TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SamoaRowe

One and Only Bitch about Black Friday!

Yes, Thanksgiving is this upcoming Thursday, but the real event is the day afterwards. The retail world refers to this day as Black Friday as it is the busiest shopping day of the year.

This means that thousands of morons across the country are going to wake up at the crack of dawn to get started on their Christmas shopping despite having a full month until the big day and already having had lots of time to do it before hand.

I work at Best Buy in Concord, NH. We are expecting a full line of people outside the store at 5 am, which is what has happened in past years. Needless to say, we are praying for a blizzard.

I just started a second job to work weekends for some extra cash. I have to work until midnight friday night. Luckily I am off from my weekday job because of the holiday or I'd be leaving home at 5am and not returning until 12:30am the next day.

Wow, I guess the holidays bring SOME good things.

My friday is pretty much working from 5 am until 2 pm. I'm a cashier and the expected line is going to circle around the entire store 2-3 times. Fortunately, there are going to be seven cashiers at all times, but it is still going to suck.

Anyone else praying for snow this weekend?

I feel sorry for those who will still be at the Supermarket to get fed to the locusts.

It's one thing to go Xmas shopping on Black Friday for stuff that you don't really need, but when you try going grocery shopping for essentials, the crowds just become all the more infuriating.

I went Xmas shopping on Black Friday two years ago just because it was the first Xmas where I was driving. I didn't really care much, I just wanted to see the spectacle and make fun of people.

This year I shall keep a straight face while at my register, but I'll be secretly wishing a blizzard the entire time.  :cheers:  

I am not waking up until noon as usual, why do I need to go to F'N Walmart at 6 in the morning?

Exactly.

No one needs to go shopping at that time on that date. Some people act as if it's the only day of the year that stores are open for business.

I'll be one of those people waiting in line for the early morning sales, if not for gifts than for some things for myself. I always take Black Friday out of work, and most times wind up with my Christmas shopping done by that weekend.

Ernie, can ya give any hints as to what your early morning sales are gonna include?

Its only 30% off select items that I do not need and I got what I needed last year Sony CD-R 50 pack for $10 at around 3 PM.

I really do not need a APEX DVD player for $30 nor do I need a TV/VCR all-in-one set by Orion for $50. If I want cheap crap like that I would go to Big Lots on a week day.

I am not waking up until noon as usual, why do I need to go to F'N Walmart at 6 in the morning?

Exactly.

No one needs to go shopping at that time on that date. Some people act as if it's the only day of the year that stores are open for business.

The stores hold sales from opening until like 10am and do giveaways and shit like that. The mobs know this and as soon as the doors open they swarm the place. Some of the early sales are crap, but some are pretty good, so fools go out at that time. My wife usually leaves the house about 4:30am and is gone all day and comes home with some good loot. Gives me all day to veg on the couch like a slob. I'm not complaining.

Gives me all day to veg on the couch like a slob. I'm not complaining.

Try to rationalize the BCS system and/or what team would be the biggest draw vs OU.

I've been on both sides of retail, grocery and merchandise (ex-Best Buy Merch, good luck to you Ernie)

Working the morning shift the day after Thanksgiving in merchandise can be hell, I imagine, but thankfully both years I worked there I started three hours before open and thus only had to work five hours into the day, I couldn't imagine managers and peeps who had to be that had to be there all day long.

In grocery, at least in my experience, the weekends after Thanksgiving were the lightest weekends I'd ever worked, since everyone was at the mall or elsewhere. Now the days leading up to Thanksgiving were another matter...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Fuck, Spoon, that's a death sentence. Bum a few valium off of someone. Maybe even a customer. Try to find an especially calm rotund housewife with a litter of sticky jackals in tow.

Let's see, I'll be nestled in my cozy warehouse, full of relaxing white noise, and favorites from the 70's, 80's, and 90's over the crackling radio. Not a customer in sight. No loud children, nothing out of the ordinary. Why, I may even get to go home early.

I'm working at a Target.

I will be there at 6am.

I am working in my department by myself.

I am working in the toy department.

Pray for me.

It's gonna be bad, but just be thankful you're not in electronics. That'd be even worse.

Toys at least people can just grab off the shelf and go. Worst thing you'll have to do is clean up the warzone. Fancy shiny things have all those cumbersome glass cases in the way.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That all depends on if they keep the video games with the toys, or with the electronics.

I remember Black Friday sucking a big one from my days in retail. You have to get up too early, stay later than you're supposed to, and work too bloody hard for a pack of ravenous wolves who don't appreciate anything you do in the slightest.

Government jobs >>>>>>>>> retail jobs

You have to get up too early, stay later than you're supposed to, and work too bloody hard for a pack of ravenous wolves who don't appreciate anything you do in the slightest.

But enough about your moderating duties, tell us about your retail days...

You have to get up too early, stay later than you're supposed to, and work too bloody hard for a pack of ravenous wolves who don't appreciate anything you do in the slightest.

But enough about your moderating duties, tell us about your retail days...

Heh.

At least I got paid to work in retail... ::"accidentally" kicks Dames in the junk:: Whoops, sorry, boss. :P

Guest stardust

Luckily I don't have to open this year (I did last year, boy, was that not fun), but I do have to close. I'm not sure which is gonna be worse, actually. Well, at least I don't have to get up at the BUTT crack of dawn.

The people who do have to open, though, I feel sorry for them. For one thing, people go crazy and act as though Old Navy actually has special sale prices that we don't normally have. Actually, we are selling $10-$15 scarves for $1.00 each starting when we open, but those will be gone pretty quickly, I'm guessing. And hell, I'll probably be up on register my entire shift anyway (which is fine with me). Register > floor or fitting room, especially on Black Friday.

I think what irritates me the most is that I have to drive two hours from Waco back up here that morning so I can get to work on time.

Guest Goodear

My dad LOVES black friday since its like the one say a year that everyone wakes up the same time he does and stores are open. He plans to get in and out of WalMart through the garden section. He's a sick person.

Guest stardust

The Garden section is the best place ever in Wal-Mart during the holidays. In and out quickly, for the most part.

Black Friday baffles me. Why you would need one specific day out of the entire year to do your Christmas shopping, I'll never know.

Yeah, but then again, you had your Thanksgiving a month ago, 'Nuck...

Ernie, can ya give any hints as to what your early morning sales are gonna include?

I haven't heard what our official morning sales on Friday will be, but I will probably find out tonight (i'm heading into work in about half an hour).

Best Buy usually does have a special like that (as do most retailers) so I expect that I will get some good news tonight. It will probably be something percent off of a bunch of smaller items (maybe printer ink, those are always on sale).

On a side note, I really hate any sort of coupons or sales like that. It messes the registers up and a lot is usually mispriced. This leads to lots of bitch customers.