TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

The Smiths

I had picked up Disintegration, which is hailed as last great pop album of the eighties or something. It wasn't great, didn't like it very much at all. When I first watched the South Park episode with Robert Smith in it I wondered that just because he was a good football player didn't mean that he deserved to be featured on South Park. Of course, after "THE" Ohio State nobody denied Smith's charisma, but that's all for naught as they were talking about the Robert Smith from the Cure. He likes to wear makeup and be sad and stuff. Not bad.

The Queen Is Dead blew me away though. Awesome stuff, really fucking great. Of course, I want to hear some more stuff before I decide for sure, but man that stuff is reaching Pixies level for me. So basically, what other stuff should I get to keep me happy?

I would have gotten an XTC disc, but Kazaa sucks so The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead is what I got instead. Not that I'm complaining, but I've heard lots of good things about English Settlement and I like the songs I've heard, like Dear God, Making Plans For Nigel, and Senses Working Overtime. Blast me with either Smiths or XTC stuff. It's all good.

Dan, who wants to assure everyone that Kazaa is just his Russian immigrant friend that works at the local HMV. Right.

When it comes to The Smiths, just get it all and ask questions later. The best band ever. With XTC albums,

Drums and Wires

Mummer

Skylarking

Nonsuch

Black Sea (maybe)

I personally didn't like English Settlement overall, and the good thing about XTC is that whilst they were distinctive, each album is different. So I think those I've listed are the 'best' but with such a range, opinions vary a lot. For example, I like to post pictures of 'Go 2' in threads cos Inc doesn't like it, and I consider it to have a sort of 'bad album charm'.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Making Plans For Nigel

Hey, Primus covered that on Miscellaneous Debris. That's a catchy little number. I've never heard the original, but I'd imagine it's good.

I agree with saturnmark4life... get everything by the Smiths and dig in. Same goes for Morrissey's solo stuff, though I'm pretty partial to Viva Hate, Bona Drag, and Your Arsenal.

XTC are unbelievably diverse and talented, so you definitely have a variety to choose from. Skylarking is one of my favourite all-time albums and is a must-own. Look for the 2000 remastered edition with both "Mermaid Smiled" and "Dear God". Each song appeared exclusively on the original UK and US albums versions respectively.

Side-note: my computer graphics teacher in college told me that she was at the Paris show where Andy Partridge got stage fright and swore off live performances. I blame her for having never seen them. ;)

The first two paragraphs of YPV's post read as if he's confusing the Cure and the Smiths.

Anyway, XTC is fucking great. English Settlement is one of my favorite albums by any band, ever, and Drums and Wires and Black Sea are godly.

No, I just felt like putting that in as sort of a comparison type thing. An opening. Looking at it, it sort of does look confusing, but point is I got both at the same time, since I had been wanting to get both for awhile, just never did, for whatever reason. I don't think The Cure are nearly as good as what I've heard, and The Smiths definitely lived up to the hype.

I swear I had heard "Making Plans" many times before, but I just never knew who had played it. I'm positive it's been featured in a bunch of movies, because there was a subconscious vibe when I had d/l it. As it stands, it's pretty damn good.

Speaking of bands that released their "Greatest" stuff in the 80s, what you guys think of Talking Heads and Sonic Youth? Those albums were put ahead of the Fucking Pixies on that Pitchfork list, although I know that list should be taken with a grain of salt. Still, it's worth finding out whether or not they actually are better.

Speaking of bands that released their "Greatest" stuff in the 80s, what you guys think of Talking Heads and Sonic Youth? Those albums were put ahead of the Fucking Pixies on that Pitchfork list, although I know that list should be taken with a grain of salt. Still, it's worth finding out whether or not they actually are better.

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation deserves any praise thrown at it--a gorgeous, maddening experience that earns every bit of 70 minute running time, not only was it the pinnacle of SY's career, I can't think of many records released by any band since that I'd hold in the same regard as that album.

I always thought Talking Heads' Remain in Light overrated--Fear of Music is the place to start with this band--but I respect it, and understand why so many people love it. It's too cold and distant for me, though.

The first two paragraphs of YPV's post read as if he's confusing the Cure and the Smiths.

Anyway, XTC is fucking great. English Settlement is one of my favorite albums by any band, ever, and Drums and Wires and Black Sea are godly.

I just never got the big deal about English Settlement, but I seem to agree with you on all the rest except Go 2, so I'll dig it out.

The More You Ignore Me

Asleep

Ask

Im So Sorry

Tomorrow

Panic

Still Ill

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

I Know Its Over

Everyday is Like Sunday

My personal Smiths recommendations would be The Queen Is Dead (and you apparently didn't need my help on that one) and Meat Is Murder. The first album is really not all that great and Strangeways, Here We Come is sort of spotty, although it certainly has its moments. You'd also be well served to pick up the Louder Than Bombs compilations, which features some excellent non-album tracks like "London" and "Rubber Ring" and whatever else. Morrissey's solo work is vastly underrated, in my opinion, and you'd do yourself a favor by checking out Bona Drag and Your Arsenal.

The Talking Heads are probably the best band to emerge in the late 70s, or at the very least the most consistent up until Little Creatures and all of David Byrne's stupid faux African bullshit. '77, More Songs About Buildings And Food, and Fear of Music are all stellar albums and a must-have for any self-respecting music fan. Like Incandenza, I am not partial to Remain In Light, but quite a few people are so you may want to give that one a shot.

And don't judge the Cure by Disintegration, which really only has about two good songs. Get Staring at the Sea, which is a compilation of all of their singles released prior to that album. It's really amazing and should, if all goes to plan, make you reconsider that band altogether.