TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Maven

I saw the match that everybody was up in arms over, but I really didn't have a problem with Maven winning the hardcore title. I think one of the things about Maven that appeals to me is wondering what he will do next. When he went to the top rope, I was wondering what move he would do since I haven't gotten to see him wrestle that much. Sure he might have just ended up having a double axe handle being reversed into a chokeslam, but it is interesting to see just what he has learned during his WWF tenure. He might have to bust out some good offense soon though because it will only be a matter of time before people go from wondering what moves he knows to assuming he doesn't know any.

The booking of the match made sure that Maven won with a lot of help, which is acceptable since it is only the hardcore title and he is supposed to be a wrestler (there's a difference betwen being  rookie and doing a cameo). The way the booked the match allowed them to find something for Al Snow to do, which has been hard since maybe 1999. Undertaker got to put someone over with a run-in finish who by all rights should need a run-in finish to beat the Undertaker. Undertaker has been giving Maven the rub since the Royal Rumble, which should please some people who believe he should help get younger people over.

As far as people wanting new talent brought in and people from HWA and OVW getting on tv, you have to remember that the year is young and there was a lot of new talent brought in last year. RVD, Rhyno, Tajiri, Kidman, Booker T, Lance Storm, Chuck Palumbo, Hurricane Helms and Justin Credible are examples of new wrestlers who were brought in during 2001. While Maven may not have the experience or wrestling credentials of these guys, he does have at least one thing in common with them. He had national television exposure throughout the summer. He has more exposure on WWF television than Ron Waterman or Brock Lesnar; people know his name and face. They got to see him going through the rigors of Tough Enough, which apparently has been his gimmick. I think it is logical for him to get on tv now, rather than wait, because there are enough people in the WWF that can carry someone to a good match to help him maintain his momentum. It would be somewhat counterproductive to have him on Tough Enough, then have him disappear from sight.

Is he getting too much too soon? I don't know if he is getting too much, but he is getting alot very quickly. If he can get help from the booking team, Maven might be able to get over more than he is now. He needs some work, but I can point fingers at other people in the WWF that need work too. One of them used to be a "can't miss blue chipper." He got alot very soon, but the booking team helped him get over with catch phrases and everything else. He has headlined the past three Wrestlemanias and is a household name. Maven may achieve the same thing as, fall short of or possibly surpass the blue chipper. You never know what will happen.

Do you remember this guy? He was in the WCW main event picture for a week. He helped Booker T win the coal miner's glove match against Jeff Jarret and took a guitar shot over the head. He took the Steiner Recliner pretty well too. You have to love Russo sometimes.

friends6.jpg

What is that little thing with that Asian guy????? Is he wearing a mask or that his face????? For real wtf is that???? It is hard to see with the back ground.

Guest BrianScala

Does anyone else see the amazing similarities between Maven and Virgil? Both are about the same height & weight and both sell EXACTLY the same. Maven even has a mentor in Al Snow, just like Virgil had Roddy Piper.

I'd be careful though, if I were the WWF. I wouldn't make a habit out of having Maven win matches, hardcore or otherwise, with help from his friends. Sooner or later, that formula is bound to turn Maven heel (i.e. Jericho).

To the guy wondering about the pic, I put up an explanation above the pic. He appears on Howard Stern and was on Nitro in late 2000. He worked a mini-program with Jeff Jarret.

As far as Maven, I don't see him getting help turning him heel, but him turniing heel isn't bad as long as he gets heat.

Guest MARTYEWR

Actually, Maven as a heel would be *very* interesting. What I would do if he was a heel is to have him say stuff like, "I'm just really happy to be here", but whenever he loses a match, he gets frustrated and nails his opponent with a chairshot or two, but then realizes (sarcastically) what a mistake he made. For some reason, I think that would be neat.

Anyways, I was actually one of the critics of Maven's win, and I'm not as hard on it as before, because my main concern is that the Undertaker still looks strong going into his showdown with the Rock at No Way Out. Turns out it took 3 guys to beat him (with Rock doing the majority of the work, of course). If Rock doesn't have a strong opponent, then it's a real waste of a match.

Guest JAxlMorrison

Here's what i would do.....I was just thinking when is the last time Al Snow defeated somebody on the level of the Undertaker? So have Al reprise his crazy middle aged man who never got a push character he started to use in ECW until Headmania took over. He can be an insanely jealous mentor, then Have him literally destroy Maven backstage one time, or after one of his matches when he costs him the Hardcore title. Am I the only one who was disappointed when Al's top heel run lasted for about two weeks before Vince cut it off? What'd he do, beat The Rock, then basically disappear and come back teaming with Steve Blackman?

Guest Army Eye
What is that little thing with that Asian guy????? Is he wearing a mask or that his face????? For real wtf is that???? It is hard to see with the back ground.

go to the web site.. jollydwarf.com.  You will see.  And why do you put so many question marks?

Guest Haku

Maven looks like he could make it big in the WWF in time but only as a face. Having Maven who remained a "good guy" on the Tough Enough turning heel wouldn't work now if it was that harvard guy i could see another Kurt Angle in the making gimmick wise

Guest Ace309

Remember the 1-2-3 Kid?

Remember how much you really (secretly or otherwise) enjoyed it when he got the living crap beat out of him?

MAVEN, BABY!

I'd love to see Maven pull off a few wins against semi-solid competition and then just get absolutely slaughtered in a run-in finish. I'm not sure how well he can bump, but for Maven's character (the Tough Enough Rookie) to work, he has to get his ass kicked from here to next week and back. I thought the Undertaker match was well-worked, but it'll be a challenge to give Maven an excuse to win every week (such as the Undertaker pulling him up to inflict more punishment did this past week). Also, even though the run-in seems to be his best bet as a "finisher," it's only going to work one more time or so before the fans just get sick of it.

I say pull the belt off him and give him a series of matches where he almost gets the win, but not quite, and end up being frustrated and exploding (thanks MARTY).

Guest the BURNHAM

I think that it would be real funny if UT got a rematch and Maven only tried basic moves like wristlocks and hip tosses...jsut for him to get demolished by power moves...but have another run in in this match, then Maven can lose it to someone...

Guest Cataclysm911

Here's my thoughts on it. Maven shouldn't even be in the WWF. Tough Enough should have never been made.

Why make some stupid TV, to get some talentless hack to come on TV and look bad, when they could just bring up someone from OVW, or get someone from the Indies.

My Christ, why does Maven get titles while Christopher Daniels & Mike Modest are in dark matches? Can anyone explain this to me?

I assume the WWF made Tough Enough to compete with the other reality shows, but why should they care? If they put on good TV the ratings will come.

Maven should not have even been in the Royal Rumble, just like Drew Carey shouldn't have been in it last year.

At least Tough Enough 2 is allowing Indy wrestlers to join, so at least we have a chance to see someone win with talent.

Fuck Maven, he doesn't deserve anything. He's just a lucky ass kid, who got a brake that was TOO big.

Guest MARTYEWR
Here's what i would do.....I was just thinking when is the last time Al Snow defeated somebody on the level of the Undertaker? So have Al reprise his crazy middle aged man who never got a push character he started to use in ECW until Headmania took over. He can be an insanely jealous mentor, then Have him literally destroy Maven backstage one time, or after one of his matches when he costs him the Hardcore title. Am I the only one who was disappointed when Al's top heel run lasted for about two weeks before Vince cut it off? What'd he do, beat The Rock, then basically disappear and come back teaming with Steve Blackman?

I'm more pissed that Al Snow got pissed away in 1996. Carrying Marty Jannetty on his shoulders, his incredible talent caused the New Rockers to be one of the best tag teams in 1996, and he seriously could've made a singles career out of it. As far as 1999 goes, all things remaining the same, Al wasn't that great then and anything after the Rock angle, even had it been done better, wouldn't have led to great things for Al, IMO. However, the angle you gave might be very cool, but I think they should wait before they try something that drastic. Let Maven develop his skills before Al puts him over in the greatest of ways.

Guest FakeRazor

I think Maven is totally undeserving of his spot on the roster.  The guy has had what, like 6 months of training?  He gets to feud with the Undertaker, like him or not, who is a legend and will be remembered for years to come.  Imagine how you would feel if you were Lance Storm or Jerry Lynn, or anyone else that doesn't get pushed but deserves it, any of the indy talent that is just sitting at home waiting to get called up to the big show, the WWF.  People like that have been training for YEARS, elevating their game in hope of even getting a SHOT at the WWF.  Maven trains for 6 months, and he's a friggin superstar.  I think its complete bullshit.

Maybe a few years down the line I'd like to see Maven in the WWF as a serious wrestler.  But by then the novelty is gone.  "Tough Enough?  Oh that little contest a few years ago?  Who cares?"  The WWF is just capitalizing on the novelty that the show gave Maven, and its too bad.  It's really a slap in the face to all that have lived this business for years.  And now they're doing a Tough Enough 2....

Guest Big Poppa Popick

I think my Smark catchphrase applies here...

Quit your bitching.

It is foolish to say that wow, I would be really pissed if I was a WWF superstar and saw Maven getting a shot at the Undertaker a mini-feud.

The WWF is a company, and you work for the company.  You do your job, you get paid.

If they had a serious problem with Maven, I doubt you would see Mark Calloway, one of the main "locker-room leaders" working with him.

Maven is an experiment, and he is getting what is called the "initial push".  It happens all the time to any new debuting talent.  Jericho/Angle/RVD/Rock/Austin/HHH all recieved this.

Then comes the depush, when they learn how to wrestle with everyone else.  If Maven carries his character well, then he will overcome the depush like some dood, and go on to better things.  If not, welcome to midcard hell.

At this point, Maven has an exceptionally unique gimmick for the wrestling world.  No one has ever been watched learning how to wrestle.  Kayfabe was broken...and broken again.  Wrestling fans and non-fans alike saw someone learn to love the business, respect the business, and want to succeed in the business. He comes in as a regular person who has worked his way into the wwf... his gimmick is based in a broken kayfabe, a reality...

You sit there at your keyboard, and overanalyze everything.  Get off and go get some sun, I am sick of the incessant whining