TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

Bands That Have Improved As They Went

"No Prayer For The Dying" was awful. You could tell it was coming to end for Maiden at that time. The album was bad. I saw them on tour for that album and I left disappointed.

Didn't help that Bruce soon left and did his solo project and put out that God awful version of "All The Young Dudes." That's a whole other subject, though.

I don't think No Prayer was that bad, a lot of good straight rock songs on there, but it would be one of the last albums I'd reccomend for anyone wanting to get into the band. I actually dislike Fear Of The Dark a whole lot more since besides the title track and Afraid To Shoot Strangers the rest is filler and pop.

I may as well vocalise my weird love for Helloween. Helloween die-hards will point out that the albums Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt I + II are their finest work. My problem with those albums (released in the mid to late 80s) is that they're TOO gallopy with vocals so high pitched they break glass. Luckily for Helloween, their later two albums were shit so they fired vocalist Michael Kiske and hired Andy Deris. Slowly but gradually Helloween began to make shockingly catchy hard rock anthems (I wouldn't totally call it metal) that can be easily seperated from the Power Metal genre. Though still the occassional gallopy beat on a few songs, Helloween put out [/i]Better than Raw[/i] in 98 and The Dark Ride in 2003 which can definetely be catagorized as hard rock/heavy metal, with very few power metal elements present. I'd say these two albums blow the fuck out of anything they've done before, from the perspective of a general music fan, not a pompous power metal goon.

They're latest album is a step down unfortunetely, but it's more a case of two steps forward and one step back.

Compare the song 'I Want Out' to 'Revelation'

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Wow, I don't think I could sit through that much Helloween to form that detailed of an opinion. I made it almost halfway through The Best, The Rest, The Rare, and totally gave up.