TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Anglesault
Breaking news...Keith Foulke signs with the Red Sox 3-years, $21 million.

Gee and he kept saying he loved Oakland. Fuck this.

I agree. None of these fuckers have any integrity anymore. He probably got one million extra per year to go to Boston. Big whoop. If you like a city and an organization - why not make a sacrifice?

If you're gonna play baseball, you play for two reasons

To make money and win.

If you see a better shot to do both of these somewhere else, you'd have to be a retard to not take it.

So Pettitte is a retard?

Certainly.

He took less money to go to a team that gave him less of a chance to win.

The logic eludes me.

A tiny thing called respect. He got none from Steinbrenner. Steinbrenner made no serious attempt to sign Pettitte. He didn't visit him and try to convince him to resign. He didn't sit Pettitte down and explain to him how important he is to the team. Instead, he offered an aging and declining Sheffield $39 million, and actually expected Pettitte to take a paycut. Georgie Boy watched as Pettitte was given impressive offers from Houston and other teams, and only near the end tried to make a good offer.

Wait Wait Wait Wait.

If the Yankees offer was an OMG SLAP IN THE FACE OMG, how was the Astros offer for less money "impressive?"

And if I'm playing baseball, I worry less about my feelings and more about what's really important.

As Steinbrenner has treated Andy, he still gave Pettitte the ultimate gift: jewelery.

Because of the team that George built around Andy, Andy Pettitte was more than a great pitcher on a worthless team.

Maybe Andy will realize that. He has three years to think about it.

And if I'm playing baseball, I worry less about my feelings and more about what's really important.

Exactly. And pitching closer to home and his family was more important to Andy Pettitte, so he made a choice..

Yes, Steinbrenner threw a lot of money at Pettitte, but he waited until the last second to do it. It was exceedingly obvious to EVERYONE that Pettitte was not his primary free-agent priority, and that's a great disrespect to a guy who's done a lot for the Yankees organization.

Guest Anglesault
Exactly. And pitching closer to home and his family was more important to Andy Pettitte, so he made a choice..

Which makes it exceedingly obvious to me that he either has lost some of his of the game or he seriously needs to get hir priorities strait.

If you want to be home with the Mrs. so badly that take less money and go to an inferior team, baseball is clearly no longer as important to you as it once was. Just fucking retire. Then you can be home 24/7.

At the request of treble....

Batista fills out solid starting staff

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN Insider

NEW ORLEANS -- Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi copes with severe financial limitations in his quest to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. Rumor has it that he's begun shoveling snow off neighborhood driveways at $20 a pop to earn some spare free-agent spending money.

But Ricciardi is never too busy conversing with agents or fellow executives to keep his constituents informed. He even set up a Hot Stove hotline in his office this winter. When Cy Young winner Roy Halladay and outfielder Vernon Wells wanted updates on the team's off-season agenda, Ricciardi gave them the blow-by-blow.

"Vernon Wells called me a month ago out of the blue," Ricciardi said Friday. "I said, 'What's going on, Vernon -- you need something? He said, 'No, I just wanted to call and see how it's going.' "

The answer, judging from winter meetings lobby banter at the New Orleans Marriott, is pretty well, thanks. While the Yankees and Red Sox continue to dominate the seam-head chat rooms, Ricciardi has made several stealth acquisitions to elevate an 86-win team from intriguing to borderline dangerous.

A month ago Toronto's staff motto could have been, "It's Roy for nine, and four days of decline." Then Ricciardi started filling in the blanks. Miguel Batista, who signed a three-year, $13.1 million contract with Toronto on Friday, joined Pat Hentgen and Ted Lilly as the Blue Jays' third significant pitching acquisition in a span of three weeks.

"You want to talk about strategically doing things -- he has," an American League general manager said of Ricciardi. "He's worked really hard at getting pitching to catch up with his hitting. Those are good moves."

They're good in part because they're cost-efficient, a necessity for a franchise that's cutting its payroll from $53 million in 2003 to $50 million in 2004. The Jays will spend about $6.8 million total next year on Batista, Hentgen and Lilly, who won a combined 29 games and threw a total of 531 innings in 2003.

Those numbers should improve considerably in 2004. Lilly showed signs of breaking through with Oakland at age 27, going 6-1 with a 2.06 ERA in his final seven starts during a pennant race. Hentgen, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2001, began to regain the pop on his fastball and finished 6-3, 3.16 for Baltimore.

Batista lacks the upside of Kelvim Escobar, who signed a three-year, $18.75 million deal with Anaheim last month, but he's less of a mystery man. Batista has allowed a respectable 903 hits in 902 major-league innings. He was lights-out for Arizona in the 2001 World Series. And he keeps the ball in the park, a definite plus given how it tends to fly at SkyDome.

At the end of last season, Toronto's rotation consisted of Halladay, Escobar, Cory Lidle, Josh Towers and Mark Hendrickson. Now it's Halladay, Batista, Lilly, Hentgen and Towers. "That's an upgrade -- big-time," said a scout at the winter meetings.

No, they're not Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Derek Lowe & Co. But Ricciardi still had to hustle to acquire them. He showed the type of fervor typically reserved for Jehovah's witnesses or Howard Dean campaign workers.

Ricciardi made weekly calls to agent Martin Arburua starting in November to express interest in Batista. He called Arburua at 12:01 a.m. Monday (really) to bring things to a conclusion after Arizona declined to offer Batista salary arbitration by the midnight Sunday deadline. The Jays got themselves an experienced starter and saved the draft pick.

Ricciardi concedes the Jays exceeded their limit in signing reliever Kerry Ligtenberg for two years and $4.5 million. But after Tim Worrell and Scott Sullivan spurned Toronto, he had to find someone to pitch the eighth. The Jays are still hoping to add one more reliever -- say, Terry Adams -- for depth and occasional work in the ninth. Ligtenberg, Aquilino Lopez and the new guy could all have a chance to save games.

The Jays want to sign Halladay to a multiyear deal by spring training, and they might bring in Rey Sanchez for insurance at shortstop behind Chris Woodward. Regardless of what else happens, they've prospered by establishing a plan and sticking to it.

In September, Ricciardi gathered Tim McCleary, Dick Scott, Tony LaCava and Keith Law from his staff along with "all the kids in the office" to compile lists of pitchers who might be available, and under what circumstances.

The Jays devised a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C, and an extra plan or two in the event of unforeseen glitches. In the end, they basically achieved what they set out to do.

"I think we were very well-prepared, and a lot of things fell into place," Ricciardi said. "You also have to get a little lucky, because you can be well-prepared and totally fall on your face."

And you can do everything right and still finish third in the AL East behind New York and Boston. The Blue Jays, at least, deserve credit for trying.

Jerry Crasnick has covered baseball for the Cincinnati Post, the Denver Post and Bloomberg News Service. He has joined ESPN Insider as a regular contributor and can be reached via e-mail.

Which makes it exceedingly obvious to me that he either has lost some of his of the game or he seriously needs to get hir priorities strait.

If you want to be home with the Mrs. so badly that take less money and go to an inferior team, baseball is clearly no longer as important to you as it once was. Just fucking retire. Then you can be home 24/7.

Oh, grow up.

Just because you can't possibly fathom why someone wouldn't want to play for New York doesn't mean Pettitte needs to get his priorities straight. You would love it if Pettitte had lost some of his game, just so that the sting of Steinbrenner being a putz wouldn't hurt so much.

I bet Roger playing golf with Jeff Bagwell is really burning your ass right now, isn't it?

Wow...what an incredibly ignorant and hilarious statement. If I didn't have my SI gimmick sig going then that would be sig worthy.

Would you have predicted the Marlins beating the Yankees?

I did, and it's in print on these forums.

There where quite a few people picking the Marlins too beat the Yankees.

Breaking news...Keith Foulke signs with the Red Sox 3-years, $21 million.

Gee and he kept saying he loved Oakland. Fuck this.

It's not fun being a small-market team.

Greg Maddux has said he will not pitch in the American League, so you can stop talking about him going to the Yankees.

Source? I think most players will go for the best offer. If some team offers him 3 years, he'd likely take it.

This wouldn't suprise me. He's spent his entire career in the NL, it's highly possible he doesn't want to make the adjustments necessary when you change leagues.

If they are, which I'm not so sure of to begin with, just as likely to win the NL central as the Yankees are to win the East, as the Astros finally CLIMB THAT INSURMOUNTABLE MOUNTAIN that is winning a playoff series, okay, make that two, and find themselves in the World Series against the Yankees, who do you put your money on?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you until they play the upcoming season. But Houston has a good 1-3 now in Roy Oswalt, Wade Miller, and Andy Pettitte. They have Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Kent. They could be a very dangerous team if they make the playoffs.

With Encarciron gone, are the Marlins pretty much stuck with Conine?

Yes, but I wouldn't say stuck with. I'd prefer to say, they got rid of some dead weight that wasn't quite as good as Jeff Conine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1685877

Rondell White signs a two year contract worth $6 million. Obviously a plus for the Tigers. Craig Monroe had a .287 OBP last year. Rondoll White's career OBP of .343. He'll give the Tigers offense a much needed boost.

Edited by alkeiper

One of the players sent to the Dodgers in the Weaver/Brown trade is pitcher Yhency Brazoban. Brazoban isn't too impressive of a prospect. He has a nice K rate, but he walks too many batters. He's only pitched 64 innings professionally, and he's 23.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Thank God for Keith Foulke.

Sox line-up next season:

1. Johnny Damon

2. Bill Mueller

3. NOMAH~!

4. Manny

5. "Mr. Clutch" David Ortiz

6. Kevin Millar

7. Trot Nixon

8. Jason Varitek

9. Damian Jackson (assuming no 2B is signed)

Projected starting line-up:

1. Curt Schilling

2. Tim Wakefield

3. Pedro Martinez

4. Derek Lowe

5. Byung-Hyun Kim

Projected bullpen:

1. Bronson Arroyo

2. Mike Timlin

3. Alan Embree

4. Scott Williamson

5. Keith Foulke

Thank God.

On a side note: Any other Sox fan happy that the A-Rod trade is breaking down? I really, honestly don't want him playing in Boston.

I have nothing to add other than: isn't baseball great. The season is over and this thread has more pages then most of the current sports do. It warms my heart to see such love for the greatest game in the world.

Thank God for Keith Foulke.

Sox line-up next season:

1. Johnny Damon

2. Bill Mueller

3. NOMAH~!

4. Manny

5. "Mr. Clutch" David Ortiz

6.  Kevin Millar

7.  Trot Nixon

8.  Jason Varitek

9.  Damian Jackson (assuming no 2B is signed)

Projected starting line-up:

1. Curt Schilling

2. Tim Wakefield

3. Pedro Martinez

4. Derek Lowe

5. Byung-Hyun Kim

Projected bullpen:

1. Bronson Arroyo

2. Mike Timlin

3. Alan Embree

4. Scott Williamson

5. Keith Foulke

Thank God.

On a side note: Any other Sox fan happy that the A-Rod trade is breaking down? I really, honestly don't want him playing in Boston.

*see all my earlier posts here for answer*

I'm pretty sure the Sox are not done yet as they will pick up a defensive Second Baseman for cheapo dollars. With 8 other players that can surely hit they don't need to worry about major production from the 9 hole.

Also, in case you don't feel like looking back over previous posts of mine, A-Rod is not coming to Boston this year because there is no logical explanation that could justify it. Manny is not a detriment to the Voston red Sox despite what the local Media would like us to believe. When his teamates go on the record as saying they like Manny despite his quirky ways I tend to believe that over media speculation.

In fact, here's a little rule of mine pertaining to the Media on ANY subject:

Never believe anything unless it's a story about something that has actually happened.

PS. Williamson or Kim will be dealt or non-tendered. Reason being Williamson has said publicly that he only wants to start or close. Therefore they either start him #5 and let Kim go, or start Kim #5 and let Willy go. Theo says Williamson deserves to close, so he will send him somewhere he can do just that. Unfortunate as that is, they may be able to get that defensive Second Baseman.

EDIT: This has been corrected...Toronto is sending P Mark Hendrickson to Tampa Bay, Devil Rays send P Joe Kennedy to Colorado, and the Blue Jays receive P Justin Speier from the Rockies. Josh Towers will be the #5 starter for the Blue Jays behind Halladay, Lilly, Batista and Hentgen.

Edited by CanadianChris

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
I have nothing to add other than: isn't baseball great. The season is over and this thread has more pages then most of the current sports do. It warms my heart to see such love for the greatest game in the world.

not to rain on your parade, but this thread isn't exactly overflowing with baseball love.

EDIT: This has been corrected...Toronto is sending P Mark Hendrickson to Tampa Bay, Devil Rays send P Joe Kennedy to Colorado, and the Blue Jays receive P Justin Speier from the Rockies. Josh Towers will be the #5 starter for the Blue Jays behind Halladay, Lilly, Batista and Hentgen.

Josh Towers huh?

When he started with the Os he was awesome and then he just flamed out.

Rumor has it that the Os could sign some players today (Vlad,Tejada,J.Lopez) but the hot rumor of the day is that the Marlins might have enough "Special Money" to try and sign Vlad to a 2 year contract for more than the Os would be offering per year over a long term contract.

According to today's San Francisco Chronicle, the Tigers have offered Miguel Tejada a contract...now sit down for this one...at 7-years for $105 million.

The next best offer is the Orioles at 3-years, $27 million.

Wow.

I wonder if the Tigers realize in this market, you can build a pretty good core of a team for 15 mil a year. I understand they want a star to make it look like they care, but this is just silly and you know in two years Tejada will be a malcontent due to the losing and they won't be able to dump him.

On the Tejada side, if that offer is legit, he better take that god damn deal. Talk about playing for a winner all you want but 80 mil is 80 mil.

According to today's San Francisco Chronicle, the Tigers have offered Miguel Tejada a contract...now sit down for this one...at 7-years for $105 million.

Wow.

When did Tom Hicks take over the Tigers?

Guest Anglesault

Oh, grow up.

Just because you can't possibly fathom why someone wouldn't want to play for New York doesn't mean Pettitte needs to get his priorities straight.

I wouldn't understand if he did this to the red sox or any other superior team offering more money.

ou would love it if Pettitte had lost some of his game, just so that the sting of Steinbrenner being a putz wouldn't hurt so much.

I actually meant to say lost some of his love for the game. It was a typo.

And no, I'd actually LOVE for him to be a great pitcher on a go nowhere team.

Wow.

False. This is what the Chronicle reported:

The Tigers are the biggest surprise. Having earlier made the impression they were out of the bidding, they emerged with a reported $50 million over five years. Even at that amount, Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said the difference between the offer and Tejada's demand is "immense."

It's believed Tejada's agents made a counteroffer to the Tigers for seven years and $105 million, an astounding request that no team is expected to touch.

The link

If they get Tejada (Which they won't), I think the Tigers have an outside shot of winning the AL Central. They'll at least win 70 games if Tejada happens to sign with the Bad News Tigers.