TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BaldGhoti

"undisputed wwf world heavyweight championship"

Guest BaldGhoti

Okay.  They unified the WWF and WCW titles to make one belt, called the Undisputed Championship.

Then why the bloody 'ell is everyone calling it the "Undisputed WWF World Heavyweight Championship"?

Ugh.  Maybe I'm just an obnoxious proofreader, but...

Yeah, I hate that shit too. Do they really need to cram "WWF is better than WCW" down our throats? Espicially since WCW no longer exists. It should just be the Undisputed Championship.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

The WCW title has meant jack shit since Booker T lost it.

Guest ShamRock

I hate it.I always wonder why they call it the WWF Championship.They should just call it Unified World Championship.Period.

Yeah I dont know.

It doesnt really bug me though.

Maybe they do it because its still in the WWF.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

The WWF took over wcw so it's wwf. they should call it The WWF Unified Heavyweight Tittle or something.

i hate "undisputed" the tittle is constantly in dispute.

Guest chirs3

I think "Undisputed" is referring to the fact that there are no other world titles.

Guest El Satanico
I think "Undisputed" is referring to the fact that there are no other world titles.

Well that's great...if it was right. WWF isn't the only "world title" left...just the only one WWF recognizes. Unified would make much more sense.

Guest chirs3

Yea, I know. It's sort of disrespectful, them not even acknowledging anyone but themselves and their competition (was ECW/WCW, now is... no one).

Guest cobainwasmurdered

they din't even recognize their competitors tittles as "world" tittles really. If they did it would take away from the meaning of their own "world" belt.

Guest razazteca

It should not be called Undistuted World Champ because when was the last time it was defended outside of the USA......Canada does not count thats the 51st state.

Guest mastermind

This is from another forum. I thought it would fit this topic.

-----------------------

First off, I missed RAW. Does anybody know where I can see a picture of the new title belt? On that topic, I must agree that if they had planned on making one belt the whole time, then they should have presented it to Jericho the night he defeated Austin and Rock. Does the belt say Undisputed or Unified? That's another thing that's bothered me. Jericho unified the straps. That didn't make him the only world champion in the world. Maybe I'm being picky, but it just seems wrong, and the word undisputed sounds like a lie every time JR says it. Later...  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:   Friday April 5, 2002 - 12:47PM  

Name:   Darklight Warrior  

Email:   [email protected]  

Homepage:    

Comments:   The announcers have been pretty good at calling the belt the Undisputed World Wrestling Federation Title/Championship/whatever so it's not too offensive here.

I did see a pic of the belt up close and it looks more like a fusion of the old and older WWF title belts with a little of the Flair WCW belt thrown in instead of what I said earlier this week.

If I find it, I'll post the link.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:   Friday April 5, 2002 - 02:45PM  

Name:   Matt Benaka  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Calling it Undisputed is what actually gets under my skin. Their champion is disputed. He's disputed by the NWA World Champion, the World Champion's in Puerto Rico and Mexico and Japan and Europe. Jericho did unify the WWF and WCW straps ala Jerry Lawler and the WCWA and AWA Titles back in the day. Later...  

Date:   Friday April 5, 2002 - 03:52PM  

Name:   Charlie Harvell  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Lordy, Lordy.

The "Orange Goblin" in the Red and Yellow. Hulkamania lives.

Just caught a glimpse, last night, passing through the living room.

Date:   Friday April 5, 2002 - 07:00PM  

Name:   The Mothership  

Homepage:    

Comments:   I understand where you're coming from on the whole "undisputed" thing...but as Darklight pointed out, they do make a point of calling it the undisputed WWF championship...I suppose you can't really dispute that Triple H is the undisputed WWF Champ. No one anywhere else has that distinction. Calling it the unified championship doesn't hold water either, being that WCW is now defunct. As a matter of fact, now that they've discarded the two old belts, they might as well let this whole "undisputed" thing fade into the background. It may be a new belt, but it's just the WWF title now. Personally, I felt that having the champ carry both belts had much more visual impact, and both belts together did lend at least a little bit of credibility to the "undisputed" claim. Oh well.  

Date:   Saturday April 6, 2002 - 11:47AM  

Homepage:    

Comments:   I also like the dual belts. As Mothership said, it lended a little historical credibility to the whole thing. Also, if they ever decided to resurrect WCW they could split the titles again. As for calling him the Undisputed WWF Champion, you're right. They have stopped calling it a World Title. That is something else that bugs me. Why not emphasize that he is a World Champion? Did the WWF suddenly rejoin the NWA and drop their belt to regional status again? If they're not going to put enough thought into the World Championship, perhaps they should get rid of titles all together. Actuall, Vince would probably love the idea if it got him closer to making his shows Action Adventures instead of Sports Entertainment. Oh well. Later...  

Date:   Saturday April 6, 2002 - 08:42PM  

Name:   Earl @ Solie's  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Solie's Wrestling Radio for 4/6 is on the air!!

Date:   Saturday April 6, 2002 - 10:12PM  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Where is "Big Pappa Pump" Scott Stiener? With the exception of a few stars, I am getting sick of the WWF trying to bill a bunch of bozos a main eventers.  

Date:   Saturday April 6, 2002 - 11:15PM  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Guys - here's our friend, Miss Pamela with someone you might have heard about...

Date:   Sunday April 7, 2002 - 01:22PM  

Name:   Mr. Wappingers Falls  

Homepage:    

Comments:   I think everybody is being a little too anal about these titles. Remember, the average WWF fan which makes up the majority, couldn't care less about what the belt is actually called, nor do they consider any other federation, in Puerto Rico or anywhere else, to even exist, let alone have their champion on the same level. Vince is obviously booking to the mass audience. And if that is bothering people, then sadly, it is time for those people to think about not watching the WWF rather than do so just to complain about Vince McMahon every week.  

Date:   Sunday April 7, 2002 - 05:58PM  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Wrapps, do you recall when they were leading up to unifying the two belts? Vince was talking up the history of the World Title and appealing to fans who care about the history. That fact alone leaves him open to criticism for how he has handled the title picture. If he had never made a big deal about the history of the belt, I may no be so judgemental. For my own part, though, I seems like they don't give their champion enough credit when they stop calling him a World Champion, but rather a WWF Champion. As for Vince trying to appeal to the masses and not caring about the titles anymore, I contest that if Vince pushed the champions and the titles as much as he pushed the McMahon soap opera, then more mainstream fans would care. That's just my opinion though. Later...  

Date:   Monday April 8, 2002 - 12:57AM  

Name:   Mr. Wappingers Falls  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Still, remember, to the vast majority of wrestling fans, wreslting history consiists of the WWF and WCW (and to some, ECW). So in unifying those two belts, to most fans watching, they have created the only title to have for a wrestler. (Well, at least the biggest.) I don't necessarily like taking the word 'World' out of the name either, but I guess if they left it in (and therefore kept it as it was a year ago), you would have WCW fans saying how they really didn't unify the titles, but that they just basically dumped the WCW title.

I think the bigger question/complaint is with the lesser titles. It is ridiculous to take away these titles from half of the roster. With the split, they need to reinstate SOME of the lesser titles that they merged last year. Each side should have their own Intercontinental level title, Tag Titles, and one other, whether it it the Hardcore, Eurpoean (hopefully not) or Cruiserweight, or whatever. Either that or ALL champions should be free agents available for both shows.  

Date:   Monday April 8, 2002 - 01:28AM  

Name:   steele  

Homepage:    

Comments:   I've been gone a while so forgive my late comments on the "passing the torch" issue. I think senility has finally set in here at Solies because Andre didn't just job to Hogan, dissapear from the wrestling scene and die off 2 years later. Andre "passed the torch" at WM3 in a night and moment that all fans will remember forever... But Andre DEFEATED Hulk Hogan for the WWF title less than a year later in front of the largest viewing audience in wrestling history, and then Andre fought Hogan to a draw at WM4. Andre was still a main-eventer. Andre was still in Huge high-profile matches After WM3 including main-eventing the first Survivor Series against Hogan's Team and WINNING. Then Andre was in major fueds with "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Hacksaw Duggan, Jake "the Snake" Roberts, Big John Studd, Ultimate Warrior, And then He won the World Tag Team titles from Demolition with Haku. That's hardly walking away from the sport after "passing the torch". And Andre lived another 5 years or more after the big match at Mania, heck he was at the WM7. Just like Andre for him, Hogan has passed the torch to the Rock. Hogan's got a year or two left in him, but one of the highlights of his final WWF run will undoubtedly be his loss to the Rock at WM18, guaranteed.  

Date:   Monday April 8, 2002 - 08:29AM  

Name:   JimmyD  

Homepage:    

Comments:   Steele, that's pretty much how I see the situation and is the reason I posted it. When Rock & Hogan set up the challange that night on RAW, I posted here that it had "that" feel to it. The way the match came off at WM also had "that" feel to it.

With that being said, I'm willing to wait it out for a year or two to see if that is indeed what happened.  

Date:   Tuesday April 9, 2002 - 12:03AM  

Homepage:    

Comments:   steele - The situation with Andre in 1987 and with Hogan today

are not even roughly analagous. Hogan is in good health, in

fine condition, and his charisma is still very much intact.

I don't know where you got your stats, but just FYI -

Andre's last WrestleMania match was at WrestleMania VI in

1990. He had won the Tag Team Titles with Haku a little over

two weeks before that, then promptly lost them back to

Demolition. His match with Hogan at WrestleMania IV lasted

a little over 5 minutes and ended in a DDQ - that's not the

same thing as "wrestling to a draw. His "defeat" of Hogan

on Saturday Night Main Event was the result of the infamous

"Hebner twins double cross" - hardly a legitimate win. He

gave the title to Ted Dibiasi right after the match -

obviously it was set up that way because he was not capable

of maintaining a championship schedule. It is well established

that Andre was in poor health and in constant pain at the

time of his match with Hogan at Wrestlemania III. Anyone

who watched Andre wrestle from 1987 on could see that

he was a shadow of his former self. In 1990 he virtually

disappeared. He died in January of 1993 after living in

seclusion for the last years of his life.  

Showing 16 entries.

Guest Xstasy

I liked the idea of an "undisputed" title.  But they definately should have left out the WWF part!  Unified or United sounds good too!  But you know the WWF... gotta have their egoes blown up.

Guest chirs3

I understand why it was said then, but it really doesn't need to be called "Undisputed", "Unified", or anything else now. Their competition is gone.

I say we just go back to "The World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Championship"

I hate it.I always wonder why they call it the WWF Championship.They should just call it Unified World Championship.Period.

I agree with you; they should just call it the Unfied World Championship. However, if you have "Unified" in there, that implies the title is "unified" with other titles (like it is). That means the WCW logo would have to appear on the belt somewhere to give it some sense of legitimacy and logic (it would be strange to see a belt that said "Unified World Champion" with only the WWF logo; what's it "unifying" then, ya know? If you remember the "Unified" Championship Lawler had in the late 80's/early 90's, it had the AWA, CWA, CWF, and WCCW logos on the plates.). I seriously doubt Vince would EVER want/put the WCW logo on *his* World Title, so they just skirt around that issue by calling it the UnDisputed World Title. Personally, I think having a "Unified" belt with the WWF/WCW logos would be pretty badass.

Joe P.