TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

Die. Die. Die.

Alright, I know that this board is primarily used for people giving their opinions on music and stuff, but I've had a really bad day and I just need to vent.

Really not much of a story, actually, so I'll just get to what I'm upset about. I leave my backpack alone at a highschool for all of seven minutes, and when I come back, it's been utterly torn apart, with every pocket searched, from the way it looks. Now, nothing immediately seemed wrong. Everything I'd need for school was there. My sunglasses, Complete Works of Louis Carol book, and running shoes are there... everything seems to be alright.

...It only takes me about 2 more minutes to realize that my CD case has been stolen, and this brings one word to the forefront almost immediately -- "fuck." Now, I've had all the "shouldn't have left your backpack alone" and "should've had that at a public highschool in the first place" crap that I need for one day, and I'll admit that it was stupid, but still, I can't help but being absolutely furious at this whole thing, considering that music is more or less what gets me through each day. Mind you, these weren't all of my CD's... in fact, they're all rather concentrated into the indie pop genre, as I was just in an indie pop mood while packing my CD case, I suppose. This means of course that luckily all of my rock n' roll, metal, and especially Led Zeppelin CD's are still around, but still... the casualties were horrific. Let's take a look, shall we?

The Pixies -- "Surfa Rosa"

The Pixies -- "Doolittle"

The Pixies -- "Bossanova"

The Pixies -- "Trompe Le Monde"

Pavement -- "Slanted and Enchanted"

Joy Division -- "Unknown Pleasures"

Joy Division -- "Closer"

Beck -- "Mellow Gold"

Prince -- "Sign 'O' the Times"

'

David Bowie -- "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"

Jefferson Airplane -- "Surrealistic Pillow"

Hot Hot Heat -- "Making Up the Breakdown"

The Clash -- "Live -- From Here to Eternity"

The Dead Kennedys -- "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"

Siouxsie and the Banshees -- "The Seven Year Itch"

The Velvet Underground and Nico -- "Velvet Underground & Nico"

The Who -- "Live at Leeds"

The Jesus and Mary Chain -- "21 Singles"

The Breeders -- "Pod"

The Breeders -- "Last Splash"

Blondie -- "Parallel Lines"

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Grand total of $295.76 on amazon.com, after I'd done the math. I filed a report with the school in horrific detail including phrases such as "proverbially raped," "must die," and "mentally unstable," but I doubt they'll do anything. What am I going to do without any Pixies? I guess I should get a job or something, but until then, I'm just bitching and moaning to anyone who will listen.

I can't really think of any responses this might get, as it really wasn't anything to respond too, but I guess I should start some sort of discussion... Uh, what are your opinions on thievery, and.. uh, whaddya think of my collection? It doesn't really accurately represent the rest of what I've got at home, but still, that's about 1/5th of it, so yeah. Anyhow, not sure why anyone would read this, but I just needed to type it all out so that I could look at the list of CD's and the big number and cry. Oh well -- afterschool job, here I come...

Guest BAR

I got my The Wall stolen a while back. I had to buy another and it's not a cheap album. It got stolen from my car, though. I'm not one for taking CDs into school and if I do it's on the minimum.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

Life without access to The Pixies surely isn't worth living, for they are the greatest band this world has ever seen. My heart weeps for you.

Downloading cd's just isn't the same as having the real thing though. From now on though, copy the cds and take them with you.

No offense, but it should make you feel better knowing that whoever stole your CDs will be propably very dissappointed in what they picked up as their bounty. Its too indie ish for their mundane high school taste. They were propably hoping the new Korn was in it....

No offense, but it should make you feel better knowing that whoever stole your CDs will be propably very dissappointed in what they picked up as their bounty. Its too indie ish for their mundane high school taste. They were propably hoping the new Korn was in it....

You never know, they might become little indie kids instead.

Turning a metaller on to The Pixies = priceless

Nah, I'm betting whoever commited this atrocious act will see the cds that you have and throw them out for not being KoRn or Godsmack. Then, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they find you and try to beat you up for listening to that "little fag" Prince. And hey, that David Bowie's a fag too right?

I could only imagine the look on someone's face if they ever stole my CD's. "Okay, let's see what we got... uh, Tori Amos? Um... Metallica, ok, cool... a bunch of Broadway musicals, what the fuck? Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack?! Some dude named Tom Waits... some chick called Loreena McKinnett... and a bunch of unlabeled CDRs. All right, fuck it, I'm giving this shit back to that sick bastard."

Nah, I'm betting whoever commited this atrocious act will see the cds that you have and throw them out for not being KoRn or Godsmack. Then, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they find you and try to beat you up for listening to that "little fag" Prince. And hey, that David Bowie's a fag too right?

Yeah. It was the official "Let's beat this kid up because we're in high school" collection.

Yeah. It was the official "Let's beat this kid up because we're in high school" collection.

Yeah, the bright side that I was looking at was that my collection might educate some retarded little bastard in a music taste actually broader than 50 Cent. Anyhow, like someone else said -- not having the real thing is just too much for me. I mean, I'm not sure if it means that I'm a perfectionist, or an obsessive compulsive, or whatever, but when I put my copy of "Velvet Underground and Nico" I WANT to see a motherfucking banana, and when I'm rocking out to the Dead Kennedys, the man-possessed-image of Jello Biafra preaching to the crowd on the CD gives me a comforting feeling. Anyhow, I guess I'll buy them all back gradually (it IS Christmas, so I suppose I could score about ten of them from relatives right now and even my parents, as I think I've changed my mind on wanting a guitar) and maybe even put up a reward of $200-ish for anyone who returns them, considering that whoever took them probably is dissapointed with the loot anyway.

Oh, and just to further some conversation -- I'm always up for recommendations. Looking at what I've got right there, are there any albums that any of you might think that I just need to check out, judging from that? I'm always into getting new music recommended to me, and since you guys now have a vague idea of my tastes, it'd be a nice little touch to an otherwise devestating situation.

Thanks to anyone who replies, anyhow.

KKK's right. You might be able to repurchase the CDs at a used store, so keep your eyes out for it. And I totally agree/understand how you feel about wanting the original CD. Liner notes and cover art really help make an album special.

Perhaps you should check out the nearest  used-CD stores over the next week or so  -- maybe the thief will sell them...

That's what happened to a friend of mine. His storage bin was "broken into" (but we knew the bitch he shared it with stole them) and all his CDs (about 500 of them) came up missing!

But what do we see in the local used CD store a month later? Alot of his CDs! (the stuff no one else would like and rare imports/bootlegs and such) so he bit the bullet and bought alot of them back. He never did anything about the theft though.. which is surprising. If that were me I would have gone on a murderous rampage or something.

Anyway, That sucks... it looks like you had some good stuff there. Did your CDs have the cases with them? Because if they were just the caseless CDs I doubt they'd be able to sell them for anything.

Oh, and just to further some conversation -- I'm always up for recommendations. Looking at what I've got right there, are there any albums that any of you might think that I just need to check out, judging from that? I'm always into getting new music recommended to me, and since you guys now have a vague idea of my tastes, it'd be a nice little touch to an otherwise devestating situation.

Thanks to anyone who replies, anyhow.

Incandenza's probably the man to ask, but as a guess:

Broken Social Scene: You Forgot It In People

Interpol: Turn On The Bright Lights

The Smiths: A singles Collection of some description, although many would reccomend The Queen Is Dead

Primal Scream: EXTRMNTR

The Libertines: Up The Bracket

Plus, I'm duty bound to reccomend the album in my avatar - Mower: People Are Cruel

EDIT: Also, you're in no real rush to by the albums back if you can download a copy, so wait until you can find them really cheap in a 2nd hand shop or something.

Perhaps you should check out the nearest  used-CD stores over the next week or so  -- maybe the thief will sell them...

That's what happened to a friend of mine. His storage bin was "broken into" (but we knew the bitch he shared it with stole them) and all his CDs (about 500 of them) came up missing!

But what do we see in the local used CD store a month later? Alot of his CDs! (the stuff no one else would like and rare imports/bootlegs and such) so he bit the bullet and bought alot of them back. He never did anything about the theft though.. which is surprising. If that were me I would have gone on a murderous rampage or something.

Anyway, That sucks... it looks like you had some good stuff there. Did your CDs have the cases with them? Because if they were just the caseless CDs I doubt they'd be able to sell them for anything.

They were all contained in one of those flip-book CD-holders... with the little pockets and stuff... not sure what to call it, but I'm sure that you know what I'm talking about. In short, I don't think people would be willing to pay too much for uncased Pixies albums, so the most the person would get would be about $20 (if that) for the Ramones CD booklet. Basically, this is why I think putting a reward up might work, though if I stole 21 CD's from someone, I wouldn't want to show my face and give them back, reward or not, so I'm not sure.

RoyalBlue -- Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to pick up some Smiths albums since like, forever, seeing as how awesome "Girlfriend in a Coma" is, and Primal Scream's also been on the "to check out" list.

I suppose that for now there's no real way that I can get back my CD's without just shelling out the dough, unless I find a lot of people willing to buy me Christmas presents, or I find a brilliant little 2nd hand store of some sort. The good thing about all of this is that no matter how crappy the case is (say I buy a completely-cracked copy of "Making up the Breakdown,") as long as the actual CD's intact, I can just put it in my copy of the case and it'll be as good as new.

I dunno where you live, but if you live near any big cities, try looking on the web for alternative 2nd hand cd shops that might have stocklists on. You might be able to get them on the cheap with a little postage money.

I dunno where you live, but if you live near any big cities, try looking on the web for alternative 2nd hand cd shops that might have stocklists on. You might be able to get them on the cheap with a little postage money.

Hrm, I live in South California... Orange County, but I didn't know that you could access most 2nd hand stores via the web. I suppose I'll try to check this out later on tonight, though, as it sounds like a good enough idea, if it means that I don't have to buy all these back at the full $10-$15 (even $20 for about three of them) prices. Thanks again.

Guest Doomsault

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I smell rape and pillage.

Psh. You give High School students too much credit. It's all about Sean Paul and Chiggy and shit like that now. Korn isn't even on their radar screen, never mind the CDs this guy lost.

It's all about Sean Paul

Who?

and Chiggy

Wha?

Shows how much I'm out of it now

Please.

I've never heard of half the chicks I'm voting on in the LSD folder...

Fogey

Guest TheArchiteck

Ouch, that sucks!

Something similar happen to me a couple years back too.

All originals...because like you, I have to my cd booklet colorful and varied...instead of the same uniformed cd-r look. And hell, it just sounds better.

But what I did was go on half.com to rebuild my collection back up. Used and great shaped cds for $5-10......

Worked for me.

But what I did was go on half.com to rebuild my collection back up. Used and great shaped cds for $5-10......

Worked for me.

My God that's a brilliant, brilliant site. Thanks a bunch. Seriously, with Trompe Le Monde at less than $6, I can buy all this back for almost $100 less. Swankage.