TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpww7

TNA Attendance

In this weeks WON, Meltzer talks about how the crowd of 650 for 12/10 I believe was about 75 % papered, which is horrible. This shows that no one in the area cares for the promotion anymore, so what does TNA do...they keep running there! At least they outdraw IWA-MS.

Well... as it's been menition before. The fairgrounds really are in a bad part of town and a lot of people don't go for that reason.

The main reason they need to leave the Fairgrounds has been mentioned by both the Torch and Observer and it's true: The crowd reactions. They simply don't react to anything anymore. They've become jaded. The dead crowd simply kills the atmoshphere of the show. They see it every week, about 2/3 crowd is papered so they're in for free, and there's just no more emotional interest in the matches. Thus, even if a match is good, there's no heat and it really takes away from it. Sometimes crowd reactions is the only differences between a decent and good match. The dirtsheets mention that TNA wrestlers are noticing it too and that they feel like no matter what they do anymore they can't get a reaction and it's like pulling teeth. TNA can't go on national tours like WWE, but it would serve them well to do like ECW and Ring Of Honor and at least do tours around the Northeast, wrestle in front of some new crowds that haven't been overexposed to the product live. They can still make the Fairgrounds their homebase, but it would only help if every couple weeks they do a show from Phillidelphia or Boston or New York for example. This would help their home crowd too, who after a week or 2 off should be more energized and motivated to cheer.

Why don't they just start small and start booking themselves in various arenas, etcs in Tennesee. If everything goes well, then and only then should they moves out of the state.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

We all know the reason for the decline in attendance..

Bring back New JAck & Mabel to scare off the criminals by having -*** matches.

Don't they usually get between 1000 and 1400 most weeks...

or am i way off...

Way off, the crowds are 75% papered most of the time, I don't think theyve sold more than 600 tickets in the last year.

Actually, they sold quite a few during the hot sprees in April/May, and picked up steady paid fans from late 2002 until the early summer. What does this tell you?

1. Fans like an interesting product.

2. Fans like several kinds of wrestling present on a card (power wrestling, hardcore brawls, old-school, spotfests).

3. Fans don't like it when the man they want to cheer (ie. AJ Styles) is being made to look like a pussy week-in and week-out.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

What about Virginia? Virginia used to be one of the top states for pro wrestling(NWA 80s). Now, I only hear of 2 promotions who run shows near Richmond and Hampton. What about Virginia Beach, the most populated city in Virginia, and the most popular. They could at least have a show at the Pavilion. Or heck, even at the Boathouse in Norfolk. I've heard ECW has been there.

Would it be a viable idea to move them around? Why couldn't they run a small southern circuit from Nashville to Memphis to even St Louis or Little Rock.

It is conveinient that they don't move around but it would give them a fresher tv crowd that isn't used to seeing them on a weekly basis.

Guest BloodRiotZero

I agree TNA definately needs to tour, if not because the Nashville crowd SUCKS then for exposure. However, because they are small they should keep it small. They might as well establish themselves as the 'southern' promotion, for lack of a better term, as WWE is the big 'northern' promotion and every other Indy is trying to ride ECW's coattails.

You know I've seen quite a few shows up at the good ol' fairgrounds and what kills it for me is the following things:

1) No AC - During the winter its not that bad but on those hot summer nights, Jumping Jesus on a Pogo stick! I lost 20 pounds in two hours.

2) The Crowd - The marks in the stands have no idea who to cheer for and plus they have an attention span of a three year old.

3) Tickets - This is a big one for me, I paid for ringside every time I went to the show. I could have just as easily stood outside for comp tickets like 85% of the audience and still gotten a great seat. I understand that they have to make it look like TNA is popular in Nashville by filling the seats but geez, some local advertising or something wouldn't hurt.

Someone mentioned that the fairgrounds are in a bad spot, the area isn't that bad. But Mr. Average Middle Class is going to think twice about going up there on weekday evening and staying late. Trust me the fairgrounds aren't that scary when the Flea Market is in town :)