TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Dodgers Cora breaks arm, team signs Lima, Hernandez

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers second baseman Alex Cora broke his right arm playing in the Puerto Rican winter league and was expected to be sidelined four to six weeks.

The Dodgers also announced they had signed pitcher Jose Lima and infielder Jose Hernandez to minor league contracts.

Cora was injured sliding into second base trying to break up a double play Sunday while playing for Caguas, Los Angeles spokesman John Olguin said Tuesday.

"We hope he'll be ready to go by early March," Olguin said.

The Dodgers report to spring training Feb. 18 in Vero Beach, Fla.

The 28-year-old Cora played in a career-high 148 games last season, hitting .249 with four homers and a career-high 34 RBIs. He played in 115 games in 2002, hitting a career-best .291 with five homers and 28 RBIs.

Cora has a .241 average in 546 big league games, all with the Dodgers.

Lima and Hernandez were invited to spring training as non-roster players.

Lima, 31, was 8-3 in 14 starts for the Kansas City Royals last season, winning his first seven decisions and earning AL pitcher of the month honors for July when he was 5-0 with a 1.44 ERA in five starts.

The right-hander began the season pitching for the independent Newark Bears, where he was 6-1 with a 2.33 ERA. He signed a minor league contract with the Royals on June 11.

Lima has a 71-77 record with a 5.13 ERA while pitching in 276 games for Detroit, Houstonand Kansas City. His best year was in 1999 when he went 21-10 for the Astros.

Hernandez, 34, played in 150 games for Colorado, the Chicago Cubs and Pittsburghlast season, hitting .225 with 13 homers and 57 RBIs.

Hernandez has played with seven different teams in 12 big-league seasons and hit 146 career homers. He was an NL All-Star in 2002, hitting .288 with 24 homers and 73 RBIs in 152 games for the Milwaukee Brewers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1720482

Melvin Mora got a 3 year 10.5 million contract. Some O's fans are bitching because they think thats overpaying, some O's fans are happy because Mora is a good player who can play just about any position and has somewhat decent numbers. I dont think its overpaying since he could have gotten $3 mil+ at Arbitration this year and instead is only making $2 mil this year.

Guest OctoberBlood

If last year wasn't a fluke (I don't believe in flukes in sports, btw) then he deserves it. I'm glad it's Mora getting it too, hes a good guy and really busted out last year with a 921 ops and like you said, can play almost any postion. Hopefully he continues to put up seasons like he did last year.

I had no idea Mora is already going to be 32 this season, so ya they overpaid for him as last year probably was a fluke. I always figured he was younger since hadn't been in the majors that long. That being said with the money Angelos throws around that isn't going to be a contract that cripples the Orioles a la Albert Belle.

Lima would've been toasted eventually in Kansas City. Home Runs are forever his achillies heel, so if he'd going to be successful, his best chance is in a place like Kansas City.

You'd think Dodger Stadium would be generous to Lima.

But, I did some park-factor related number munching for Lima

Lima at home: 7 games, 6.50 ERA, 40 hits, 26 runs, 5 HRs, 14 walks, 17 strikeouts

Lima on the road: 7 games, 3.38 ERA, 40 hits, 14 runs, 2 HRs, 12 walks, 15 strikeouts

Lima's home numbers converted to Dodger Stadium.. via park factors!

7 games, 4.12 ERA, 31 hits, 16 runs, 6 HRs, 13 walks, 23 strikeouts

so.. with a change from KC to LA.. Lima can shave off 9 hits, 10 runs, 1 walk and add 6 strikeouts.

If Lima could find a spot in the Dodger pen, he won't be too bad

Guest Bottled Black

Oh boy the Mets are close to signed another Outfielder. Lets see Floyd and Cameron are set in Left and Center, then we have Perez, Cedeno, Garcia, Duncan, and now they are close to signing Shane Spencer.

Yeah keep getting those outfielders don't worry about Pitching.

Oh boy the Mets are close to signed another Outfielder. Lets see Floyd and Cameron are set in Left and Center, then we have Perez, Cedeno, Garcia, Duncan, and now they are close to signing Shane Spencer.

Yeah keep getting those outfielders don't worry about Pitching.

They have Tom Glavine, Al Leiter, Steve Trachsel, Jae Seo, and Aaron Heilman. Do they need more pitching?

Guest Bottled Black

Yes, Heilman showed me absolutely nothing last year, IMO they need another starter. Unless this Kazmir kid is really as good as they say then I guess they can tough it out with Heilman for now, which I'd really rather not see.

Beyond Greg Maddux there isn't anyone out there for the Mets anyways and Maddux is just a temporary fix and the Mets need to think long term since they aren't going anywhere at the moment. Besides they got Rick Peterson now so the pitching is bound to be better this year.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet the Yankees signed Tyler Houston and at the moment he's their starting 3rd baseman but I seriously doubt they'll go all season with him. I know its fun to point and laugh at the Yankees losing Boone but really out of all their position players he was the one they could afford to lose.

Ya I saw that but don't bet on it happening as he hasn't played 3rd in 11 years. If they did that then who plays right field? Could move Bernie Williams out to left maybe and put Matsui in right but they want Bernie DHing everyday. If anyone were to move to 3rd it'd be Jeter as that's where he probably should be already but doesn't look like they will do it.

AP is reporting Ivan Rodriguez will sign with the Tigers on Friday, pending his physical.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet the Yankees signed Tyler Houston and at the moment he's their starting 3rd baseman but I seriously doubt they'll go all season with him. I know its fun to point and laugh at the Yankees losing Boone but really out of all their position players he was the one they could afford to lose.

It illustrates a larger problem that the Yankees can't afford to lose ANYONE, because they have absolutely no depth. They don't have anyone capable of filling in for an extended period of time, and god help them if the rotation can't stay healthy.

I certainly wouldn't rely on them. What puzzles me is that there's dozens of guys floating around who sign minor league contracts, and the Yankees haven't signed any of them. Rick Reed and the like aren't world beaters, but they can hold up the back end of a rotation. The Yankees have Jorge DePaula and that's it.

Anybody heard anything in regards to Greg Maddux? I've seen/heard nothing since the Cubs' reported offer to him, so unless I really missed something, which team is he supposed to be leaning towards?

Guest O.J. Hart

Not very big news, but the Pirates signed Jose Mesa to a minor league deal. I think he'll make the team as a closer. It's not a bad move, since it's a minor league deal and the Pirates need a guy experienced as a closer.

They also signed OF Chris Singleton to a minor league deal.

Not very big news, but the Pirates signed Jose Mesa to a minor league deal. I think he'll make the team as a closer. It's not a bad move, since it's a minor league deal and the Pirates need a guy experienced as a closer.

I can't fault the Pirates for giving Mesa a minor league contract. Its a low risk move, and Mesa could contribute from the pen. But for Mesa to take the closers' role is laughable. I don't even need statistics to back this up. Take it from a gabberflasted Phillies fan. Nothing good can come from letting Mesa pitch in the ninth inning.

I keep hearing about a trade involving the Expos and O's. Primary players involved are Jose Vidro to the O's and Brian Roberts to the Expos, although theres been a ton of rumors about other players in the deal. The whole rumor originated on the Expos Message Board on MLB.com by a poster named Base Ball who has posted several times detailing the whole deal. Basically the Expos want to trim payroll enough to sign I Rod and even though the rumors to I rod signing with the Tigers, the poster keeps saying that the deal will never happen (and as of now it hasn't). Jose Vidro is expendable because he won't sign a long term contract and will probably leave via free agency eventually.

Some of the other players rumored in the deal include Rodrigo Lopez for the O's and either Tony Armas or Livan Hernandez from the Expos although there have been other players mentioned in the various rumors. The O's are interested in Vidro, but not for him to play 2B, they want him to play at 3B with Hairston at 2B and Mora back in the OF. Vidro played several games at 3B earlier in his career so its possible.

Guest OctoberBlood

I don't understand why they'd want Hairston starting. Mora at 3rd, Vidro at 2nd and Bigbie in the outfield is a much better option than Hairston at 2nd, Mora in the OF, and Vidro at 3rd with Bigbie being on the bench, atleast IMO.

I HOPE this trade goes down. That would be wonderful.

Los Angeles Times is reporting that the A's are about to sign Eric Karros. They have nothing in terms of a solid right-hand bat off the bench and this will make the less left-handed against lefty starters. I assume they'll go with a Hatteberg/Karros platoon at first.

Los Angeles Times is reporting that the A's are about to sign Eric Karros. They have nothing in terms of a solid right-hand bat off the bench and this will make the less left-handed against lefty starters. I assume they'll go with a Hatteberg/Karros platoon at first.

Ewww........Eric Karros.

:throwup: