TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

People worried about internet map services

Yahoo Article

Serial killer Maury Travis used an online mapping service to show a newspaper reporter where he dumped a body. A former Las Vegas exotic dancer convicted of stalking and harassing her ex-lover posted a map on the Web with directions to the married man's home.

Internet mapping services are powerful and simple: Type a phone number into Google or other sites for a map with door-to-door directions. Finding someone has never been easier.

Now those resources are provoking a backlash. Spooked people worried about stalkers or worse are striking their particulars from phone and Internet listings. Count Sonjia Kenya among them.....

Yeah, I could see where this would be worrysome, but there are several other ways one could go about getting this kind of information about anyone (phonebook, snooping, Private Investigator, etc.) I dont think the services should be shut down just because some people use them to do things which they shouldn't. I like googles telephone number lookup thing because its oftentimes much faster to do a search through that then it is looking it up in the phonebook.

And my favorite part of the article:

After Kenya got an e-mail alerting her to the feature, she immediately filled out the Google form to get delisted.

But then Kenya turned around and used the same tool and other online features to check on a man who had asked her out.

"I'm upset that it intrudes my privacy," said Kenya. "But at the same time, I'm trying to get as much information as I can from the Internet."

"I don't want you go to be able to look up information about me on the net, but its perfectly ok if I go looking for info on you."

If privacy was such a great concern, it would be a concern not for just your own, but for others as well (many of the privacy rights groups for example).

Guest tSlater

hypocrites <.<

Personally I see no problem with those services because, as you said, there are plenty of other ways to go about it as well.

"I'm upset that it intrudes my privacy," said Kenya. "But at the same time, I'm trying to get as much information as I can from the Internet."

Wow, the whole nation of Kenya is being stalked? How unfair, I mean the poor place is going to have to go to the former Soviet Union area just to be safe in obscurity. Well hear this, Kenya: I respect your privacy, and your borders shalt go uncrossed, and your wildlife unpoached.

Personally, I'm not worried about Internet map services because you can stalk people, I'm worried about Internet map services because they give shitty directions.

Guest Eagan: El Asscracko~!

I was in a school play once and a kid didn't show up for rehearsal.

We were going to pick him up, but my friend said the kid was at his father's house and didn't know if the house was far away.

My friend knew the number for the father's house so I typed it into Google and showed him that it was a 3 hour drive.

A girl watched me do that and was legit freaked out. I can see how it could be used for cruel intentions.