TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Want a Scarlet letter?

New license plates to identify DUI offenders

By Susanne Cervenka

Dayton Daily News

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Ring in the New Year and bring in new traffic laws.

New traffic code changes that reform parts of Ohio's drunken-driving offenses and driver's license point system take effect Thursday. Lawmakers approved the bill in 2002.

The most visible change drivers will see appearing is a flurry of restricted plates — the yellow and scarlet given to those convicted of drunken driving. The law requires offenders with driving privileges to have the plates on their vehicle, said Julie Hinds, spokeswoman for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. In the past, the plates were issued at the court's discretion.

The plates are more of a deterrent for drivers, not a sign for law enforcement.

"While the plates are distinctive, it doesn't give an officer probable cause to pull over the driver," said Lt. Rick Fambro of the Ohio Highway Patrol. Troopers look for signs of impaired drivers regardless of the license plates on the vehicle, he said.

Under the law, a driving-under-the-influence offense takes a new name: operating vehicle under the influence.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving Ohio stands behind the OVI name change and the mandatory plates, said the agency?s executive director Doug Scoles.

"Any preventative action that brings a tougher stance, we?re going to support," he said.

The law also creates a misdemeanor offense for "physical control." An individual could face a $425 fine and a one-year suspended license for being drunk and in control of the car — in the driver?s seat with the keys, but not actually driving.

Drunken drivers aren?t the only ones affected by the changes; different parts will apply to different drivers, Hinds said.

Some of the changes are more "customer-friendly," giving drivers a clearer picture of their punishment and flexibility in serving it, she said.

The law modifies Ohio's point system, where drivers accumulate points against their license for infractions and can have their licenses suspended if they reach 12 points. It will be based solely on a driver?s speed over the limit, not past infractions, Hinds said.

A driver with two prior speeding tickets caught traveling 20 mph over the speed limit gets two points on his driver?s license. In the past, he would have ended up with three points because of his record.

"A person is going to have a better idea of what points they are going to get," Hinds said.

To deduct those points, Ohioans will be able to retake remedial driver education classes five times instead of only once under the former law, Hinds said. Drivers would get two-point credits for each class, however they can take the class only once every three years.

The new law also makes a number of administrative changes — including a revamped suspension classification that may not affect many drivers, Hinds said.

"If you are a ?follow-by-the-law? driver, you aren?t going to notice a difference," she said.

Driving while drunk is obviously stupid, but I don't believe for a second that this is for the people and not the cops to have probable cause.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't mind the idea, and agree with the drunk driving sentiment, but this is pretty obviously a way for OH to pay for their roads. I guarantee those plates cost an arm and a leg more, in addition to fines and court costs.

I don't mind the idea, and agree with the drunk driving sentiment, but this is pretty obviously a way for OH to pay for their roads.

Nothing wrong with that, imo.

I guarantee those plates cost an arm and a leg more, in addition to fines and court costs.

Good. Perhaps this might deter some drunk redneck from Middletown to not get in his old-ass pickup truck and speed down I-75 to Hustler Hollywood...

As part of this law however, every vehicle owned by the family of the convicted will have to get these tags. So that means "Timmy", who just got his license for the first time, will have to go under the heightened scrutiny of police because his father lives in a bottle of Jack D.

Another matter critics are worried about is the ramifications the plates would have on "Timmy's" employment opportunities. If the McDonalds manager sees the drunk driving tags on his car, then he probably wouldn't hire him.

Guest SideFXs

No, Timmy would get hired, specifically, when he passes the 'police record call' the manager makes and provided Timmy isn't becoming a chip off the old block. Unfortunately this disease has a tendency to get passed down.

I have no problem at all, using shame, to try and modify someone's habit of getting drunk or stoned and then driving.

And I would drive more cautiously too, seeing one of these tags glaring at me, from ahead.

Well you see my point, the tag would have detrimental effects on family members, or roommates. Whoever the drunkard shares a car with.

Timmy would get the job at McDonalds anyway. Cause it's McDonalds.

Well you see my point, the tag would have detrimental effects on family members, or roommates. Whoever the drunkard shares a car with.

Oh well. That's the price one pays for being a lush -- you not only hurt yourself, but you hurt those close to you.

And I have worked at a lot of crap jobs in my lifetime, and not once have I seen a store manager sneak out in the parking lot and take note of my plates as I drove away...

Guest Anglesault
And I have worked at a lot of crap jobs in my lifetime, and not once have I seen a store manager sneak out in the parking lot and take note of my plates as I drove away...

That's because he uses satellite photos, silly.

I don't mind the idea, and agree with the drunk driving sentiment, but this is pretty obviously a way for OH to pay for their roads.

I guarantee those plates cost an arm and a leg more, in addition to fines and court costs.

Good. Perhaps this might deter some drunk redneck from Middletown to not get in his old-ass pickup truck and speed down I-75 to Hustler Hollywood...

I doubt it, F'n Middletown! :angry:

Guest Cerebus

I'm all for it... I'm still suffering thanks to a drunk driver and probably always will be. :angry:

I doubt it, F'n Middletown! :angry:

Well, if it doesn't prevent Mr. Redneck, then he'll be paying a lot more for the privilege of driving.

Oh, and while we're on the subject I have to bitch about this. Back when I lived in Middletown, there was a rash of motorist deaths on I-75 around that stretch of highway by Middletown. All the broadcast news media kept saying stuff like "I-75 has claimed yet another victim tonight."

WTF?

Did I-75 suddenly morph into some 90-degree turn, causing a motorist to crash and die? No. Then why blame the road for someone's inability to drive?

This is why I despise broadcast media, except for a certain cable news station that's alive and well in the year 2004...