TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Plushy Al Logan

Favorite Drummers/Bassists

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Everyone once in a while, somebody will start a thread about their favorite guitarists or vocalists, but no one has started one on their favorite bassists or drummers. I just think we needed a thread like this.

Bassists:

Michael Anthony

Eddie Van Halen (Yes, he has played bass before)

Cliff Burton

Bobby Dall

Mona

Nikki Sixx

Drummers:

Alex Van Halen (Fire, good!)

Eddie Van Halen (Yes, he also pays drums on some Van Halen tracks. The only one I can think of is "Crossing Over")

Tommy Lee

Keith Moon

Lars Ulrich (Entertainment value purposes, not for talent)

Rikki Rocket

David Lauser

Edited by Plushy Al Logan

I don't have a favorite bassist. Too many different styles I like.

My favorite all around drummer is Charlie Benante. (Anthrax)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

We've actually done this thread a few times.

Les Claypool and Victor Wooten are probably my two favorites on bass, although I take influences more from Geezer Butler, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, and Kerry King, even though he's a guitarist.

On drums, I'm all about Flo Mounier, Pete Sandoval, and Neil Peart.

Bass:

Cliff Burton

Steve Harris

John Myung

Geddy Lee

Jason Newsted

John Entwistle

Drums:

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Stuart Copeland

Nick McBrian

I personally thinnk that Radiohead have the best rhythm section ever: Colin Greenwood and Phil Selway. They rarely sho off, but when they do it's amazing, and the musicianship they bring to their instruments is superb. Plus, they work together so well as a unit, and are amazing live.

So, yeah. Those two.

Guest Nacho Nixon

Pretty much standards, I guess

Bass: Les Claypool, Mike Watt

Drums: Neil Peart

Guest BAR

Bassists:

Steve Harris

Cliff Burton

Lemmy

Duff McKagan

Drummers:

John Bonham

Keith Moon

Nick Mason

I'll point out this sure as hell isn't the first favourite bassist/drummer threads we've had. Anyway...

Bass - Claypool, Butler, Entwistle....

Drums - the DEP lad, Tim Alexander and Dale effing Crover.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Everyone loves Keif Moon because he was a bufoon. Ginger Baker and John Bonham owned his soul. And wanna know who influenced Baker and Bonham? Jazz. Jazz drummers are the best. Unfortunately, I don't know any by name since I am a beginner with it all. In fact, dare I say, jazz musicians are the tightest of any genre.

Everyone loves Keif Moon because he was a bufoon.  Ginger Baker and John Bonham owned his soul.  And wanna know who influenced Baker and Bonham? Jazz.  Jazz drummers are the best.  Unfortunately, I don't know any by name since I am a beginner with it all.  In fact, dare I say, jazz musicians are the tightest of any genre.

Art Blakey and Buddy Rich are my favorite jazz drummers. But Buddy Rich was the biggest bastard on the planet to his band. His theory was that if you missed a cue from him, you weren't good enough to play jazz, and he had fired people mid-show for that. The tapes of Buddy cursing a blue streak to the people on the tour bus are pretty well-circulated.

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

And Charlie Watts was/is a big blues and jazz fan. He is also a very good drummer.

Guest mesepher
Bass:

Allen Woody

Victor Wooten

Oteil Burbridge

Les Claypool

Drums:

Matt Abts

Billy Martin

oh yeah~!

as for Radiohead having the best rythmn section... dude, come on. Go buy a copy of the Who's Quadrophenia and listen to the chemistry of Moon and Entwhistle, check out Geddy Lee and Neil Peart... Matt Abts and Allen Woody... Matt Abts and George Porter Jr... Matt Abts and Andy Hess.... Oteil and Butch, Marc, and Jaimoe... I just can never take Radiohead that serious, though.

and about the jazz drummers.... yes, Jazz and Classical are by far the most difficult forms of music to perform. These rock guys can't hold a candle to jazz or classical music.

Edited by mesepher

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Rush, The Who, and Black Sabbath have had probably the top 3 rhythm sections in rock. I wouldn't say Bill Ward was particularly an outstanding drummer, but he was definitely good, and always meshed perfectly with what Geezer was doing.

For some FANTASTIC meshing of drums and bass guitar, check out a Frank Zappa track called "Rubber Shirt." It's Terry Bozzio on the drums, and Patrick Hearn on bass, but I could be wrong. Awesome intricate little playing back and forth between the two. One of my favorite FZ tracks.

oh yeah~!

as for Radiohead having the best rythmn section... dude, come on. Go buy a copy of the Who's Quadrophenia and listen to the chemistry of Moon and Entwhistle, check out Geddy Lee and Neil Peart... Matt Abts and Allen Woody... Matt Abts and George Porter Jr... Matt Abts and Andy Hess.... Oteil and Butch, Marc, and Jaimoe... I just can never take Radiohead that serious, though.

and about the jazz drummers.... yes, Jazz and Classical are by far the most difficult forms of music to perform. These rock guys can't hold a candle to jazz or classical music.

Good to see another Mule/ABB fan in these parts. I just caught the Mule in Philly two or three weeks ago and was amazed once again. The chemistry between Abts and Hess was incredible, especially considering they haven't played together much. I was also really impressed with Hess as a bass player. I knew he had played with Scofield, but wasn't too familiar with his work. He lays down some pretty tasty bass lines.

Also, I've always felt that Berry Oakley was underrated as a bass player. Wish he could've been around longer to see how his playing developed.