either of the Kumi sung versions, even though the english one does indeed have some less than stellar spots. I guess this means this Jade girl will be singing "1000 no Kobota" as well.

Hope these new versions are decent.

And Squall is hotter than Sephiroth. Sephiroth looks weird and evil. Squall is actually the best guy in all of games, if you ask me. I love him. He's the best.

ff8-squall.jpg

Yeah,  totally.

...Oh right, sarcasm...I hope.

Guest Flyboy

That's laughable.

Excuse me while I -- :lol:

Guest FrigidSoul

Maybe its just me but I don't want to pay $50 to sit and watch a game...and that's basically what FFX was, sitting and watching. I'm not sure there was even 10 hours of gameplay in it but there certainly was 30-40hours of fucking FMV. A cut scene here and there is a good thing, building a game around the whole thing is not. Also why is it that Tidus' father (whom by the way I will give credit to having the coolest and most badass boss music ever to) the hardest thing in the game and the core of Sin didn't do shit?

I still haven't played through FF8 yet, so for my money FFX was and is still the worst FF game out there

That's laughable.

Excuse me while I -- :lol:

I agree with Flyboy and Damaramu--what's this world coming to?!

Yer soooooooo wrong, Sakura, yet again, I.M.H.O.

Plunderin: Hey, at least it's not Xenosaga, which is far worse in that aspect.

Time for the monthly Final Fantasy argument thread. You people make me sick.

Which is why Square should end the vile, pathetic series.

Plus with Enix on board more dragon quest is always a plus.

*points to Sakura* SHE STARTED IT!!

Anyway, it's not so much that she states her opinion as fact anymore, but that I think she's wrong AND inconsistent.

I know your opinion is set in stone about the newer ones, but I believe you said yourself that the NES titles (and even the Origins upgrades) were unplayable today, or at least one of them was.

If I'm mistaken and you didn't say that, I have four words for you, m'lady: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Back on topic, since I think Square knows its audience, I'd be shocked if the original song w/ subtitles wasn't included in some form--maybe as an option or maybe a secret. After all, they're going to be re-releasing this version in Japan as International anyway.

You're kidding, right? Outside of the big four of Madden, Tony Hawk, Mario, and Zelda, the Final Fantasy moniker is probably the most marketable video game franchise out there. It's absolute money in the bank, even when the SquareSoft product is ailing.

And it's not like Square isn't trying. Final Fantasy X was a great departure from the beloved/aging formula in the series and, considering the "self-contained universe" paradigm that all of the games have (except, ironically, for FFX-2), there's no reason that they'd run out of stories to tell.

Sure, they haven't been the premier developer in RPGs like they were when they exploded into the mainstream in the late 90's. But the games they're putting out are still comparable or better than some of the other so-called RPGs swimming around out there.

Sorry I just cant stand any ff game, I even found FF6 a bore to play. Nor can I stand Tony hawk or any game made by EA besides fifa 96. Square has proven they can do much better if they tried, as games like chrono trigger, front mission, kingdom hearts and Vagrant Story are just simply so much better than any FF game I've played.

I'm no FF buff so am I correct when I say that Tactics wasnt really done by square? If so then add that game to the list.

Edited by Renegade

Final Fantasy = CLICKABLE MOVIE.

Its fucking true.

I take it you haven't played Xenosaga?

Love it or hate it, almost every RPG operates as a "clickable movie" due to the fact that there's so much character exposition that has to take place. The cutscene is a core component of the RPG experience that has been overdone or overblown in a lot of recent efforts, thanks to the overwhelming success of Final Fantasy VII. But even before FFVII came out, you would find yourself clicking through a truckload of text dialogue in most RPGs, so grinding through character exposition is just a part of the game.

Sorry I just cant stand any ff game, I even found FF6 a bore to play. Nor can I stand Tony hawk or any game made by EA besides fifa 96.

To each their own, of course. But can you really sit and say that video game companies should stop making those games just because you don't like them, even while they've been wildly successful and thousands of other people have bought them?

Just something to think about.

Guest FrigidSoul

Ya, the first XenoSaga had a shitload of movie but it wasn't as bad as FFX. The first game was also using the FMV to build up the plot quicker, the second game isn't suppose to be nearly as bad

I think cutscenes are fine, but you shouldn't have to watch them 10-15 minutes straight.

It's kinda like a lot of musicians say--writing long songs is a lot easier than writing short ones, because you have to decide the best, most concise way of saying something instead of just throwing everything in there.

Make them brief and meaningful. I personally didn't find them too annoying or intrusive in FFIX, but that game still had its share of problems. I still prefer FFIX over any of the newer titles, save for FFX which I haven't played and have no intention to.

Sorry I just cant stand any ff game, I even found FF6 a bore to play. Nor can I stand Tony hawk or any game made by EA besides fifa 96. Square has proven they can do much better if they tried, as games like chrono trigger, front mission, kingdom hearts and Vagrant Story are just simply so much better than any FF game I've played.

The problem is, Square considers FF its meal ticket, so they slap the name onto even unrelated stuff to try to sell a game. I hear that they'll try to make Front Mission into a comparable franchise, so maybe that's good. FFT wasn't made by Square, either, Ren. Plus, FFTA is a Squeenix effort.

Kingdom Hearts I like, although I haven't played VS. I'm currently playing the FFC version of Chrono Trigger, and still love it. The story-based stuff is kept brief, the cut scenes aren't annoying, the team attacks add a great deal of depth to the fighting, and most everything else clicks with me. The battle system is mostly kinda archaic save for the team up attacks. Sadly they didn't bring a simple-but-fun battle system into Cross.

While I tolerate it in older titles, I think the menu/turn-based battle system is horribly out of date and needs to be ushered out completely. Kingdom Hearts I didn't mind since it was new and worked for me. Of course, I'm into the Zelda games so keep that in mind.

It just becomes extremely tedious since most fights are mashing the "fight" command constantly, and there are way too many fights. Fewer battles (including elimination of random battles), harder battles, the doing away of the level up/experience system, and more diverse gameplay (like platformer elements) are the things I'd want in a modern console RPG.

Of course, if the characters/stories make me gag, it's all moot.

You're kidding, right? Outside of the big four of Madden, Tony Hawk, Mario, and Zelda, the Final Fantasy moniker is probably the most marketable video game franchise out there. It's absolute money in the bank, even when the SquareSoft product is ailing.

No Megaman?

Dude, that has the most sequels, side-storys, and alternate universes of any and all games.

I'm no FF buff so am I correct when I say that Tactics wasnt really done by square? If so then add that game to the list.

FFT was made by some (or most, depending on who tells it) of the people who created Tactics Ogre.

Ya, the first XenoSaga had a shitload of movie but it wasn't as bad as FFX. The first game was also using the FMV to build up the plot quicker, the second game isn't suppose to be nearly as bad

Never make assumptions like this. It may be less, but sometimes less FMVs but spread out more-so can be just as bad. It's all the timing of FMVs and therein lies the problem. No one understands that FMVs were supposed to emphaze (yes, I bastardize this word whenever I can) the important parts.

Problem of games from FF7 on. The FMVs have become the focal point of the games and hence a lot of them aren't so good. If it wasn't the fact that I'm an RPGFan, I probably wouldn't get FMV loaded games.

Now then, back to the topic, it sucks that they will change who is speaking, but this doesn't mean it'll be a bad thing. Till I just read in this thread, I didn't really notice Luna singing and Luna speaking were actually two different voices. I actually assumed the same one.

Guest Sakura
Also why is it that Tidus' father (whom by the way I will give credit to having the coolest and most badass boss music ever to) the hardest thing in the game and the core of Sin didn't do shit?

Uh, because Jecht was Braska's Final Aeon, the thing controlling Sin?

This "too much FMV" thing is overhyped. There is WAY more gameplay than FMV in FFX or any other. The CGI scenes are like one minute long. There is just as much gameplay in the older FFs than in the new ones.

And I'm not being sarcastic about Squall.

Guest Sakura
I know your opinion is set in stone about the newer ones, but I believe you said yourself that the NES titles (and even the Origins upgrades) were unplayable today, or at least one of them was.

They're not unplayable. I just played through FF and FF II(the Origins versions) the other day.

They're just not as good. The newer FF games are like so cinematic and are just like an experience. The earlier ones are just generic games.

Well, some of us prefer good ol' generic gameplay to watching a movie. I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 hours of MGS2 that I wished the PS2 had a fast-forward button on the controller. Of course, my opinions are generally shared by nobody, my favorite games from the FF series are IV and X, so, uh, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Uh, because Jecht was Braska's Final Aeon, the thing controlling Sin?

This "too much FMV" thing is overhyped. There is WAY more gameplay than FMV in FFX or any other. The CGI scenes are like one minute long. There is just as much gameplay in the older FFs than in the new ones.

And I'm not being sarcastic about Squall.

Thankfully, I understood that, and will just pass that first part by.

No. I didn't mean "too much FMV", and if I said exactly that, I need a thorough smacking of myself. What I mean it that the pacing for when FMVs happen and how they are used isn't totally correct. Yes, I understand that if Yuna and Tidus are having a nice chat that gives some plot away, I can see an FMV, but it should like ... not just be bland (that's the one in that main town with the Blitzball dome [i need to play FFX again, mind's slipping on what's what]). Sure, it's nice to have, but you can still do the same by not having that little bit in.

Don't get me wrong, that was short, but most others aren't. Most of the begining (oh hell, almost ALL of Xenosaga) is just filled with senseless FMVs for the purpose of saying "ooo... pretty".

And I said after FFVII the FMV crazy hit. I was not meaning to unintentional make it seem I was bashing FF games, Yuna. I meant that in respects to almost all the ones that have come out. Only one that hasn't pissed me off in such a fashion is Disgaea, but that's a throwback to the 2D era and can't be counted.

I didn't care much for Squall myself. If I was a girl or a gay guy, he'd be too bland and generatic looking for my tastes. I'd prefer someone dark, kinda sly, and devilish. So I'd say Vincent is probably whom I'd pick out of the FF cast.

...and yes, I wasn't joking with that last statement.

Well, some of us prefer good ol' generic gameplay to watching a movie. I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 hours of MGS2 that I wished the PS2 had a fast-forward button on the controller. Of course, my opinions are generally shared by nobody, my favorite games from the FF series are IV and X, so, uh, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

You're not alone about MGS2.

Well, some of us prefer good ol' generic gameplay to watching a movie.  I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 hours of MGS2 that I wished the PS2 had a fast-forward button on the controller.  Of course, my opinions are generally shared by nobody, my favorite games from the FF series are IV and X, so, uh, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

You're not alone about MGS2.

The game that I wish I had never wasted my time on...

I made sure I will NEVER touch it... And it makes me loathe MSG3.

Yes, that's how pissed I was with that game.

Guest Sakura

I thought MGS2 was the best game of 2001. Even better than FFX.

I like Squall because of the story. I really get into it. I played through it again last week for the millionth time and was still all emotional about some scenes. He always looks so sad and alone. I feel bad for him and really like seeing Rinoa and his friends help him. It's the best story in a game like ever.

It makes me sad when people hate on the game and Squall. :(