TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Prog rock/metal

From the original prog bands of the 70's like Genesis, Yes, ELP and King Crimson (I've heard Jethro Tull get thrown in there too, but I'm not feeling it)

To the later 70's bands that forged their own radio-prog style, like Saga and Rush

To 80's bands who borrowed heavily from Genesis, like Marillion, IQ and Pendragon

To heavy metal bands that took metal to new heights, like Dream Theater, Queensryche and Fates Warning

And plenty of other bands I can't quite think of off my head...

I like Kings X, and Dream Theater, Rush and all them. UFO could be thrown in there if you want, and I can see Jethro Tull being in that category as well.

The only problem I have with prog rock now is that it's not progressive anymore. The strides towards inovation that defined the genre in the 70's aren't there, and as a result it ends up feeling a little flat.

As for you people who like prog metal, try Muse. I dunno if they're known in the States, but over here they're prettymuch the definition of decent prog. Also, The Mars Volta are a good example of the gene done well.

I dunno if they're known in the States, but over here they're prettymuch the definition of decent prog.

Where're you from? England?

As for newer "prog" bands, I love Arena and I know Spock's Beard (I've never really listened to them) has a big following, but they come across more as epic-rock bands than prog and such

I used to be a big prog rock fan when I was younger, and though my interest in the style has faded somewhat I still love King Crimson, and can still enjoy stuff from Yes, Genesis et al.

Interesting, as I was recently trying to divy up my mp3s by genre, and was faced with the question of what prog rock is exactly.

I do like it, mostly older groups, as my musical expansion is going in other directions at the moment. I'm a big fan of Genesis and Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd and Captain Beefheart.

If you want to call Frank Zappa and David Bowie prog rockers, they're great too.

how the hell are muse prog? They don't have nearly enough variation or jamming ability. sure, Bellamy is highly skilled, but he hasn't yet managed to actually write a song to any extent that brings me out of the coma that has just been induced by me accidentally listening to muse. Fuck them. Kill them all. With rusty implements. Soon.

how the hell are muse prog? They don't have nearly enough variation or jamming ability. sure, Bellamy is highly skilled, but he hasn't yet managed to actually write a song to any extent that brings me out of the coma that has just been induced by me accidentally listening to muse. Fuck them. Kill them all. With rusty implements. Soon.

Dude, Muse = Prog.

Just listen to Origin Of Symmetry. It's got every prog cliche in the book.

And "Sunburn" and "Plug In Baby" were genius songs.

Muse should never exist...

I wouldn't call Tool or Primus prog rock. Tool is like Alt. Metal, and Primus is just whacked it has its own category itself

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The new Primus EP is progressive as hell. Some of those riffs I'd swear are straight out of King Crimson and Tool. Not in the sense that they copied them, just that they kind of sound like something they'd play, particularly on the latter couple tracks. This is wonderful, because tomorrow night, I'll be listening to it LIVE. Hurray!

As for other progressive stuff, Frank Zappa's one of my musical idols, and having recorded Zoot Allures defintely has some proggery in him. Rush is the shit, as is King Crimson. Some of their 80's stuff is way too...eighties, for me, but the rest is grand. Adrian Belew is a brilliant vocalist, and Robert Fripp is probably one of the more talented guitarists I can think of. Starless and Bible Black, In the Wake of Poseidon, and Three of a Perfect Pair, are all must-own.

I've stroked Pink Floyd in here previously, so I'll skip them.

Dream Theater is definitely good, but I think they get bothersome after too long.

It's also worthy of note that producer David Bottrill has done some wonderful shit here with a lot of different bands. He did a great deal of both King Crimson and Peter Gabriel's material, as well as Tool. Granted, he's produced some crapola, like Mudvayne's first album, but that's not his fault. They sounded as good as they could, I think. I mention this only because production and quality is essential in a genre full of musicians that pride themselves on their technical proficiency, which is one of the appeals of prog stuff in general, I think.