TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

We're all gonna die..er..maybe not...

The Sun is shooting stuff at the Earth..

Part of the article..

Oct. 28 —  The sun on Tuesday unleashed what appears to be the third most powerful flare in recorded history, a storm of charged particles that could hit Earth midday Wednesday with more effect than any since 1989, when power was knocked out to an entire Canadian province

DEPENDING ON the storm’s magnetic orientation, it could set off a dramatic display of colorful northern lights well into midlatitudes of the United States and Europe.

Meanwhile, satellite operators and power grid managers are preparing to endure a potentially damaging event. And astronauts aboard the international space station have taken cover from heavier radiation sent out by the flare. They are not expected to be in any serious danger.

Kicked up at 6 a.m. ET Tuesday, the major solar eruption comes on the heels of four other flares late last week and over the weekend. All were considered fairly severe, but the latest eruption makes the others seem like solar sneezes.

I just hope it doesn't knock my satellite tv out. I'll be pissed if that happens. And right now its real cloudy and its supposed to be like that for a while, so I probably wont even get to see the nifty light show in the sky if there is one.

Guest subliminal_animal

I assume it would be less of a light show and more like the street-level view of a nuclear bomb going off in a big city that you get in the movies, but without any of the nasty aftereffects immediately brought upon the extras.

The part of the article you posted said we'd get colorfulness, and I didn't bother wasting my time reading the part of the article you didn't post, which may or may not have went more in-depth on any potential colors. But we have to keep in mind that any science you come across is usually a hoax, so my point stills stands.

You know what? I'm getting sick of taking the sun's crap. If scientists aren't doing it already, we need to learn how to destroy the sun. Alert the UN for a vote. You are either WITH us or AGAINST us in our endeavor against the sun. As for our coalition, I'm sure the Moon is with us...but if Mars and the rest of the planets have a problem, we should just ignore them and do it anyway. After all, we ARE the superpower of the Solar System. It's time we teach the fucking sun not to shoot flares at us!!

......and personally, I didn't notice anything strange on Tuesday and Wednesday. I thought there was going to be some Aurora Borealis color going on, but I saw nothing. And considering that my skin hasn't burned off yet, I didn't feel the sun blast either. Typical science hyping up something that turns out to be a huge disappointment. Ah, well.