TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

Proof Disgaea is RPG of the year

19disgaea.jpg

Not only is it one of the most addictive RPGs, but it teaches us fine life lessons and values. The power of love is good, it can help us all. 3 colors is not enough for a prism. And "shazam!" is the best battle cry ever. Why aren't you playing this?

It's not quite Earthbound, but Disgaea is definitely a funny game that is blessed with a roided-out interpretation on the Final Fantasy Tactics engine. Thankfully, I think it's getting mad praise through word of mouth and the internet, so it's not going to fall into obscurity or anything.

I always mark out for the demonic penguins, dood.

Not only is it one of the most addictive RPGs, but it teaches us fine life lessons and values. The power of love is good, it can help us all. 3 colors is not enough for a prism. And "shazam!" is the best battle cry ever. Why aren't you playing this?

Best. Parody. EVER. That part had me on the floor. :lol:

Does anyone know how to get the Senators on your side? The only resolution I can ever get them to pass is "More Expensive Stuff". Things like "Improve Movement" and "Improve Counterattack" always get shot down by hundreds of votes, along with opening new areas.

Why aren't you playing this?

Because I hate FFT-style RPGs.

Then put aside your hatred, and join the thousands of FFTactics haters turned Disgaea lovers with a simple purchase.

Or don't. Or do. Whichever.

And you can get the Senators on your side by bribing them with any random item, but that takes a while...it gets easier to just kill them all.

Then put aside your hatred, and join the thousands of FFTactics haters turned Disgaea lovers with a simple purchase.

And you can get the Senators on your side by bribing them with any random item, but that takes a while...it gets easier to just kill them all.

I too hated FFTactics. Bored me to tears. But Disgaea is pure magic.

And I haven't had much luck killing Senators, but I guess I'll give it another go.

Does anyone know how to get the Senators on your side? The only resolution I can ever get them to pass is "More Expensive Stuff". Things like "Improve Movement" and "Improve Counterattack" always get shot down by hundreds of votes, along with opening new areas.

Three Ways To Pass Resolutions Without Killing Senators:

~ Increase Your Level. The Higher Leveled you are, the more powerful you are, the more they fear you.

~ When in doubt, bribes work wonders. Find something they like and bribe them with it. Give them plenty of gifts. Always works. What? Nothing to give? You apparently have given Item World a go then and wasted time realizing that there IS no point in gaining cash (hell, why bother getting potions, as I haven't used ONE) as you can just buff up the appropriate equipment you aquire from within the place.

~ Higher promotion level, the better your chance. Just get the most promotions you can. It helps.

In most cases, use bribes. Simple easy, and considering you can get most bribes from Item Worlds, it'll put all those items you've collected to good use.

I would if one of my rental places would carry it, but it seems to be too little-known to actually make it to shelves.

I would if one of my rental places would carry it, but it seems to be too little-known to actually make it to shelves.

It's one of those games that won't be on the shelf for rental because all the "big name rental stores" think it wouldn't rent if they brought it in.

Which is bullshit, because I know a game this good couldn't be a "lost cause".

A piddly crap little item like ABC gum can work just as well for bribery as a legendary Cosmic Blade. It's all random whether they'll want it or not, so you might want to bribe with inexpensive items.

It's one of those games that won't be on the shelf for rental because all the "big name rental stores" think it wouldn't rent if they brought it in.

Which is bullshit, because I know a game this good couldn't be a "lost cause".

Actually, rental is how I found it. Hollywood Video had a single copy, and since FZero GX wasn't in, I took a chance with Disgaea.

Five days later I returned it, walked about ten steps into the adjoining Game Crazy, and plunked down the $49.99 for it.

Actually, rental is how I found it. Hollywood Video had a single copy, and since FZero GX wasn't in, I took a chance with Disgaea.

Five days later I returned it, walked about ten steps into the adjoining Game Crazy, and plunked down the $49.99 for it.

Damn... Didn't know someplace in the states had it for rent. Only place you can find it up here in Canada, is Microplay. Blockbusters and Rogers don't carry it.

I finally have gotten the stupid Senate to allow me to Prinny Land~! And I thought I'd never say this, but I'm enjoying beating the stuffing out of the Prinny Squad~!

THIS GAME ROCKS SO MUCH~!!! ...can't believe I haven't finished it yet. Oh yeah, PS2 broke down. But anyways, I think that Disgaea rocks.

Anyone beat this game know what level I should be when I face the final stage of the game?

Cause I don't own a sucky PS2.

I finally have gotten the stupid Senate to allow me to Prinny Land~! And I thought I'd never say this, but I'm enjoying beating the stuffing out of the Prinny Squad~!

THIS GAME ROCKS SO MUCH~!!! ...can't believe I haven't finished it yet. Oh yeah, PS2 broke down. But anyways, I think that Disgaea rocks.

Anyone beat this game know what level I should be when I face the final stage of the game?

I didn't expect this to be bumped, but yeah...game of the year....

There's a neat trick to use in Prinny Land at that stage of the game, if you have a rogue who is at a high level, you can steal a particular powerful item from the Prinny God over and over and over. I don't remember what levels I had for the last level. Uh...90?

On another note, I'm at chapter 3 of the prequel, La Pucelle. Disgaea is definitely the better game, but Pucelle has its own little charms.

You can beat the game at level 40, as long as you have a powered-up Laharl. Most of my characters were around level 30 something, but my Laharl was jacked up to level 70 or so. 300 Statistician is your friend, get em ASAP and and you'll be just fine.

I'm in chapter 4 of La Pucelle. Haven't touched it in a while though...it's good, but doesn't seem as deep as Disgaea.

Laharl is powered up (Lvl 50, Transmigrated 5 times at Skilled), but I'm out to get Majorly and Prier. That and perhaps sack Prinny Land while I'm at it. Also defeat a LEGENDARY Item GOD.

So I kinda don't just want to have Laharl powered up.

Laharl is powered up (Lvl 50, Transmigrated 5 times at Skilled), but I'm out to get Majorly and Prier. That and perhaps sack Prinny Land while I'm at it. Also defeat a LEGENDARY Item GOD.

So I kinda don't just want to have Laharl powered up.

Your characters will need to be uber-powered up to get near Marjoly and Priere. I don't remember the exact level of my guys in Disgaea, but I think it was around 300-500...and I get whooped in the Alternate Netherworld.

What I'm saying is, you'll need those 300 Statisticians anyways to power yourself up enough to get to the secret characters. Might as well start now, and it'll help you beat the end boss a little quicker. It's nice to see the ending, then work for all the tough stuff like Baal.

You all of course know a sequel is coming out right? Phantom Heart I believe? Disgaea is totally great.

Best strat RPG I think I've ever played (besides MAYBE some of the Langrissers). since every other one was way easy by the end (except Langrissers and original FFT) Disgaea keeps up the challenge, and then there's TONS of stuff to do after you beat it. Great game.

It's Phantom Brave, btw.

And yes, this is one of the better strat games out there. I'm currently racking up cash against lvl 40 Prinnies in Prinny Land 1.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Ok... Please explain to me what the heck the Statisticans are for. I don't really understand those things too much. That and really the rest of them either.

Whoops, totally missed that post Flik.

Basically, Statisticians increase the amount of experience you character gets when killing an enemy, up to a maximum of 300% (1% for each level of statistician). It allows for some pretty scary leveling up madness. To subdue a statistician, take the item it's in to the item world and "subdue" (kill) it. It's tough to get 300 though...most of the items you have will maybe have a level 20-40 statistician, which becomes 40-80 subdued. It's a lot of work, but it'll save you a lot of time when you're leveling up for Prier and whatnot.