TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Any AFI fans?

They remind me of Graves era misfits, only not as potent.

Graves era Misfits reminds me of some sort of weird 80's metal band tossed into a blender with the real Misfits. AFI sounds nothing like that.

Oh god.....please for the love of god don't let any High Schoolers run around going "I LOVE RANCID! I'M PUNK ROCK!"

That already kinda happened a few years ago when "Ruby Soho" was a big hit song. Rancid

have had platinum albums, they are far from being some underground band.

Please....don't fucking remind me. The next kid that comes up to me in Abercrombie and says "I'm a punk!" I'm going to kill. Of course I'd rather kill the Hot Topic trend fuckers that think they're special more.

People actually come up to you and say "I'm punk!" just out of the blue? Anyway, copied from a post of mine in the food folder:

All those Hot Topic kids are punk because punk as a concept became gay and retarded in 1985. The definition of punk is now "gay and retarded". What you used to call punk is something else now, and it's better that we don't know what it really is, because it would just become gay again.

I don't declare myself as Punk either. I call myself......NORMAL.

But no I call all of those Hot Topic kids......."Korn Kidz" because they are a generation of kids created by Korn.

Guest El Satanico

Tigger is right...punk is only punk if no one knows it's punk.

Once someone calls it punk, it stops being punk.

So kids if you want to be punk, don't be punk, if you're being punk, you're not punk. So don't be punk to be punk. But even if you're not being punk you still can't tell anyone you're punk, because then you still won't be punk.

Any questions

Tigger is right...punk is only punk if no one knows it's punk.

Once someone calls it punk, it stops being punk.

So kids if you want to be punk, don't be punk, if you're being punk, you're not punk. So don't be punk to be punk. But even if you're not being punk you still can't tell anyone you're punk, because then you still won't be punk.

Any questions

Lazy post copying bastards.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
The fact remains, AFI sucks donkey balls.

Oh Jesus Banky, shuteth the fuck uppeth. You're bitching is so mid-2003.

How clever. Sorry if I ask for substance, not pop shit.

At least The Strokes have a bit of depth to it. You may not like it, but technically, their music is very well structured. Certainly more than AFI.

Exactly how is AFI's music not structured? I'd say that AFI has some damn good production values and very listenable CD's. They're also a damn good live band.

I have no problem with the Strokes, but why are we even comparing the two? They're not really the same genre.

At least The Strokes have a bit of depth to it. You may not like it, but technically, their music is very well structured. Certainly more than AFI.

Have you even heard an AFI song besides "Girl's Not Grey" (which is undoubtedly one of their most 'poppy' songs)?

To be fair, I have'nt heard that many AFI songs (maybe a dozen or so), but from what I've heard they aren't as structurally good as The Strokes. Whereas AFI generally havebass and guitar as two more seperate entities, The Strokes tend to have guitar parts and bass interweaving. It's difficult to explain, but to me, The Strokes generally have songs that have more different parts going on at once, without ever sounding like they are different parts. It's not about production or listenability, as AFI are good on those terms, or even the skill of the individual parts, more the way that they gel together.

just dropping by to say that AFI is great, one of my favorite bands easily.

My favorite songs are:

- Days of the Phoenix

- Malleus Maleficarum

- Morning Star

- Totalinmortal

- Last Caress (awesome cover)

- The Last Kiss

- Silver & Cold

and like 20 more, they're excellent

I wanna know where the Strokes comparisons came from.

I mean I was unaware they were even in the same musical category to be compared.

It seems like going "I like Metallica" and someone else going "Yeah but I think that Justin Timberlake is better..." It's like WTF? Where's the comparison?

Guest macheteofodin

I liked the "All Hallows" ep...but other than that, I'm not much of an AFI fan. When I bought "Black Sails...." I was kind of disappointed with it. It sounds like hair metal meets punk. Also, the "I'm a depressed, whiney, bitch" thing gets old fast. I'm tempted to call AFI the dreaded E word (dreaded only if you hate the style of music like I do).

Guest JudasSault
I wanna know where the Strokes comparisons came from.

I mean I was unaware they were even in the same musical category to be compared.

It seems like going "I like Metallica" and someone else going "Yeah but I think that Justin Timberlake is better..." It's like WTF? Where's the comparison?

Justin Timberlake > Metallica

true story!