TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

If I were a Ranger fan, and they managed to dump Arod's whole salary, I would be happy as hell. Granted Chan Ho Park's salary is hurting them more, since he is doing nothing, but that 25 million a year is an albatross. In this market you could rebuild a team, entirely, if you had 25 million to play with on the open market. Hell, that puts you in a position to get Vladimir and Tejada if you wanted to.

I don't think if they deal A-Rod they'd be a major player in the market this year but they might be next year. I think for this year its just cutting payroll period.

I think they would at least go after Miggy. You can't dump Arod's salary, then turn around and do nothing with that money. At least if they got Tejada, they can tell their fans that they got an MVP caliber replacement for Arod and are saving 10-15 mil a year.

If I was in charge of the rangers I wouldn't even flinch once at pulling the trigger on that deal. They don't have the pitching AT ALL to be able to compete next year so why not blow it up for a year and be a big player in Free Agency next year where they could build a pitching staff from Free Agents and prospects in their system. A-rod would be HUGE in Boston, and Nomar doesn't want to be here unlike A-Rod. Nomar not wanting to sign another long term deal in boston is the whole reason for any talks like this in the first place. Not to mention the fact that they know they cannot unload manny like they wanted to, at least not THIS year.

Report is the Rangers might offer Roger Clemens a "1989 Nolan Ryan" contract where he'd primarily only pitch at home so he'd be able to spend time with his family. Obviously this move is about increasing the Rangers attendance which is way down from a couple of years ago.

Hmm...A-Rod going to Boston. I've got mixed feelings.

That would certianly be intresting. Even though NOMAAH is a big name, I think if he left for A-Rod then A-Rod would be just as big, if not a bigger name then Nomar.

In the mean time...A-Rod is a looooooot of money. If they can get rid of Manny to a team that actually WANTS him, then this deal sounds very good to not pass up on to me.

Until then...I'm mixed.

Guest FrigidSoul

Like I said, if the the Orioles lose out on the FA market the Red Sox could easily get Baltimore to take him, then and only then would the A-Rod trade be something I see happening

From cnnsi.com

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, having made quick strikes for Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi and Hideki Matsui in the past three offseasons, has put Diamondbacks right-hander Curt Schilling atop his wish list this year, and it could take a three-way deal -- and a pile of cash, of course -- to make it happen. The Yankees are considering a trade for Schilling that would send first baseman Nick Johnson to Arizona, who would then flip Johnson and pitcher John Patterson to Milwaukee for first baseman Richie Sexson, according to one source familiar with the talks.

Schilling has one season remaining on his contract with the D'backs. The contract includes a full no-trade clause, which is why Schilling considers himself "a free agent with a contract." His worst-case scenario would be to remain in Arizona for another year, which is a scenario he has said he would enjoy, considering he lives there.

To drop his no-trade clause, Schilling, who turns 37 this week, would likely insist on a two- or three-year contract extension from the Yankees -- essentially treating this winter as a pre-emptive strike at the free-agent rights he would have next winter after playing out his contract in Arizona. Schilling is intrigued by the ideas of pitching for an annual contender; replacing Roger Clemens, one of his role models, in the New York rotation; and securing what will likely be the last major contract of his career.

The Phillies, however, are likely to compete with the Yankees for Schilling, though it would mean giving up one of their prized pitching prospects, left-hander Cole Hamels or righty Gavin Floyd. Schilling would consider a return to Philadelphia -- again, with any deal contingent on working out some sort of contract extension -- because he still maintains a home in the area. The Red Sox also are investigating Schilling's availability, though they don't hold the same appeal for him as the Phillies and Yankees do.

The Diamondbacks' talks with Milwaukee about Sexson have heated up recently, though the Brewers prefer Johnson over Arizona first baseman Lyle Overbay, who was part of the original package. Sexson, a potential free agent after next season, almost certainly will be traded in the coming weeks. In addition to dealing for Schilling, Steinbrenner wants to re-sign Andy Pettitte and sign free-agent right fielder Vladimir Guerrero, three moves that would send his payroll soaring toward $200 million. A rotation of Schilling (who earns $12 million next year), Mussina, Pettitte, Jose Contreras and Jon Lieber would cost Steinbrenner about $53 million next year, up from the $42 million he spent on his 2003 starters.

---------------------------

As a Phillie fan, I don't like the idea of that three team deal. I would prefer Vazquez, and I am not sure about giving up Floyd or Hamels for Schilling. But I want Schilling out there so the Phils have some leverage in any talks they decide on.

Cubs should go after Sexson and keep Grudzielanek. I'm too lazy to refer to the list from the other page so that's all I got. Oh and dump Estes for a better left-hander in the #5 slot. I'd move Clement into #3 as he looked better than Zambrano towards the end.

If I'm Texas, no way in hell do I trade A-Rod for Eckstein and prospects. You want an albatross? The Rangers paid Chan Ho Park $13 Million, and Rusty Greer $7 Million. $20 Million, and between the two of them they played seven games total. A-Rod's contract is not the problem. They're getting the bona-fide best shortstop in baseball. The problem is every other contract on the books. The good news however is that Gonzalez ($13 M), Palmeiro ($9 M), Carl Everett ($9 M), and Urbina ($4.5 M) are off the books. That's a good start. I think the Rangers can surprise people next year, especially with their young hitting.

Here are the quick notes to take from MLB.com's Hot Stove Report:

-Kevin Millwood hasn't ruled out returning to the Phillies. The Mets are interested in him.

-The New York Post says the Mets are interested in free agent closers Billy Koch and Keith Foulke. Koch isn't a free agent but its the New York Post so what do you expect?

-Richie Sexons trade rumor: Sexson to Arizona for Danny Batista, Junior Spivey, Craig Counsell, and John Patterson. Problem with that deal is the Brewers wouldn't cut that much payroll.

-Red Sox have entered the Luis Castillo sweepstakes.

-Cubs are interested in Ugueth Urbina.

-Chipper Jones apparantly hasn't heard anything about him being possibly traded. No plans to move him back to 3rd as Mark DeRosa is expected to take over the position.

-Robert Fick cleared waivers and the Expos are interested him.

-Rockies and Tigers are interested in Garrett Stephenson.

-Yankees and Mets might be interested in Fernando Vina.

-Another Richie Sexson trade rumor involving the Yankees and Diamondbacks in a three-way deal but it was reported by the New York Post and I can't quite figure out what the Diamondbacks are getting in the deal. I think Sexson ends up with the Yankees in their rumored, probably made up, deal.

-Rockies are uncertain if they can re-sign Steve Reed or agree to a deal with arbitration-eligible Justin Speier. They are interested in Raul Mondesi as they don't know if they can keep arbitration-eligible Jay Payton. Personal opinion: the Rockies GM is a moron with all the retreads and players on the downside of their career that they apparantly trying to sign.

-Red Sox are interested in Eddie Guardado and Keith Foulke. Trade possiblities for Curt Schilling and Javier Vazquez are out there.

-Rafael Palmeiro appears to be on his way out of Texas. The Orioles are interested and supposedly many other teams.

-Blue Jays might bring back former pitchers Paul Quantrill and Pat Hentgen.

-The Twins are looking to possibly trade A.J. Pierzynski and Eric Milton to clear payroll to try to sign their free agents.

-Tigers are trying to re-sign A.J. Hinch...I know you all needed to know that.

-The Royals have offered a two-year deal to Brian Anderson.

"-Another Richie Sexson trade rumor involving the Yankees and Diamondbacks in a three-way deal but it was reported by the New York Post and I can't quite figure out what the Diamondbacks are getting in the deal. I think Sexson ends up with the Yankees in their rumored, probably made up, deal."

Look a few posts up.

Nick Johnson, John Patterson, and cash to Brewers

Sexson to Dbacks

Schilling to Yankees

Edited by the pinjockey

-Blue Jays might bring back former pitchers Paul Quantrill and Pat Hentgen.

I read an article on that and it seems like they're more gung ho on getting Hentgen and if they can get Quantrill on top of that, that's just gravy.

"-Another Richie Sexson trade rumor involving the Yankees and Diamondbacks in a three-way deal but it was reported by the New York Post and I can't quite figure out what the Diamondbacks are getting in the deal. I think Sexson ends up with the Yankees in their rumored, probably made up, deal."

Look a few posts up.

Sexson to Dbacks

Schilling to Yankees

Oh I see...there wasn't a mention of Schilling so that was why I was confused.

Oh and if there is any truth to the rumor then the Yankees are out of their fucking minds getting a starting pitcher at the end of his career and giving up a young first baseman that they need now because Giambi is going need to DH a lot. Its 1980s all over again with a deal like that.

Cubs should go after Sexson and keep Grudzielanek. I'm too lazy to refer to the list from the other page so that's all I got. Oh and dump Estes for a better left-hander in the #5 slot. I'd move Clement into #3 as he looked better than Zambrano towards the end.

No way. The Cubs certainly don't need ANOTHER first baseman. Here's hoping to them letting Choi be the number one guy at the position. Sexson would be a great addition, but then that pretty much marks the end of Choi in Chicago and who knows if he'll break out any moment?

Definitely ditch Estes, but I wouldn't move Clement up over Zambrano. I like Clement, but he's got more experience than Zambrano, which is why he was better down the stretch. When Zambrano has played for more than one complete season and works the kinks out of his game by going through those growing pains, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. He could even end up being as good as Prior, if not better.

I'm a little mixed on Urbina. I mean, the Cubs could use a real closer, but he was pretty lousy when they needed him the most, and the Cubs need to focus on long relief before the closer role.

Look a few posts up.

Sexson to Dbacks

Schilling to Yankees

Oh I see...there wasn't a mention of Schilling so that was why I was confused.

Oh and if there is any truth to the rumor then the Yankees are out of their fucking minds getting a starting pitcher at the end of his career and giving up a young first baseman that they need now because Giambi is going need to DH a lot. Its 1980s all over again with a deal like that.

Schilling has a no trade clause, and has said he'd veto a trade to New York.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are dilusional. The Philadelphia Inquirer today mentioned that they are asking the Phillies, for Schilling, for three major league caliber players starting with Brett Myers.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Just for that I hope the Sexson deal is not true and they get stuck with Schilling.

If a two or three year extension gets put out in front of him, Schilling might change his tune.

I heard that has well.

In Minnesota it sound like they want to move salary like Jacque Jones. So they can resign Hawkins, and Stewart.

Here is today's notes from MLB.com's Hot Stove Report. I left out anything that's already been mentioned before.

-Curt Schilling has said that he will accept a trade to the Yankees.

-Marlins have made contract offers to Mike Lowell and Luis Castillo. An offer to Ivan Rodriguez should come soon.

-Mets and Phillies are interested in Ugueth Urbina.

-Astros are interested in Chad Fox.

-Phillies are looking for a set-up man. They talked to Tom Gordon but he wants to go some where he can close. If they don't re-sign Terry Adams they could go after LaTroy Hawkins, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, or Curt Leskanic.

-Phillies are interested in Danys Baez but they could only get him if the Indians don't tender him a contract. Haven't ruled out bringing back Kevin Millwood but might not want to give him the five-year deal he wants.

-Mets are interested in Kelvim Escobar.

-Astros re-signed Dan Miceli. They are trying to trade Richard Hidalgo and Geoff Blum. They want to re-sign Jose Vizcaino.

-Orioles might make a trade offer for Richie Sexson.

-Braves top priorities are Gary Sheffield and Curt Schilling.

-Todd Zeile isn't retiring.

-Cardinals/Dodgers trade rumor: Jim Edmonds for Odalis Perez and Guillermo Mota.

-Reds are interested in Shane Reynolds

-Rockies can't afford Jay Payton if he goes to arbitration but they still think they might be able to sign him to a contract. They are trying to re-sign Greg Norton and Chris Stynes.

-If David Wells has to have back surgery it will end any chance of him going back to the Yankees.

-Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels all laughed off the A-Rod/Nomar trade rumor.

-Rangers have now denied any rumor of them trying to sign Roger Clemens.

-John Thomson is unsure if he'll return to the Rangers.

-White Sox/Angels trade rumor: Magglio Ordonez for Troy Percival and Darrin Erstad. Orioles, Dodgers, Yankees, and Mets are all interested in Ordonez who is in the final year of his contract.

-Mets are interested in Shigetoshi Hasegawa.

-Tigers might bid on Miguel Tejada but they have a better shot at Rich Aurillia, Royce Clayton, or Rey Sanchez. Might also go after Todd Walker, Mark Grudzielanek, or Pokey Reese.

-Royals won't offer salary arbitration to any of their 15 free agents.

-Mariners, A's, Brewers, and Mets are interested in Raul Ibanez.

-Orioles are interested in Joe Randa.

-Blue Jays are interested in Tom Gordon and Chris Carpenter.

Phillies are looking for a set-up man. They talked to Tom Gordon but he wants to go some where he can close. If they don't re-sign Terry Adams they could go after LaTroy Hawkins, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, or Curt Leskanic.

-Phillies are interested in Danys Baez but they could only get him if the Indians don't tender him a contract. Haven't ruled out bringing back Kevin Millwood but might not want to give him the five-year deal he wants.

Hawkins would kick serious ass. Hasegawa and Leskanic are decent, but walk too many guys. Baez is a good idea. Kevin Millwood won't get a five year contract anywhere. Teams are learning their lesson from pitchers.

Tigers might bid on Miguel Tejada but they have a better shot at Rich Aurillia, Royce Clayton, or Rey Sanchez. Might also go after Todd Walker, Mark Grudzielanek, or Pokey Reese.

Royce Clayton? Alan Trammell would do a better job.

If Millwood does decide to come back to Philly (something I seriously, seriously doubt) it would make me a big fan of his. It would show he has a set of brass ones and the thickest skin of any athlete I have ever seen. Granted, his performance makes me not want him back, but it would certainly boost his character in my eyes.

And a back end pen of

Cormier

Urbina?

Wagner

:does that happiest fucking dance that was ever happy danced:

Guest FrigidSoul
Why are the Tigers even considering Royce Clayton, Rey Sanchez,and Pokey Reese.

Tigers might be signing Brent Abernathy, who got his requested release from the Royals...so as you can see, it can always get worse

Here are Thursday's notes from MLB.com's Hote Stove Report. Again anything already mentioned I left out.

-Mariners have offered a two-year deal to Shigetoshi Hasegawa.

-Javier Vazquez said he is flattered the Yankees want him.

-John Smoltz has suggested to the Braves that he return to the starting rotation if Greg Maddux is not re-signed.

-Odds are Curt Schilling will not end up with the Phillies as they have a policy against deferred contracts and half o his $12 million salary for 2004 is deferred. Reportedly Schilling would okay a trade to the Phillies if he is offered a one-yead deal with an option year. He would okay a trade to the Yankees only if he's offered a three-year extension.

-Japanese shortstop Kaz Matsui reportedly doesn't want to play for the Mets.

-Mets are now the latest team interested in Luis Castillo.

-Indians are interested in Ronnie Belliard.

-The Padres are on David Wells' wishlist.

-Peter Gammons says that A.J. Pierzynski will be traded to the Padres.

-Cardinals and Red Sox are interested in Pat Hentgen.

-Cardinals and Yankees are interested in Roberto Alomar.

-Dodgers are now another team possibly trying to trade for Richie Sexson.

-Dodgers are interested in Korean first baseman Seung-Yeop Lee.

-Apparantly 13 teams are interested in Scott Spiezio...well so says his agent.

-Devil Rays may have interest in Jose Cruz Jr., Reggie Sanders, Tom Gordon, Pat Hentgen, and Brian Anderson. They have talked to the Cardinals about a trade for Tino Martinez.

-Blue Jays back-up catcher Ken Huckaby is apparantly close to signing with the Rangers.

-Blue Jays are interested in Chris Gomez as Mike Bordick still plans to retire. Also report is Paul Quantrill will be out of their price range.

Guest FrigidSoul

and cause MLB.COM can't give ya what I gots here's a tidbit

Orioles don't have as much money to play with as they boasted they would in the off-season. Thus they declined options on Deivi Cruz and Kerry Lightenberg which will give them another $3mill to put towards Vlad. Right now they want a player who will put asses in the seats