TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

An Opinion Or Two...

You don't like Supertramp? I think so much less of you now, TNT. I'd go with Bad Company then. They're a nice compliment to Led Zepplin since they were the first group signed to their Swan Song label. Or you could go with All Right Now by Free, who were the forerunners to Bad Company.

You don't like Supertramp? I think so much less of you now, TNT. I'd go with Bad Company then. They're a nice compliment to Led Zepplin since they were the first group signed to their Swan Song label. Or you could go with All Right Now by Free, who were the forerunners to Bad Company.

I discovered that I did like that Supertramp song that you suggested, so uh, that wins out.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
EDIT: Alright, now I need a second Pink Floyd track on the album to compliment "Comfortably Numb," showing how their sound changed. I probably want something off of their first album then... I was thinking "Astronomy Domine" or "The Scarecrow"... anyone got any suggestions?

"Careful with that Axe, Eugene"

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"

"Echoes" (long as fuck)

"Pigs (three different ones)"

"Grandchester Meadows"

You have to include Venom and Motörhead. In the overall sense of metal, they're as important, if not more so, as Black Sabbath is.

You can cop out and go with "Ace Of Spades" for Motörhead, or you can show some balls and go with "Killed By Death" or "Orgasmatron."

As for Venom, stick to the classics. "In League With Satan" or "Black Metal" will do.

Gotta agree with Inc on 'Ex Lion Tamer' by Wire, bands are still using that formula today and none have ever managed to better it. 'Strange' is another one, (The REM version is a cover of this).

A Lesson In British Music, Parts 1-4

1. The Beatles – “I Saw Her Standing There” (1963)

2. The Animals – “House of the Rising Sun” (1964)

3. Gerry and the Pacemakers – “Ferry Cross the Mersey” (1965)

4. The Yardbirds – “Heart Full of Soul” (1965)

5. The Rolling Stones – “Paint It Black” (1966)

6. The Beatles – “Taxman” (1966)

7. Creation – “Making Time” (1967)

8. Pink Floyd – “Astronomy Domine” (1967)

9. The Beatles – “Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds” (1967)

10. Cream – “Tales of Brave Ulysses” (1967)

11. The Beatles – “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (1968)

12. The Rolling Stones – “Street Fighting Man” (1968)

13. The Kinks – “Victoria” (1969)

14. The Who – “Pinball Wizard” (1969)

15. Led Zeppelin – “Dazed and Confused” (1969)

16. Black Sabbath – “Paranoid” (1971)

17. The Faces – “Bad ‘N’ Ruin” (1971)

18. David Bowie – “Andy Warhol” (1971)

19. Elton John – “Tiny Dancer” (1971)

20. Led Zeppelin – “When the Levee Breaks” (1971)

21. Deep Purple – “Smoke On the Water” (1972)

22. Led Zeppelin – “The Ocean” (1973)

23. Roxy Music – “In Every Dream Home a Heartache” (1973)

24. David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel” (1974)

25. Bad Company – “Bad Company” (1974)

26. Supertramp – “Bloody Well Right” (1974)

27. Judas Priest – “Dissident Aggressor” (1977)

28. Sex Pistols – “Anarchy In The UK” (1977)

29. The Vibrators – “Yeah Yeah Yeah” (1977)

30. The Adverts – “One Chord Wonders” (1977)

31. Buzzcocks – “Orgasm Addict” (1977)

32. The Clash – “London’s Burning” (1977)

33. Wire – “Ex Lion Tamer” (1977)

34. The Damned – “Neat, Neat, Neat” (1977)

35. X-Ray Spex – “Oh Bondage, Up Yours!” (1978)

36. Generation X – “Kiss Me Deadly” (1978)

37. Elvis Costello – “Radio Radio” (1978)

38. The Clash – “Train in Vain” (1979)

39. Pink Floyd – “Comfortably Numb” (1979)

40. Motörhead – “No Class” (1979)

41. Gang of Four – “Glass” (1979)

42. XTC – “Life Begins at the Hop” (1979)

43. Joy Division – “Isolation” (1980)

44. Public Image Limited – “Memories” (1980)

45. The Police – “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” (1980)

46. Queen – “Another One Bites the Dust” (1980)

47. The English Beat – “Mirror In the Bathroom” (1980)

48. The Clash – “The Magnificent Seven” (1980)

49. The Jam – “Town Called Malice” (1982)

50. A Flock of Seagulls – “D.N.A.” (1982)

51. Billy Idol – “White Wedding” (1982)

52. Queen w/ David Bowie – “Under Pressure” (1982)

53. Iron Maiden – “Run to the Hills” (1982)

54. Madness – “It Must Be Love” (1983)

55. The Pretenders – “Back On the Chain Gang” (1984)

56. Duran Duran – “View to a Kill” (1985)

57. Siouxsie and the Banshees – “Candy Man” (1986)

58. The Smiths – “Girlfriend in a Coma” (1987)

59. Stone Roses – “She Bangs the Drums” (1989)

60. New Order – “Run” (1989)

61. The Jesus and Mary Chain – “Head On” (1989)

62. The Cure – “Love Song” (1989)

63. Godflesh – “Devastator/Mighty Trust Krusher” (1990)

64. Big Audio Dynamite – “Rush” (1991)

65. Pet Shop Boys – “I Wouldn’t Normally Do This Kind of Thing” (1993)

66. Blur – “Universal” (1995)

67. Black Dog – “Chase the Manhattan” (1995)

68. The Prodigy – “Mindfields” (1997)

69. Radiohead – “Exit Music (For a Film)” (1997)

70. Lo Fidelity All-Stars – “Battle Flag” (1998)

71. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros – “Silver and Gold” (2002)

72. The Darkness – “I Believe In a Thing Called Love” (2002)

...There. *collapses* Any MAJOR complaints? I think it came together pretty well, but if there's a life-or-death situation, then I suppose I could make a few last minute altercations.

The only Oasis song I can really stand is 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' and even then, it's just cos I like the intro and I have to be drunk. But yeah, I guess you'd have to slot em in, and you'd have to pick 'Live Forever' I guess.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm pretty sure I find all of their material to be equally irritating, but I didn't mind "Supersonic" the first time I heard it. Liam Gallagher has one of the all-time worst voices in the history of rock music.

The only Oasis song I can really stand is 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' and even then, it's just cos I like the intro and I have to be drunk. But yeah, I guess you'd have to slot em in, and you'd have to pick 'Live Forever' I guess.

Eh, I know they're the big British chart-toppers of the '90's and all, but I've got Blur on their for the '90's pop stuff, so I'll just leave them off. Besides, I hate Oasis too.

The only other two that I know that I left off are Culture Club and Robyn Hitchcock, but meh. I think I'll leave it as it is.

Guest frowned

Oasis have released some top stuff during their time... also released some big piles of wank, wouldn't have hurt to include them but the world isn't going to end as a result. Think it's a little early to be including the Darkness too... but you never know... and if you wanted to typify the Who's style I'm not sure about Pinball Wizard although they weren't exactly the most generic of bands so that's no biggie. Only real omissions were the ska / reggae kinda things ie the Specials / UB40 but you did try to cover it with Madness, not a big thing to leave out though - not a big fan of them myself.

Personally a good compo, big props for including the X-Ray Spex... that's ace.

That final list was missing a few key bands

The Small Faces - Essential for any representation of the best 60's groups alongside Beatles/Kinks/Stones & The Who. They would cover the 'mod' angle as well.

The Undertones - Need to stans alongside The Buzzcocks in place of those few 2nd division punk bands that were included. 'Teenage Kicks' is one of the most obviously essential songs you could come up with outside the 60's groups.

The Pogues - Really unique and important band who stand out for obvious inclusion. Shane McGowan was a classic lyricist and key figure in British music.

The Specials - You can't leave out the best of the ska bands. A number of their songs were politically/socially conscious, 'Ghost Town' hitting number 1 was a crucial moment.

Echo & The Bunnymen - You can't be serious! One of the most popular and critically acclaimed bands of the 80's are worth one track aren't they?

You could do a really good 90's one on a smaller scale.

I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't include a single song off of London Calling. Even the radio-friendly "Train in Vain" would be nice, although the hidden gems like "Lost in the Supermarket" and "The Card Trick" are better songs.

I do like the fact that you didn't include "Stairway to Heaven." There are better songs off of Led Zeppelin IV, like "When the LEvee Breaks" and especially "Four Sticks." Aside from my Clash gripe, all I can think of that's missing is The Pogues. Good list.

I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't include a single song off of London Calling. Even the radio-friendly "Train in Vain" would be nice, although the hidden gems like "Lost in the Supermarket" and "The Card Trick" are better songs.

I do like the fact that you didn't include "Stairway to Heaven." There are better songs off of Led Zeppelin IV, like "When the LEvee Breaks" and especially "Four Sticks." Aside from my Clash gripe, all I can think of that's missing is The Pogues. Good list.

"Train in Vain" is indeed on there, and it replaced "Lost in the Supermarket." I like the latter a bit better, actually, but... actually, I don't know why I switched to "Train In Vain," but I did. But at least it's something off of the Clash's masterpiece.

Anyhow, all of the other complaints are noted, but that's the final list as of now... only thing I'm utterly devestated about is leaving off Echo and the Bunnymen. I don't know how the fuck I forgot about them, but it's a terrible terrible loss to not have them on there.

That final list was missing a few key bands

The Small Faces - Essential for any representation of the best 60's groups alongside Beatles/Kinks/Stones & The Who. They would cover the 'mod' angle as well.

Bad 'n Ruin by the Faces is on there. The Faces and the Small Faces are the same band. The difference being that Steve Marriot left to form Humble Pie and Jeff Beck Group members Rod Stewart and Ron Wood joined and the changed the name to the Faces.

"Train in Vain" is indeed on there, and it replaced "Lost in the Supermarket." I like the latter a bit better, actually, but... actually, I don't know why I switched to "Train In Vain," but I did. But at least it's something off of the Clash's masterpiece.

Oops, sorry I missed "Train in Vain" on your list. My mistake.

Alright, "Train In Vain" is being replaced by "Lost In the Supermarket," and I'm adding one more song to each disk.

So, Oasis, just because they were so popular in the '90's... Echo and the Bunnymen, because I can't believe I forgot them... Cradle of Filth... hrm, never heard more than a song or two from them, but I figure that I might want some black metal on there... aaaand... lesse, I'm sort of torn between the Pogues, the Specials, and the Undertones. Anyone got any arguments on why to choose one band over the other two? Also, any reccomendations for which Oasis/EatB/CoF songs to include? Any further help would be included... *sigh* and after this, the track list shall be FINAL. Heh.

EDIT: Undertones are no longer an option, as they formed in Ireland... was kind of wondering why I left them out. Also, I could leave Cradle of Filth out and include a later-days Elvis Costello song to show how much his sound changed... but, I dunno. I need to have this all figured out by Wednesday, so still, any help = appreciated.

i don't see any pulp on that list. i'm not a fan or anything, but they're pretty important.

there needs to be something from 'who's next' as a who selection, even if it means taking "pinball wizard" off the list. "baba o'reilly" and "won't get fooled again" are both incredible tracks that sum the band up perfectly, take your pick.

and this is just a matter of personal taste, but i'd put "street spirit" on as my radiohead track before "exit music." but i understand the reasoning for your pick, since 'ok computer' is a more important album and all.