TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

It's not called "STAY" ... it's called "The Roadie Song" ..."Stay" is basically an alternate title but "The Roadie Song" is just so much better...like he wrote it specifically for them...

and how dare you snub "Running On Empty" and "Tender Is The Night"

Right. "The Roadie Song". I hate the cut version, where they only play the end chorus on the radio. The full version is just fantastic.

I gotta check out "Tender Is The Night", not familiar with it.

"Doctor My Eyes" is the best of his I have heard though.

Wasn't Derek and the Dominos also inducted??

Nope. I don't believe either them or Blind Faith have been given heavy consideration as much of that work is grouped in with Clapton's solo stuff a good bit of the time.

See, now that is something I don't understand about Kiss. I've heard they have more gold records then any other U.S. band in history, but how can that be if gold records are based on 500,000 albums sold and bands like Aerosmith, Metallica, Bon Jovi and Van Halen have all sold more albums?

It's actually pretty simple. Kiss has more albums than those bands you mention, and each album has sold at least 500,000 copies, which means each one has a Gold Certification. Now, bands like Aerosmith, Metallica, Bon Jovi, have at least 3 albums that have sold at least 7 million each (Multi-Platinum). So they have fewer albums but with higher sales. Kiss' best selling album is Alive! which has sold over 4 million US copies (that would mean 8 times Platinum since it's a double CD). Worldwide sales for Kiss stand at about 85 million copies.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Just curious...How many bands have gone Diamond?

Metallica's Black Album

G N' R's AFD

Michael Jackson's Thriller (2x)

Van Halen's self-titled debut, and 1984.

Speaking of VH's debut album which came out in 1978, when will they be inducted? I want to at least see Ed, Al, and the fat boy who plays the Jack Daniels Bass.

Guest Choken One

SO does it go

Gold

Platiium

Diamond

???? (25 million)

As far as I know only like 10 albums ever sold 25 million plus (Eagles Greatest Hits, Thriller and I'm sure Garth Brooks has)

Fans voting bands would be even worse. All it takes is a "reuinion" or "farewell" tour and the over the hill band suddenly becomes a new flavor of the month......WHAMO......voted in. I would say expand the "experts elites" and put some more diverse people in there. I mean I have never seen or heard what these guys bring to the table, however to say Sabbath was not heavily influencial and/or relevent to today's metal scene is pretty much blasphemy.

As far as I know only like 10 albums ever sold 25 million plus (Eagles Greatest Hits, Thriller and I'm sure Garth Brooks has)

Here are the few that have sold 20 milllion-plus for a single release (in the US):

Eagle's Greatest Hits - 28 million

Jacko's Thriller - 26 million

Pink Floyd's The Wall - 23 million

Led Zeppelin IV - 22 million

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits vols. 1 & 2 - 21 million

So, it's Gold for 500,000 copies, Platinum for 1,000,000, Multi-Platinum for each additional Million, and Diamond for 10 million. NO higher cert than that. Also of note, multi CD releases count for double certification. Case in point: Billy Joel's GHVI&II is accounted for double sales.

As far as who's got Diamond Cerifications, it's a bunch of people from Van Halen to Hootie & the Blowgish, Boston, Madonna, Led Zep, Springsteen, Prince, GN'R, and a lot more.

I mean I have never seen or heard what these guys bring to the table, however to say Sabbath was not heavily influencial and/or relevent to today's metal scene is pretty much blasphemy.

I'm pretty sure the Sabbath thing is more tied to Ozzy's insistance that they don't get in.

Maybe after Ozzy dies they'll let them in who knows.

They want a live performance at their ceremony and they aren't going to take "And now we induct Black Sabbath..." and nothing else because Ozzy and others are boycotting their own induction

Steve

Guest El Satanico

The Dells are a band that started in the late 50s. Think of the typical doo wop band, but the are one the top bands.