TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Okay first note this does not have to be a One and Only topic. When a major free agent signing or trade goes down it can of course have its own topic. This is just to condense discussion of where certain players might go and rumored trades to one topic. That being said still feel free to post free agent signings and trades that happen in this topic.

Here is an almost complete list of free agents who can start signing with anyone on Monday:

ANAHEIM

Eric Owens of; Scott Spiezio 1b

BALTIMORE

Tony Batista, 3b; Albert Belle, of; Hector Carrasco, rhp; Deivi Cruz, ss; Scott Erickson, rhp; Brook Fordyce, c; Pat Hentgen, rhp; Kerry Ligtenberg, rhp; B.J. Surhoff, dh.

BOSTON

John Burkett, rhp; Bill Haselman, c; Todd Jones, rhp; Dave McCarty, of; Robert Person, rhp; Jeff Suppan, rhp; Mike Timlin, rhp; Todd Walker, 2b.

CHICAGO (AL)

Roberto Alomar, 2b; Sandy Alomar, c; Bartolo Colon, rhp; Carl Everett, of; Tom Gordon, rhp; Tony Graffanino, ss; Scott Sullivan, rhp.

CLEVELAND

Jason Bere, rhp; Ellis Burks, dh; Terry Mulholland, lhp; Mark Wohlers, rhp.

DETROIT

Shane Halter, 3b; Dean Palmer, dh; Matt Walbeck, c.

KANSAS CITY

Brian Anderson, lhp; Kevin Appier, rhp; Mike DiFelice, c; Jason Grimsley, rhp; Raul Ibanez, of; Curtis Leskanic, rhp; Alan Levine, rhp; Jose Lima, rhp; Graeme Lloyd, lhp; Brent Mayne, c; Thomas Prince, c; Joe Randa, 3b; Michael Tucker, of; Rondell White, of; Jamey Wright, rhp.

MINNESOTA

Mike Fetters, rhp; Chris Gomez, 2b; Eddie Guardado, lhp; LaTroy Hawkins, rhp; Denny Hocking, 2b; Jesse Orosco, rhp; Rick Reed, rhp; Kenny Rogers, lhp; Shannon Stewart, of.

NEW YORK (AL)

Roger Clemens, rhp; John Flaherty, c; Felix Heredia, rhp; Jeff Nelson, rhp; Antonio Osuna, rhp; Andy Pettitte, lhp; Ruben Sierra, dh; David Wells, lhp; Gabe White, rhp.

OAKLAND

Keith Foulke, rhp; Jose Guillen, of; Ricardo Rincon, lhp; Steve Sparks, rhp; Miguel Tejada, ss.

SEATTLE

Armando Benitez, rhp; Pat Borders, c; Mike Cameron, of; Shigetoshi Hasegawa, rhp; John Mabry, of; Mark McLemore, ss; Arthur Rhodes, rhp; Rey Sanchez, ss; Giovanni Carrera, rhp.

TAMPA BAY

Ben Grieve, dh; Travis Lee, 1b; Al Martin, dh; Rey Ordonez, ss; Carlos Reyes, rhp; Terry Shumpert, dh.

TEXAS

Juan Gonzalez, of; Rafael Palmeiro, dh; John Thomson, rhp; Ismael Valdes, rhp.

TORONTO

Mike Bordick, ss; Kelvim Escobar, rhp; Cory Lidle, rhp.

ARIZONA

Carlos Baerga, 1b; Miguel Batista, rhp; Mark Grace, 1b; Felix Jose, dh; Raul Mondesi, of; Mike Myers, lhp.

ATLANTA

Darren Bragg, of; Vinny Castilla, 3b; Julio Franco, 1b; Matt Franco, 1b; Roberto Hernandez, rhp; Darren Holmes, rhp; Javy Lopez, c; Greg Maddux, rhp; Kent Mercker, rhp; Shane Reynolds, rhp; Gary Sheffield, of.

CHICAGO (NL)

Antonio Alfonseca, rhp; Shawn Estes, lhp; Doug Glanville, of; Tom Goodwin, of; Mark Grudzielanek, 2b; Mark Guthrie, lhp; Eric Karros, 1b; Kenny Lofton, of; Troy O'Leary, of; Dave Veres, rhp; Tony Womack, ss.

CINCINNATI

Todd Van Poppel, rhp; Jimmy Haynes, rhp.

COLORADO

Greg Norton, 3b; Darren Oliver, lhp; Steve Reed, rhp; Chris Stynes, 3b; Mark Sweeney, of; Gregg Zaun, c.

FLORIDA

Luis Castillo, 2b; Andy Fox, 2b; Chad Fox, rhp; Lenny Harris, 3b; Rick Helling, rhp; Todd Hollandsworth, of; Mike Mordecai, 3b; Ivan Rodriguez, c; Ugueth Urbina, rhp; Gerald Williams, of.

HOUSTON

Brad Ausmus, c; Orlando Merced, of; Dan Miceli, rhp; Brian Moehler, rhp; Ron Villone, lhp; Jose Vizcaino, ss; Rick White, rhp.

LOS ANGELES

Wilson Alvarez, lhp; Andy Ashby, rhp; Jeromy Burnitz, of; Ron Coomer, 1b; Rickey Henderson, of; Brian Jordan, of; Tom Martin, lhp; Fred McGriff, 1b;Paul Quantrill, rhp; Robin Ventura, 3b.

MILWAUKEE

Dave Burba, rhp; Royce Clayton, ss; Keith Osik, c; Eduardo Perez, c; Todd Ritchie, rhp; Glendon Rusch, lhp; John Vander Wal, of.

MONTREAL

Wil Cordero, 1b; Vladimir Guerrero, of; Jose Mercedes, rhp; Fernando Tatis, 3b; Todd Zeile, 3b.

NEW YORK (NL)

Pedro Astacio, rhp; Jay Bell, 2b; Tony Clark, 1b; John Franco, lhp; Tsuyoshi Shinjo, of.

PHILADELPHIA

Terry Adams, rhp; Jose Mesa, rhp; Kevin Millwood, rhp; Dan Plesac, rhp; Todd Pratt, c; Kelly Stinnett, c; Turk Wendell, rhp;Mike Williams, rhp.

PITTSBURGH

Jose Hernandez, ss; Pat Meares, 2b; Jeff Reboulet, 2b; x-Pokey Reese Jr., 2b; Reggie Sanders, of; Matt Stairs, of; Julian Tavarez, rhp.

ST. LOUIS

Miguel Cairo, 2b; Chris Carpenter, rhp; Mike DeJean, rhp; Cal Eldred, rhp; Jeff Fassero, lhp; Joe Girardi, c; Sterling Hitchcock, rhp; Steve Kline, lhp; Lance Painter, rhp; Orlando Palmeiro, of; Eduardo Perez, of; Russ Springer, rhp; Garrett Stephenson, rhp; Brett Tomko, rhp; Fernando Vina, 2b; Chris Widger, c.

SAN DIEGO

Rod Beck, rhp.

SAN FRANCISCO

Rich Aurilia, ss; Marvin Benard, of; Jose Cruz Jr., of; Andres Galarraga, 1b; Jeffrey Hammonds, of; Dustin Hermanson, rhp; Sidney Ponson, rhp; Benito Santiago, c; J.T. Snow, 1b; Tim Worrell, rhp; Eric Young, 2b.

Edited by Bored

And let the bidding now begin on Albert Belle!

Huh?

Anyways... I'm really interested to see what the new Seattle GM is going to do this offseason.

And let the bidding now begin on Albert Belle!

Huh?

He's a free agent.

BALTIMORE

Tony Batista, 3b; Albert Belle, of;

I was being facetious, obviously. But at least now that human cancer is off the Orioles' payroll.

Anyways... I'm really interested to see what the new Seattle GM is going to do this offseason.

Hey, Albert Belle's a free agent. :D

CHICAGO (NL)

Antonio Alfonseca, rhp; Shawn Estes, lhp; Doug Glanville, of; Tom Goodwin, of; Mark Grudzielanek, 2b; Mark Guthrie, lhp; Eric Karros, 1b; Kenny Lofton, of; Troy O'Leary, of; Dave Veres, rhp; Tony Womack, ss.

I wouldn't mind it if the majority of that list wasn't back next year. Grudzielanek, Lofton, Goodwin, and Karros were the only ones who ever were really worth anything for the team, and even then, all of those guys are uncertain for next season.

TORONTO

Mike Bordick, ss; Kelvim Escobar, rhp; Cory Lidle, rhp.

I'm really hoping they can keep Escobar, but Lidle can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. Bordick's likely retiring, though I would love if he came back for one more year.

MONTREAL

Wil Cordero, 1b; Vladimir Guerrero, of; Jose Mercedes, rhp; Fernando Tatis, 3b; Todd Zeile, 3b.

Well, I can't see Tatis coming back and Cordero's probably gone, too. I'd like to see Zeile come back, but he still has other teams to hit on his 'Major League World Tour'. Oh yeah, there's that Guerrero guy, too, I hear he's pretty good...

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I'm still rooting for the White Sox to just trade everyone and start over.

As for the Cubs, if they dump Choi for the legendary Eric Karros, I will laugh. Muhaha.

Here is ESPN.com's Top 50 Free Agents which also makes prediction on where each free agent will go.

I know they did this last year and don't remember how accurate they were but I really have to question the prediction of Keith Foulke to the Braves. Maybe bob_barron can clue me in but is Smoltz being moved back to starter? If he isn't there is no way Foulke would sign and why would the Braves want him? Anyways odds are Foulke will re-sign with the A's or at least that's what is being reported at the moment but never know with this ownership.

Guest FrigidSoul

I like how they predict Colon going to the Yankees when its been all over the place that he told his agent "I don't want to play in New York"

Guest Anglesault
NEW YORK (AL)

Roger Clemens,

Obviously gone.

rhp; John Flaherty,

Should be back, pretty good for a back up, and, you know, you need a back up.

Felix Heredia,

Aside from the World Series, he was pretty good.

Jeff Nelson

Well, he could have been better.

,  Antonio Osuna,

Gone.

Ruben Sierra,

I'd take him back. He was really good in the post season.

Gabe White, rhp.

He was okay.

David Wells, lhp; Andy Pettite

They have to come back, or Weaver might be in the rotation.

Let's see the money that George throws at Colon, then see if he still feels that way about NY.

And I think it is retarded that they would move Smoltz back into the rotation now. While he may be a very good starter, I think he is just too valuable as the best closer in the league. Go out and sign a Ponson (who should probably be in the salary range with Foulke). Ortiz-Hampton-Ponson-Horatio Ramirez is not a bad starting 4.

Damn, I wished I followed a good baseball team. Looking at all of those free agents I realize Cincy will not sign anyone.

Don't forget the Reds lost Barry Larkin's $9 Million contract, so they have money to spend.

Here is just some quick notes to take from MLB.com's Hot Stove League Report from today:

-Paul Quantrill is interested in signing with the Phillies

-Brewers will take trade offers for Richie Sexson at the GM meetings. Giants might be interested.

-Braves are cutting close to $30 million in payroll. Javy Lopez, Greg Maddux, and Gary Sheffield all likely will be gone. Might consider trading Chipper Jones but he's a 10/5 guy so he could reject any trade.

-Giants might go after Vladimir Guerrero but affording him is another story.

-Red Sox are interested in Rich Aurillia but would want/need him to move to 2nd or 3rd which he might not wanna do.

-Orioles, Cubs, Padres, Yankees, and Cardinals are interested in Luis Castillo.

-The Rockies might bring back former Rockie players Eric Young, Vinny Castilla, and Pedro Astacio. Also interested in Robin Ventura, Jeff Suppan, and Wilson Alvarez.

-Cardinals need to cut payroll if they are to sign any major free agents.

-Pirates are interested in J.T. Snow and Joe Randa.

-Yankees will go after Japanese player Kazuo Matsui but he would have to switch positions since he's a shortstop.

-Red Sox appear to be close to re-signing Mike Timlin but Todd Walker might be leaving.

-Angels are frotrunner in trying to sign Korean first baseman Seung-Yeop Lee.

-Royals are going to try to sign Bentio Santiago.

-Orioles #1 target is Vladimir Guerrero. Brook Fordyce and Pat Hentgen are not expected back.

-Mike Cameron is likley gone from the Mariners and the Mets and Devil Rays are interested.

-Rangers will go after Jose Cruz Jr.

Guest FrigidSoul
Todd Walker has a bad attitude. He might be on his 3rd team in 3 seasons.

Its not due to his bad attitude, because he doesn't have one. The guy was solid for Boston and everybody in the clubhouse liked him. If he's not brought back it will be due to him wanting too much money

I wouldn't mind losing Walker personally although I like Timlin a lot(When he was with the Jays as well) so I'm happy that we're close to re-signing him. There's plenty of other 2B options in the FA Market(Aurilia could move there, Luis Castillo, Alomar, Grudzielanek)

Guest FrigidSoul

Alot of places are reporting that a 3 way deal could be in the works between Anaheim, Boston, and The Rangers.

Boston gets A-Rod and cash from Texas and Anaheim

Anaheim gets Nomar

Texas gets David Eckstein and pitching prospects from Anaheim

What places Plunderin?

Sheffield can go fuck himself and I think Javy was a contract year but Maddux and Chipper are my two favourite Braves EVER and losing them in one year would be way too much to handle

Guest FrigidSoul
Rangers Shopping A-Rod; Red Sox Interested

By Ken Davidoff

STAFF CORRESPONDENT

November 11, 2003

Phoenix - It was a strong free-agent crop that opened yesterday, with a flurry of attractive names hitting the market. There are starting pitchers (Bartolo Colon, Kevin Millwood), shortstops (Miguel Tejada, possibly Kazuo Matsui) and rightfielders (Vladimir Guerrero, Gary Sheffield). General managers had so many options to contemplate at their meetings at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa.

Yet the best player available is anything but free, and he could be the sparkplug for massive change in as many as three organizations.

The Rangers are determined to unload shortstop Alex Rodriguez, according to a National League source, and baseball's highest-paid player seems quite amenable to going elsewhere. Recently, Texas has discussed a potentially enormous three-way trade with the Red Sox and Angels.

In these discussions, the Rangers would send Rodriguez to the Red Sox, Boston would ship superstar shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to Anaheim and the Angels would send shortstop David Eckstein and a few pitchers to Texas.

The Rangers would get the raw end of the deal in terms of talent, but they would free themselves of the infamous 10-year, $252-million deal Rodriguez signed three years ago. He has seven years and $189 million left on the contract - he can opt out after 2007 - so the Rangers would have to ship money to the team that takes him.

Rodriguez has a complete no-trade clause, so the 28-year-old will have complete say over his destination. A source close to Rodriguez said the idea of playing in Boston, where ownership is willing to spend to win and where the fan base is passionate, intrigues him. He also would face his former best friend Derek Jeter and the Yankees 19 times a year.

Other teams that could take Rodriguez's contract include the Angels, Orioles and Dodgers. The Angels, under new owner Arturo Moreno, are intent on making an impact. If they can't get Rodriguez or Garciaparra, they could sign Tejada or the Japanese star Matsui. The Dodgers are changing owners, and once real-estate tycoon Frank McCourt takes over, they also seem inclined to make high-profile changes. Orioles owner Peter Angelos would probably have minimal reservations about investing so much in such a guaranteed performer.

The Mets and Yankees would be candidates for Rodriguez only because they could afford him. But the Mets have the promising, young Jose Reyes at shortstop, and they're looking to trim their payroll to the $90-million range, which would be impossible if they took on A-Rod's salary.

George Steinbrenner was infuriated this past summer when the Red Sox acquired relievers Scott Sauerbeck and Scott Williamson, so The Boss' temper would reach new heights if Boston could get Rodriguez. Yet with Jeter at shortstop, they'd have to ask him or A-Rod to move to third or second base. It's hard to fathom that either would agree to do so, especially since Jeter doesn't like Rodriguez anymore.

The $252-million deal between Rodriguez and the Rangers, so heavily criticized by Major League Baseball officials upon its announcement in December 2000, has fizzled because Texas finished last in all three seasons with Rodriguez. They have been unable to put together a decent pitching staff to support a lineup featuring potential Hall of Famers Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez.

Texas owner Tom Hicks, having lost much money on the Dallas Stars of the NHL, has decreed he won't spend significant money on the Rangers this offseason. That has further motivated Rodriguez to carry his talent and huge contract out of the Lone Star State.

Red Sox are probably hoping that Baltimore won't get shit in Free Agents, thus allowing them to trade Manny over there as Angelos wants somebody.

Sheffield can go fuck himself and I think Javy was a contract year but Maddux and Chipper are my two favourite Braves EVER and losing them in one year would be way too much to handle

...from that mlb.com report...

The possibility of trading Chipper Jones has been a hot topic in Atlanta, but Jones is 10-and-5 guy, meaning he can veto any deal, and his contract will pay him $14 million this year, $15 million in 2005 and $17 million in 2006.

If he's earning $46 million over the next three years, he has to PRODUCE to justify his large contract. As much as I love the guy, Sheffield would come at a cheaper cost with better offensive numbers.

What places Plunderin?

ESPNInsider.

Sheffield has done dick the past two years in the playoffs.

At least Chipper helped them win a couple of games and he's been a consistent producer every year.

Boy I'd hate to be a Ranger fan if they made that deal. I mean ya they have to cut payroll but to only get David Eckstein and a prospect in a deal involving A-Rod, that better be one Grade A, guarenteed future star, prospect. I can't see that deal happening.