TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Van Mundegaarde

100 Most Important People in Popular Music

I'm sorry, but like him or not, Elvis Presley is the reason rock and roll became what it did. No Elvis, no pop music as we know it. I'd put him #1. He wasn't the greatest singer, and he wasn't great on the guitar, but by God, the man just did somethign so innovative that it literally shook the foundation of pop music, whihc at that point might have still swing, with maybe some early rock and whatnot.

First off Fear Havoc, Aerosmith is not on the list because they are a group whereas I am listing individual contributions to music and no one member of Aerosmith has done enough to stand out among the others listed.

But yet, Bono is on the list?

First off Fear Havoc, Aerosmith is not on the list because they are a group whereas I am listing individual contributions to music and no one member of Aerosmith has done enough to stand out among the others listed.

But yet, Bono is on the list?

Bono has written moving songs which have inspired a generation, as well as being the model for a political rock star in the late 1990's.

Aerosmiths only truly influential song was done by Run DMC.

Aerosmith influenced all those 80's hair bands and some metal bands. And don't try to say that doesn't count or should disqualify them, because if that's the case then Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc shouldn't count because of all the nu-metal, pop punk and emo crap out there today.

Plus, Bono wouldn't have done nothing if it wasn't for his band. You know, U2?

Aerosmith influenced all those 80's hair bands and some metal bands. And don't try to say that doesn't count or should disqualify them, because if that's the case then Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc shouldn't count because of all the nu-metal, pop punk and emo crap out there today.

Plus, Bono wouldn't have done nothing if it wasn't for his band. You know, U2?

That's like saying Lennon would have done nothing without The Beatles.

The difference between Nirvana (and even U2) and Aerosmith is that they changed the musical environment. They took their style of music and made it mainstream, and were a major influence on a number of bands. Aerosmith, on the other hand, were always one of a crowd.

Not to mention the fact that in most peoples eyes Cobain and Bono are geniuses and great songwiters of credible pop songs, whereas Perry and Tyler are merely good songwriters.

Despite the fact that Nirvana basically single-handedly got us out of the 80's hair-band bullshit ... and the fact that Nirvana created two of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time .. Kurt changed the face of music. He wrote all the songs except for a couple. Kurt was Nirvana.

Kurt never changed anything. Kurt took what was starting out, and made it simple for the common folk. He wasn't the greatest writer, or song writer ever, or even qat that the time Nirvana was big. All he ever did was write some simple 3 notes, and it became a smash. He had no diveristy in his song-writing, his singing or his guitar playing. All he wanted is attention, got it, and couldn't handle it, and basically blasted his brains away.

a) he didn't die while he was still peaking, which is essential to the myth of any dead rock star's greatness (see cobain, morrison, hendrix, joplin); if people were only praising him so highly because he's dead, then the people previously mentioned would be praised more highly. the man faded away, he didn't burn out.

I'll agree with Cobain, Joplin, Morrison, but to lump Hendrix with those three is absurd. He was going to be a legend if he was still alive today as we speak. While granted he wasn't the best guitarist ever, or even at the time, his style of guitar soloing, has influenced so many people on the guitar through out the years

Well, Kurt's the one that broke it down. Yeah, Soundgarden and Green River and Mudhoney basically started the sound of grunge, but Nirvana expanded on it and made it accessible to the mainstream with Nevermind. And then after that, it simply exploded.

Now, don't forget about Mother Love Bone or The Melvins.

Well, not to forget them, but they weren't as influential. Besides, Green River featured members of MLB and Mudhoney, and we all know the demise of GR led to the formation of said bands. And then Pearl Jam rose from MLB .. and look at them now. They rock live, by the way.

Guest Doyo
The difference between Nirvana (and even U2) and Aerosmith is that they changed the musical environment. They took their style of music and made it mainstream, and were a major influence on a number of bands. Aerosmith, on the other hand, were always one of a crowd.

Wow, you are way off on Aerosmith here. There weren't that many bands doing a bluesy,

ballsy, hard rock, or whatever you wanna call it style to the extreme they were in the early

70s. Rolling Stones and bands like them weren't as heavy, Zeppelin had a more mystical

style, Sabbath was darker. There was Kiss and maybe a few others that were in the same

boat.

Aerosmith was a HUGE influence on most hard rock from around 1975-present. There were

so many 80s singers that dressed and tried to move around on stage like Steven Tyler that

it isn't funny. Even the scarfs hanging from the microphone stand and the way he would

hold it has been copied to death.

"Dream On" was probably the first power ballad. "Stairway to Heaven" came first, but that

song is so unique I'm not sure it would qualify as a power ballad. Aerosmith had done tons

to change the course of music history way before Run DMC teamed up with them.

It could take all day to name all the bands that Aerosmith were a big, not just small,

influence upon. Yes, Nirvana has been at least a small influence on most modern bands,

but how many are there were it is obvious that they were a big influeunce on? Bush, Silverchair,

umm who else??

I'd say throw Mike Patton on there somewhere. But thats just me.

Hell yeah, there is not a Rock/Metal band of the last ten years that cannot say they haven't been influenced by Patton & Faith No More.

Hell yeah, there is not a Rock/Metal band of the last ten years that cannot say they haven't been influenced by Patton & Faith No More.

Mine hasn't. So there.

Mine hasn't. So there.

Well, aren't we Mr. Cool? :D

It's so true about Patton and Faith No More. If not for them, the Rap-Rock trend of a couple years back may not have blow up. When FNM came out, they were a completely different sound than ANYTHING that was popular at the time. PLus, Patton's vocal talents are off-the-charts. There is nothing the man can't do, which is why my sig reads what it does.

Guest goodhelmet
I REALLY don't get all of the Beatle's love that floats around. Everyone creams their pants over them, but they just strike me as the first boyband.

Really, once you hit Rubber Soul and especially Revolver, the boy band argument goes out the window. A boy band doesn't write "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "A Day In The Life."

Hell, actually it happened before this once Beatles for Sale and Help! were released. In fact, I wouldn't classify the Beatles a boyband after 1964. A whopping one year after their arrival on American soil.

Guest goodhelmet
That's to the extent that you even want to consider Nirvana a grunge band. Their sound was completely different than that of the other bands that they were lumped in with, i.e. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and so on. The nu metal stuff on the radio now owes a much larger debt to those bands than Nirvana, whose only similarity with them is thematic. And, even so, Cobain's lyrics were a lot more oblique.

I'm a Nirvana apologist.

When discussing Nirvana, their influence on pop culture is undeniabl but their influence on music is questionable. When examining their sound, it is really just using the Pixies formula who copped the Led Zeppelin formula who copped their sound from Paul Revere and the Raiders' "Him or me-What's it gonna be?" (my own personal theory).

Guest Van Mundegaarde

56. Mike Patton

Can't sees how that gots past so many of you folks.

I see an utter lack of Lemmy Kilmister, who just might be THE most underrated man in all of music. Think about it. Without Motörhead, there would be no heavy metal as we truly know it today. They introduced the punk speed before PUNK was PUNK. They were sloppy, rowdy, heavy, and actually produced music that is great 28 years after they first formed. Without Lemmy, the following inclusions on your list would not be the same, and would probably not even be on the list:

Trent Reznor

James Hetfield

Jeff Hanneman

Mike Patton

Dave Mustaine

John Petrucci

Also, to include Hanneman without mention of King, when King is more responsible for Slayer's overall sound than Hanneman is, is slightly peculiar. To include Petrucci when Dream Theater hasn't really influenced many bands directly? Bad.

A mention of Hetfield, but no mention of Ulrich or Burton? Considering Ulrich wrote every song with James (with the exception of "Motörbreath," which shows in the song's overly punk feel and the fact that it RULES), that should have been accounted, as well as Burton's influence on the band (as his death is the reason ...And Justice For All is Metallica's heaviest album, and that they have not been the same ever since).

Neil Peart should be on the list. He's one the greatest AND most influential drummers to ever get behind a kit. If anyone from Rush should be included, it's Peart. His drumming is perfect at all times, and the fact that he basically wrote all of the lyrics to Rush's greatest songs(including the entire 2112) album is worthy of beiing mentioned.

Edited by B. Brian Brunzell

I agree with the last two posts.

BTW Brian, did you know that Neil has a Masters Degree in English Literature...No rock star should have a university degree, especially in English Literature

Guest Rob Edwards

Some pretty glaring omissions to me at least

Ray Davies - Should be top ten, wrote some of the most effecting pop songs in the Kinks prime and invented heavy metal with "You really got me" then went mad and started writing utter shite in the 80's

Gary Numan - The godfather of synth pop and a huge reaching influence on modern hip hop production values and also dance music in pretty much all it's guises

Afrika Baambaata - As the first star of rap deserves recognition

Damon Albarn or.. Noel Gallacher - Because britpop was too big a phenominon not to have one or both of them recognised, I'd go for Albarn over Gallacher because of his greater success as his career continued

Run DMC - Both individuals spearheaded the way modern rap is put together in pulling together the music and image side of things

Debbie Harry - The first lady of girl power, made women in rock ok

Bernard Sumner - Because you need a New Order member on the list due to their contribution to early dance

There are some hugely important people missing from the 100 (forgive me if some I mention are in there).

Bill Haley - He's actually a contender for #1 on my list, and he's not even in your top 100. The importance of Rock Around The Clock in popular music is massive, and I can't believe he didn't warrant a mention on this list.

Berry Gordy Jr: He's already been mentioned, but I'll mention him again.

Carole King: You mentioned Joni Mitchell, though King was possibly a more important female songwriter in the 1960s. She wrote eight #1 hits and Tapestry is both an awesome album plus one of the biggest selling ever.

Madonna: She'd be in my top ten, yet she's not in your 100. Redefined women in music, was arguably the biggest artist of the 1980s (I'm sure some Michael Jackson fan will find some evidence otherwise, but whatever) and is just amazingly important. The fact you had any women on the list but not Madonna is strange.

I can't be bothered writing my reasons anymore, so I'll just list them:

Roy Orbison

Cliff Richard

Diana Ross

Johnny Rotten

Phil Spector

Phil Collins

Tina Turner

And with Michael Jackson, Thriller was the only album which really impressed me. Bad was aptly titled, as only The Way You Make Me Feel blows me away. Off The Wall was very good, and Dangerous onwards are pathetic.

Guest Van Mundegaarde

why no mention of ulrich, burton, king? because it's a list of 100 artists. Decisions have to be made. People have to be cut.

however, days of retrospection have made me question exactly why i put Petrucci on the list and i'm not entirely sure outside of my Dream Theater fandom. So i opt to take him down and replace him with.... is it Lemmy?

No, it's Steve Albini... I dunno why i left him off in the first place... my bad.

Neil Peart IS on the list. Please, PLEASE look at it before suggesting inclusions.

ray davies isn't touching the top ten, sorry.

Gary numan, 100 most important artists ever!?! Next...

Afrika Bambaata was up for consideration, relatively high in fact, but then i was forced to make some cuts. he was one of them. plus Grandmaster Flash would have made it on before him anyway.

Run DMC probably should be on there, but I'm not sure who to knock. I guess Will Oldham.

Britpop isn't represented is it?.... huh.....

Patti Smith is on the list, making Debbie Harry irrelevant.

Greg Graffin would have an easy grab at a top 200.

And, trust me, if Jerry Cantrell didn't make it on the list, Layne Staley doesn't have a chance in hell. However, as of this moment, i think he has a room there.

BA-ZIM!!

BTW Brian, did you know that Neil has a Masters Degree in English Literature...No rock star should have a university degree, especially in English Literature.

Sorry 'bout the mentioning of Peart. I read the list a couple of times and I just must not have noticed. My apologies.

I did know that, which is why I think his lyrics are so damn good. It is odd that a rock star would have a degree in English Lit, rather than soething like, oh music.