TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

Old school Marvel

I've been raiding my local library recently for "Essential" collections. I've read the first volume for Daredevil, Spiderman, and 2 and 3 of Avengers. Maybe I'm just a superhero mark, but I really like a lot of what I see. I think that there is some good character devlopment going on, despite some really jarring stuff, like the constant insults directed at women("just a foolish female" and the like comes to mind). What do you guys think of early Marvel?

Early Marvel rocked. Sometimes the presentation was kind of odd, but that's understandable because they were putting so much stuff out. I like the Essentials books a lot, but my biggest gripe with them is the lack of color.

Early Marvel rocked. Sometimes the presentation was kind of odd, but that's understandable because they were putting so much stuff out. I like the Essentials books a lot, but my biggest gripe with them is the lack of color.

Yeah, lack of color kinda sucks, but considering that there's a LOT of comic in there I"m not complaining too loudly.

Yeah, lack of color kinda sucks, but considering that there's a LOT of comic in there I"m not complaining too loudly.

Definitely...It's the old quality/quantity debate. However with my current financial status, quantity is the way to go :)

Agreed on the B&W thing. The Masterworks Hardcover releases truly rock but they're expensive as hell. Barnes & NOble have exclusive sofcover reprints for the Masterworks collections but they only cover the first 10 issues or so, so far.

Other Essentials to check out are Essential Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four (Come on, Marvel! Is it too much to ask for a full-color Galactus Trilogy TPB???) Silver Surfer and the newly released Tomb of Dracula.

Marvel could do no wrong back then.

Been reading essential X-men. Good buy, bad dialogue, good stories/characters. Don't know what more to say about it. I plan to pick up essential Spider-man. How is essential Daredevil?

Been reading essential X-men. Good buy, bad dialogue, good stories/characters. Don't know what more to say about it. I plan to pick up essential Spider-man. How is essential Daredevil?

The dialogue was really bad. Did you catch on the part where Prof. X was thinking about his crush on Marvel Girl? :throwup:

Re: Prof X's crush

I started out with #2 for Dark Phoenix. That sounds crepy though, what did he say?

One thing is that every character sounds exactly the same. So you have reforming stone-killer Wolverine saying stupid shit like 'out of the frying pan and into the proverbial fire!' (I HATE that proverbial thing. If you're gonna use really cliched sayings, just USE them.)

Basically they append the same exact speaking style with:

Nightcrawler: mein got!

Colossus: Lenin's ghost!

Wolvie: bub

Storm: Goddess!

I hope the old ASM's didn't use the same comic-book diction for Parker that everyone seemed to use back then.

I see...the Prof. X thing was in issue #2 of the first Essential X-Men.

As far as Wolvie's cliches, thats all part of Chris Claremont. He's all about using them, especially any and all variations of "lets hit them hard and hit them fast."

Guest Salacious Crumb

Old school Marvel was amazing if you have DC comics from the same time period. Stan Lee was a genious by introducing real issues like racism, etc. into the comics.

Definitely. Lee actually went out as a respected social commentator on college lecture tours during the late 1960s/early1970s talking about the social commentary being presented in Marvel comics. DC really didn't get there till Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams run on Green Arrow/Green Lantern.

Just got myself a little essential spider-man lovin'.. and it's a really fun read. Peter's such a great likable neurotic loser hero, the soap opera aspects are good (though every one and their mom knows the outcomes) And Mary Jane's dialogue is the funniest, campiest 60's shit I've ever read. All around good stuff.

Anyone have a juxtaposition of what was goin on in DC?

That's why I think Marvel is so neat. Whereas Superman and Batman, DC's biggest heros are an alien with no real faults and a millionaire, respectively, Spiderman and the X Men connect so well because they are primarily outsiders and especially with X Men you see the race relations thing, which is great because kids were still reading comics back then and might have made some of them think about things. Even with Ultimate SPiderman(which is the only modern American comic I've really read), you see the tradition continue, although I think they shouldn't have kowtowed to the movie so much. I'm still more of a manga guy myself

There's "Essential X-Men" and there's also "Essential Uncanny X-Men".

One covers Wolverine and company. The other covers the original team.

There's "Essential X-Men" and there's also "Essential Uncanny X-Men".

One covers Wolverine and company. The other covers the original team.

It was the one with the original team by Lee and Kirby.

The dialogue was really bad. Did you catch on the part where Prof. X was thinking about his crush on Marvel Girl? :throwup:

Tell me more about this...

Because Marvel use that again at the beginning of Onslaught. And no one said it was already played.

I've been raiding my local library recently for "Essential" collections. I've read the first volume for Daredevil, Spiderman, and 2 and 3 of Avengers. Maybe I'm just a superhero mark, but I really like a lot of what I see. I think that there is some good character devlopment going on, despite some really jarring stuff, like the constant insults directed at women("just a foolish female" and the like comes to mind). What do you guys think of early Marvel?

Can you please post the content of Essential DD?

The dialogue was really bad. Did you catch on the part where Prof. X was thinking about his crush on Marvel Girl?  :throwup:

Tell me more about this...

Because Marvel use that again at the beginning of Onslaught. And no one said it was already played.

I don't have the actual TPB (I borrowed it from the library), but Prof X was just admitting to being attracted to Marvel Girl, but then rationalized how wrong it was because of age and the fact that he was in a mentorship position towards her.