TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

I was going to do the notes for yesterdays Hot Stove Report but a trade just reported between the A's and Padres.

ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics have agreed to a deal that will send catcher Ramon Hernandez and outfielder Terrence Long to the San Diego Padres for outfielder Mark Kotsay, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

The trade will be announced later Tuesday afternoon.

Damn I know Beane has always had a hard on for Kotsay but fuck Ramon had such a great year last year and is great at handling the pitching staff. Thrilled they dumped Long's salary but damn Ramon was a fan favorite so there will be some pissed off people.

Ugh liking this trade even less...Kotsay hit .266 with only 7 homeruns last year. Ramon hit .273 with 21 homeruns. What is Beane thinking on this one? Okay this was the guy that looks like a genius on almost every trade but the A's should have asked for more than Kotsay.

Edited by Bored

As far as I'm concerned, the greatest name in baseball history is either Jigger Statz, or Rusty Kuntz.

Honorable mention: the duo of Milton Bradley and Coco Crisp.

Hot trade newz:

The Texas Rangers may trade Alex Rodriguez to the Chicago Cubs in return for Carlos Zambrano, Juan Cruz, and Alex Gonzalez. Source: the guy next to me in AP economics. I trust him.

Guest O.J. Hart

Today(11-17)

-Toronto Blue Jays sign Pat Hentgen to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million(i think thats how much)

-The Oakland A's trade C Ramon Hernandez and OF Terrence Long to the San Diego Padres for Mark Kotsay.

Oops, ignore that, the Hentgen signing was already reported.

Edited by O.J. Hart

I can see what's so great about Kotsay. The guy's an upgrade at OBP(.338) and SLG compared to Hernandez and especially Long. Hernandez really had a sub-par season(.273 BA, .331 OBP, .458 SLG) with his 21 HR's only being the main thing that vaulted him above Kotsay. In the 3 seasons prior, Hernandez hit .241, .254 and .233!! That's freaking abysmal. The A's could easily get a better hitting catcher off the FA market who could handle the pitching staff just as well. Kotsay's career numbers(.281 BA, .338 OBP*Beating Hernandez's high* and .418 SLG). Only downgrade IMO is the SLG%.

Hernandez really had a sub-par season(.273 BA, .331 OBP, .458 SLG) with his 21 HR's only being the main thing that vaulted him above Kotsay.

:huh: Are you kidding me? I know he's not Jorge Posada but that's a subpar season for a catcher? Wow.

Ramon had a great year trust me and he's excellent at handling the pitching staff. The Big Three won't be happy at all about trading Ramon trust me on that. Kotsay also has back problems which have to be a concern and the A's don't have anyone ready to step in at catcher except maybe Adam Melhuse but that's doubtful and the A's won't spend the money to get someone like Ivan Rodriguez. I will grant you this about how Ramon really didn't do much offensively before this season so there is a chance that this past season was a fluke.

Should be noted the trade still isn't official and Padres' GM Kevin Towers said something about details still being hammered out. My guess its about money and/or a prospect being also sent to the A's.

I was just looking at other catchers and found it interesting that Varitek in the #9 spot(usually) hit .273 for the season with a better OBP(.351) and SLG(.512). Also as comparisons...Benji Molina hit .281 for the Angels, Brook Fordyce hit .273 for the Orioles, Paul Lo Duca also hit .273 with a .4 better OBP(.335). Eddie Perez hit .271 as well for the Brewers so although Hernandez may have broken out a little this season there are quite a few guys who could match his season not to mention the guys who had better seasons((Jason Varitek, Mike Lieberthal, Ivan Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Pierzynski, etc.).

-Toronto Blue Jays sign Pat Hentgen to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million(i think thats how much)

And it's FUCKING STUPID the Orioles didn't pick up his option, considering the way he pitched down the stretch last season. The guy's a former Cy Young for chrissakes, and he looked to be getting some good form back last year. For two supposedly pitching-conscious executives, Beattie and Flanagan sure dropped the ball on this one.

I wouldn't go that far. He's 34, and a 4.09 ERA isn't anything to write home about.

Astros sign Brad Ausmus for another two years, thus handicapping their lineup yet again. He's 34, and coming off a season where he hit .229. Why the heck do the Astros keep bringing him back?

I wouldn't go that far. He's 34, and a 4.09 ERA isn't anything to write home about.

Astros sign Brad Ausmus for another two years, thus handicapping their lineup yet again. He's 34, and coming off a season where he hit .229. Why the heck do the Astros keep bringing him back?

defense, that's all anyone ever says.

Why the heck do the Astros keep bringing him back?

Because he's "great with the young pitching staff." That's the accepted line here, for whatever reason.

Anyway, according the sports radio here, the Astros aren't saying how much money the deal is for, but that "sources" indicate it's $2 mil per year. Seems a bit high for a guy who can't hit .230 with just about zero power, but it's certainly more reasonable than the $5.5 mil they paid him last year.

Guest FrigidSoul

Shinjo is going back to Japan to play for the Nippon Ham Fighters. While I could careless about Shinjo I have to say that's one rocking team name, I wonder if they're owned by Muslims.

Figure I will put this in here since it is still rumor as opposed to reality.

WIP (Philly sports radio) is reporting a Schilling deal is looking very likely in the next couple of days.

Schilling for Chase Utley, Cole Hamels, and change.

Not thrilled with giving up Hamels for Schilling. I have seen Hamels ranked as high as the second best minor league pitcher. Unless Schilling has another three or four years in him, this could be ugly. Schilling better be providing a parade or this could haunt Philadelphia for years to come.

Guest FrigidSoul

Schilling said where ever he goes he wants a 3-4 year extension in place. So barring major injury I would say he's set for that long.

Both Utley and Hamels along with possibly somebody else? Ouch

I don't mind Utley being thrown to someone. Polanco is a better 2B and he isn't good enough to be bumping anyone. And I don't think the other player is really going to be anything.

But I don't even think I would do Hamels-Schilling straight up. And I hate the idea of not giving up prospects for players. I was hoping they would be able to dump Floyd instead.

Ibanez goes to the Mariners

13 million for 3 years. But, it's because he "really wants to play in Seattle". Not because "They're going to overpay me".

And the Royals get the Mariners first round pick in 2004 since Seattle couldn't wait.

Guest FrigidSoul
And the Royals get the Mariners first round pick in 2004 since Seattle couldn't wait.

that's not automatic.

First off Ibanez had to have been offered arbitration which doesn't become public knowledge until Dec 7th

Second Ibanez has to be considered in the top 10-15 of his position in order for it to be a first round. Since he isn't in the top 10-15 for OFers(DH doesn't count) I think the Royals will get a second round most likely or a third round deffinate if they did offer Ibanez arby

Um.. no.

Ibanez was a type A free agent.

"It's the second year in a row the Mariners have wasted a first-round pick. Last year, it was Greg Colbrunn, whoended up collecting dust on the bench and then getting hurt. The Royals weren't going to offer Ibanez arbitration, so all the Mariners had to do was wait three weeks to sign him and they wouldn't have had to give up the pick."

Guest FrigidSoul
Um.. no.

Ibanez was a type A free agent.

There's no way Ibanez is a Type A. I can name about 20-30 OFers off the top of my head who had better years than him

But he was miserable on the mound when he first got off the DL. Then he found his groove again, and was the team's best starter the last two months of the season. It looked like he'd come all the way back from the surgery, and considering he's won a Cy Young before, so I was suprised the Orioles didn't re-sign him. Hell, it's not like the Jays gave him a ton of money. I'd rather have Hentgen than Rodrigo Lopez.

Guest FrigidSoul
I'd rather have Hentgen than Rodrigo Lopez.

You wouldn't if Rodrigo would take the damn off-season off. He pitches Winter Ball in Mexico so he's always got a tired arm.

Kurt Ainsworth, Damien Moss, and Lopez are a good young core of pitchers to build around...and Sidney PondScum will most likely be back with the O's

Guest FrigidSoul

Some of the people they have down as Class (A)'s didn't even play half a season. I don't know if I would trust that site

Some of the people they have down as Class (A)'s didn't even play half a season. I don't know if I would trust that site

Especially one that has Milwaukee listed as "Sucktown".

It has the freaking free agent list from Stats.

Can you name any free agents who got a letter that didn't play half of this season?

Come on..

Ibanez is a Type A free agent and the Royals get the Mariners first round pick.