TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Wrestling Essay

A while back I posted an outline for a wrestling essay from a semiotic perspective. Since then, i've tinkered with the thesis a bit, and i'm now focusing on the effects the internet has had on the business and it's evolution. For topics so far I have:

Marks vs. Smarks

Breaking of Kayfabe/Russo Era/Need to adjust to smarter fans

- Late 90’s, wrestling begins to cater to the IWC in certain storylines, angles (shoots)

- Much of it goes over the fans head

- The days of the 80’s/early 90’s are passé, need to adjust to smarter fans (Attitude era)

- ECW – ‘it’s not for everyone’

Wrestling with Shadows --> Montreal Screwjob

- One of various documentaries to go behind the scenes

- Highlights the infamous “Montreal screwjob” where Vince McMahon alters the outcome of a match unbeknownst to champion Bret Hart , the biggest non-scripted double cross in wrestling history.

By the end I was hoping to tie this into the current deterioration of the business as a whole. What else could I include ?

Territorial System vs. National Expansion - it's a good metaphor for todays globalization issue and big business (even funnier, is that the merger of AOL/TW led to Pro Wrestling becoming monopolized). Of course, you'd have to know a lot about the "old school" and whatnot, so...

Of Mats and Men:

Rituals and Religious Imagery in Professional Wrestling

by Lee Benaka

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/Benaka/th...sis(index).html

This should give you some idears, if anything, it's good read.

Marks vs. Smarks isn't even an issue, as Smarks are marks... the only difference is information.

SS97 has been talked about to death and I wouldn't say it lead to todays current state - though what happened after it certainly did.

Guest JumpinJackFlash
SS97 has been talked about to death and I wouldn't say it lead to todays current state - though what happened after it certainly did.

How about the Backlund screwjob instead of the Montreal screwjob?

Wait....does that have anything to do with the paper? :bonk:

P.S. I think that's the 1,000th bonk I've posted. Damn, I must have low self esteem. :bonk:

How about the Backlund screwjob instead of the Montreal screwjob?

Wait....does that have anything to do with the paper? :bonk:

I wasn't going to focus indepth on the screwjob persay, but rather discuss the implications the documentary had in terms of the line between kayfabe and shoots.

Thanks for the feedback Rudo, i'm checking out the link now. The globalization aspect is definetly something I could use. Much appreciated

Guest Plushy Al Logan

I'll write the last few words for you:

...and Sid shit his pants.

I'll modify the last line for you...

...and Sid, who had done battle with a squirrel in the arena that was his pants, and had brought a squeegee to a barfight, dropped enough excrement in his tights to fill a small pothole.