TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

Xenosaga: Should I buy it?

So I remember thinking about Xenosaga a few months back, but being turned off by the price and the chatter about too many cutscenes. I know there was a lot of discussion on here about whether it was good or not. It's $20 at most stores now, and I'm thinking about picking up a copy. Now that you've all had some time to play the game and get some perspective on it a few months off, what do you think?

Oh, and I love the original Xenogears, so AndrewTS need not reply.

I will answer for AndrewTS:

Fuck no! That's the worst game ever!

Actually, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance munches 10x harder than Saga ever could. Saga has a passable battle system and a bad story, but the bad story absorbs most of the play time. FFTA has a bad story and a really bad battle system, so there's no fun to be had. Plus, I've wished horrible, painful death on the Saga characters less than I did the FFTA characters.

Xenogears is a far superior game to Saga, so if you blow a perfectly good Jackson on Saga don't come crying to me.

For twenty bucks you could buy a good RPG or a couple good sci-fi movies, instead of a shitty RPG and shitty sci-fi movie in one package. Hell, with 20 bucks you can get one of the Greatest Hits FF packages (either Chronicles or Anthology).

I thought it was a pretty neat game myself, not worth the full price but worth 20.

I'd put a good deal of faith in your opinions about fighters and platformers most of the time, but not RPGs. No offense, Ren.

As a person who looks for great deals on games, particularly used stuff--no, not worth $20.

Actually, it depends on the amount of time you want to dedicate to playing it.

For someone like me, who doesn't really have the patience or the time to play through an RPG while at college, I actually didn't mind having small gameplay stints mixed with some FMV plot movement.

Xenosaga's a very easy game to leave and pick up later (or at least it was for me). I can understand, though, how hardcore players who usually sit down for six-hour stints of gameplay would quickly tire from having the pace constantly interrupted by movies.

It just depends on you. As far as I'm concerned...sure, the battle system is a little pedestrian and the plotline is a mixed bag, but there are certainly worse games out there for $20.

Xenogears is easily my favorite game with nothing coming close and I can't stand XS. I've only played it for 10 hours though.

Too many cutscenes and nothing ever happens. I also want to slowly choke to death every character except Ziggy.

Xenogears is easily my favorite game with nothing coming close and I can't stand XS.  I've only played it for 10 hours though.

Too many cutscenes and nothing ever happens.  I also want to slowly choke to death every character except Ziggy.

There you have it--a testimonial from some one who loved 'Gears. Although I'd rather personally rather murder the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance cast, both of them are rather annoying.

In conclusion, X3N0S@G@ 5UXXX0R5 d00dr.

Edited by AndrewTS