TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kardo

Worst Final Fantasy Lead

Which has been the worst lead so far in a Final Fantasy Game?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which has been the worst lead so far in a Final Fantasy Game?

• Cecil (Final Fantasy IV)
    • Butz (Final Fantasy V)
    • Terra (Final Fantasy III/VI)
    • Cloud (Final Fantasy VII)
    • Squall (Final Fantasy VIII)
    • Zidane (Final Fantasy IX)
    • Tidus (Final Fantasy X)
    • Yuna (Final Fantasy X-2)

Guest Kamui
But leveling up is boring.

For some.

Yeah, leveling can be really fun in some RPGs. Tactics was one of them.

Ok so I hate hard games, so I'm gonna pass on giving it another chance.

Gah. It's tough but worthwhile. If you really find it too tough, you might want to play FFTA...it's quite a bit easier, and lets you get used to the way a tactics-style game plays. Or just grab Disgaea.

FFT is absolutely not hard *at all*

Its just easy to skip too far ahead.

If you take your time and level up, it's cake.

Just use summoner, dragoons, and the like and you WON'T lose.

The problem is that you don't know what "too far ahead" is until you're trapped in a dungeon and can't beat the boss, and then you're like "damn, I guess I got too far ahead". The game doesn't give you an indication of whether you're levelled enough until you're just stopped cold.

Levelling is... meh. It's not that bad in FFT, but it's still kind of boring. And it's very time consuming.

Well I saw a copy of FF Tactics(non greatest hits) today and so I decided I'll give it another chance.

FFT can be hard (especially the Wiegraf/Velius battle) but it is beatable. However, if you don't know what you are doing you will get crushed.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like screaming once you've realized your last save is before the Wiegraf fight...and then scrambling to see how many of your party members you can turn into Lancers.

As far as the topic goes...I'm throwing my hat in for Tidus, who not only managed to have the worst character design in the entire game, but was fortunate enough to be the most annoying character in your party. Much like the Squall/Rinoa affair, the Tidus/Yuna romance is basically one-sided, in terms of character depth and exposition.

Yuna, despite finding her role somewhat muddied by Final Fantasy X-2, is actually one of the strongest characters that the series has ever churned out, in my opinion, with Squall (OMG BACKLASH) being next in line.

As far as Squall goes, I've got to agree with the earlier sentiment of "Squall is fine - it's Rinoa who's the stupid bitch." The plot is a fucking mess, and all the other characters are worthless, but I'll handily give Square credit for taking the main character (Squall) and actually having him grow realistically through the course of a game. Contrast this with Zidane and Cloud, who basically maintain the same attitude through the whole game until a plot twist temporarily causes them to shift into a whole different realm of stupidity before returning to normal.

What bugs me is that at the very beginning of VII Cloud is like Squall, really anti-social. He tells Barret he doesn't care about the planet and just wants money, he is cold to Jessie and the others, and pretty much blows off Tifa when she talks to him about their childhood. Then during the reaid on Shinra HQ he just kinda changes out of no where.

I'd actually vote for Terra, for the sole reason that it was HER that started this whole god-damned trend of Square heroes being whiny incompetent non-humans who have to be babysat by the rest of the party. Fucking bitch. If you hated Squall or Tidus, the one to blame is standing RIGHT THERE.

Terra needing to be babysat my ass. Maybe in the World of Balance in-character, when Locke and Edgar are always stepping up for her, but once you get to the World of Ruin, she's the queen of tear-yo-ass up both in-game and in-character.

And FF Tactics might be my favorite Square game on the original Playstation. Sure, they don't have noses, but sooo much fun. It really is one of the few games where I got a bigger kick out of leveling up than the actual story.

Terra needing to be babysat my ass. Maybe in the World of Balance in-character, when Locke and Edgar are always stepping up for her, but once you get to the World of Ruin, she's the queen of tear-yo-ass up both in-game and in-character.

Huh? In game, Terra is a middling character at best; the real powerhouses like Sabin blow right past her in terms of usefullness. Also, in character? Sure, she eventually helps you kick Phunbaba's ass, but aside from that she just sits around moping and whining about her lack of a love life, as per usual.

Guest Skironox

Most people rate Terra as in the top three characters, but after Sabin and Relm, everyone else is so inferior.

In character? She didn't do one bit of moping. She proclaimed she finally knew what love was and spent the rest of the game knowing what it was all about.

Unlike the characters that followed suit, Terra actually had a reason for acting the way she did. She then gets over it and kicks ass. You can't really fault her for the laziness that followed in the design of the next main characters.

Most people rate Terra as in the top three characters, but after Sabin and Relm, everyone else is so inferior.

Relm? Guh? What was remotely interesting about her?

Celes was the most interesting character out of FFVI, plus she was extremely useful.

Guest Skironox
Relm? Guh? What was remotely interesting about her?

Celes was the most interesting character out of FFVI, plus she was extremely useful.

Never said she was interesting, but Relm had by far the highest magic stat of any character.

When you leveled her up to around level 70 or so, her HP's went through the roof.

Give her the Gem Box and the Economizer and you can beat Kefka just with her.

And FF Tactics might be my favorite Square game on the original Playstation.

Uh--it was made mostly by Enix. :rolleyes: That just goes to show how great Square is(n't).

Sorry guys, but she just didn't do ANYTHING interesting in the World of Ruin. She whines that she can't fight, gets her ass kicked to prove that she's right, sulks for a while, happens to be CONVENIENTLY PLACED in a situation where she gets to kick some ass, and then decides that she's "found herself". That's it.

I mean, how important can she be if you can kill Kefka and beat the game without bothering to ever pick her back up again? I'd argue that Celes was the real main character of FFVI.

What bugs me is that at the very beginning of VII Cloud is like Squall, really anti-social. He tells Barret he doesn't care about the planet and just wants money, he is cold to Jessie and the others, and pretty much blows off Tifa when she talks to him about their childhood. Then during the reaid on Shinra HQ he just kinda changes out of no where.

As soon as Rinoa goes unconcious, after barely tolerating her presence, Squall suddenly "can't live without her." That's almost as lazy as the spoiler plot twist.

You can beat Kefka without Terra in the party, but she always shows up in the end and is the main focus of the ending.

My favorite FF6 party was Terra, Cyan, Setzer, and Locke, if only on personality. If you spend the time to get all the characters back and go up against Kefka and the final tower, it really doesn't matter WHO you take. As long as your party isn't Gau, Mog, Umaro, and Gogo, you'll still win.

As for Celes, did anyone ever really use Runic? I found that in most of the game, it was useless, since it never seemed to absorb the all-effect spells like Meteor, Ultima, or any of the special abilities that really harmed your party. She was still a great fighter/magic-user combo.

Runic was useful early on, not so much later on. She was indeed an awesome fighter/magic-user combo, though...very useful in the party.

I liked using Celes/Sabin/Edgar, with the fourth slot going to whoever. Those blitzes were powerful, and I liked Edgar's tools (especially chainsaw).

I thought Gau was a pretty decent character, and Umaro was very useful in that dumb magic tower.

Inspired by all this chatter, I busted out the old SNES tonight and started a brand new FF6 game. The characters remain incredibly compelling, and for all the glory of polygons and 3-D, I really still love those sprites. I frickin' love this game.

Time to head off to Mount Koltz...

Inspired by all this chatter, I busted out the old SNES tonight and started a brand new FF6 game.  The characters remain incredibly compelling, and for all the glory of polygons and 3-D, I really still love those sprites.  I frickin' love this game.

Time to head off to Mount Koltz...

One thing I love about the sprites in FFVI is they can actually show emotion.

Rather than Cloud's blocky little hands or whatever those were moving to his head and then him just kinda twitching a bit, there are actual facial expressions (which even the newest ones haven't nailed down yet - 90% of FFX-2 is the cardboard faced Yuna). There's wagging of fingers (which even the newest ones can't do yet, goddamn clumpy FFX-2 hands). There's laughing that actually looks like laughing. There's crying. There's wigging out. There's that other one that I can't really describe but I know what it's saying.

Rather than relying on a text box that says:

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The sprites of VI can show it.

How is the finger wagging or Kefka spazzing out any different than Sephiroth's evil laugh, Cait Sith's dance, Rinoa putting her arms behind her back and leaning foward, Squall grabbing his forhead in frustration or Steiner jumping up and down? All of the polygon games have a bunch of those little animations, if not more.

As long as your party isn't Gau, Mog, Umaro, and Gogo, you'll still win.

You could win with that party, easily. Mog has good magic stats, Umaro isn't the greatest character, but he's got strong defensive stats and he's always useful to keep chipping away at the enemies' HP, Gau has a few Rages which aren't completely useless (the White Dragon and a couple others come to mind), and Gogo is THE BEST IN-BATTLE CHARACTER IN THE GAME. The guy can do anything you want him to, whether it's Blitzes, Swordtechs, use Tools, mimic whatever someone else just did, or whatever you can imagine him to do. Hell, with Gogo, you can summon the same Esper twice in a row in a battle.

If I were inventing the world's crappiest FFVI party, I'd say Strago, Shadow, Locke, and Gau. Maybe replace Locke with Relm, if their levels were below 60 or so.

Guest sean pyro
FFT is absolutely not hard *at all*

Once Orlandu joins your team the whole game becomes a cake walk, they made him so broken it wasn't even funny.