TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

'Simpsons' Celebrate 15 Years of Laughs

Guest Olympic Slam

The downward decline of the Simpsons can be traced back to the death of Phil Hartman. Everything just sort of fell apart after that. Every episode these days is littered with brutually unfunny "pop-culture references" and celebrity cameos. Oh, and does everyone else agree that Homer just isn't funny anymore? All he does is whine and scream!

I have season 1, 2, and 3 on DVD, and to be honest, only parts of 3 are good while I pretty much hate all of 1 and 2. Season 5-10 are my favorites, but I still like the newer ones. When I watch the Simpsons, I'm not looking for deep philosophical writing, I'm looking for funny, and while a lot of newer stuff isn't funny, I find a lot of the newer stuff funny.

And I've tried to like South Park, but I just can't get into it. Feels to juvenile (and it may not be, I'm just stating my opinion here) and I just don't like it.

South Park tends to do themselves in with the gross-out humour. I like the more subdued eps. like the one where the parents had to kick their kids out of the house and have them run-away so they wouldn't abduct them... that was so fucking brilliant. They tied it all together with the Mongolians and the Wall...

Season 1 is pretty bad. Season 2 has its moments and you can see the tide turn. Season 3 was awesome, though. That's when it "changed" (for the better). Season 4 and 5 was the pinnacle IMO, where that change was maximized to its full potential. Season 6 and 7 were good and if it were on 99% of the other shows out there, they would have been the best seasons of those shows. Season 6 was alot like season 2 in that it showed hints of failure. It featured more "gimmicky" eps. which would become a signature of the "later" simpsons episodes. But it also featured some really good episodes as well (Itchy and Scratchy Land, for example). Season 7 marked the "change" (more homer eps., more "pop culture" eps.) - though it did have some good shows. 8 and 9 lacked the consistency that the other seasons had but still came up with some worthwhile shows. They should have pulled a Seinfeld and ended it here. The rest isn't worth talking about.

Guest JMA

Personally, I loved seasons one and two of The Simpsons. The plots were still believable then.

Yeah, Homer was more of a real father in the early seasons. He actually had motivation and thought - rather than the evil, mindless, self-centred ass he became and is today. He actually had heart. My only problem was that he wasn't all that funny. In 3,4,5 he had a nice mix of heart and humour.

As said before, one of my biggest problems with the newer Simpsons in the last couple years is that it's become SNL, i.e. new celebrity guest each week, and said celeb almost always play themselves rather than a character like they did in the old days

"Oh my god! You're <random celebrity>!" got old a long time ago

Guest Olympic Slam
As said before, one of my biggest problems with the newer Simpsons in the last couple years is that it's become SNL, i.e. new celebrity guest each week, and said celeb almost always play themselves rather than a character like they did in the old days

"Oh my god! You're <random celebrity>!" got old a long time ago

*Simpsons Characters* - "Oh my god its ____________(flavor of the week celebrity)"

*Celebrity* - "___________(generic unfunny, pre-written remark)"

*Simpsons Character* - "What brings you to Springfield?"

Lather, rinse, repeat for 10-15 years.........