TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LucharesuFan619

Thoughts on M-Dogg 20 and J-Pro's...

I meant to title this thread BYW, instead of BYD. Oh well...

I just picked up my first ever Backyard Wrestling DVD, and specifically picked this one b/c I knew it started M-Dogg 20 and Josh Prohibition, two of my preferred indy workers. I didn't really know what to expect b/c I hadn't seen a BYW tape or DVD yet and had only heard about them. Well, I'm pretty happy with what I got. If you're expecting ONLY prepubescent teenagers running around in tights, putting each other through tables wrapped in barbed-wire, covered in tacks, etc....well, you'll see some of that, but it's DEFINITELY not JUST that. The first 15 or so minutes seems to be devoted to those types of clips, but then it turns to almost exclusively the best of Matt & Josh/M-Dogg & J-Pro. The matches they show are clipped, and truth be told, the sound on my comp. doesn't work so I had to watch it with no sound, but it was a pretty damn good buy. Sure, both guys are spotty (ESPECIALLY M-Dogg), but the spots they showed were absolutely amazing. 450s off of the top rope through tables, dives off of balconies, insane cartwheel huracanranas, picture perfect Shooting Star Presses, etc. (by M-Dogg, of course). Josh stayed more mat based on the video and it was M-Dogg doing those spots, but Josh looked very good. Tons of clips of his various "ProhibitionPlexes" (suplex variations). The two friends work VERY well with one another. They start with their backyard footage for several minutes, and then the video continues as they follow them into their pro wrestling matches, after they've been trained. After every 10 or so minutes of the aforementioned spots, a five minute segment is shown of M-Dogg and J-Pro just goofing off - i.e. making fools of themselves, Jackass-style...like walking around in public in their underwear, getting down with chicks outside of bars, etc. Again, I had no sound on my comp., so I didn't know what they were saying, but it was pretty funny, although I really bought the DVD for the wrestling, not the comedy...and truthfully, I don't really care that there was the equivalent of like one hour of comedy b/c for 20 bucks, I also got about 3 hours of spotmania. If you're into spotsfests, this is a video to check out, assuming you can stomach some of the more hardcore clips at the beginning, and the stuff with Madman Pondo...which leads me to - a lot of well known guys make appearances, as clips are shown of M-Dogg and J-Pro working with The S.A.T., Amazing Red, and all of their XPW matches. Yes, that's right - there's clips from every one of their XPW matches, probably about 20 minutes of just XPW footage all together. There's also footage of the Backyard Wrestling Game celebration a.k.a. The Eidos Convention, where they show clips of that whole show, which featured Super Dragon, Madman Pondo, Rudeboy (of JCW), and of course M-Dogg and J-Pro. M-Dogg will absolutely amaze you if you're into spots. He does flippity flippity stuff on this tape I couldn't believe. And J-Pro does some fantastic suplexes and stuff. As for their XPW matches that are shown (albeit in clipped form) - spots form their matches with Chris Hamrick & Tracy Smothers, Shark Boy & Angel, Bobby Quance & Jardi Frantz, and of course MMW are all shown. Fantastic stuff, IMO. Tylene Buck a.k.a. Major Gunns is shown at the Eidos Convention, BTW, albeit really briefly. There's some trailers for upcoming BYW releases, a best of XPW music video (featuring clips only of their pre-Philly days), and a lot more in the extras section. Clips are shown of Josh on "Moral COurt," the TV show, and of other TV coverage backyard wrestling and Josh and M-Dogg have received, although it's primarily kept to clips of them wrestling, as opposed to the promotion BYW has received. Basically, if you're a fan of spots and can stand some violent clips of the no-trained guys in the beginning and the Rudeboy/Madman Pondo match from the convention, you're not gonna be unhappy if you buy this. If you don't like spotty matches i.e. stuff with the SAT, Red, Special K, etc., don't buy this. Also, I guess if you're an XPW fan it'd prolly be a good idea to buy it, because you never know how much of the later stuff will be released, and this has clips of all of Youthanazia's XPW matches. Also, if you're gonna be annoyed when the Jackass-type stunts come on, it prolly isn't a good idea to buy this, because they'res a lot of them, but still - the amount of wrestling (spots, rather) totals like 3 hours or something, it seems (I didn't clock it in obviously, but that's an estimate), so it was a pretty good deal, IMO. BTW, the DVD was just recently released, so you may have trouble finding it. I only found two copies, out of a total of like 30 BYW tapes in the store I got it at. I'm pleasantly surprised it wasn't just hardcore crap with un-trained guys, too, because that's what I was afraid it may be when I was buying it.

Sorry for rambling on, but I just thought I'd post my thoughts.

Guest Markingout

Yeah,I heard about this DVD. I was interested. I bet you didnt know who edited it though. Josh Prohibition himself. I might check it out depending how much it cost or I will look for it too download. Sounds like it has alot of excellent clips on it.

Guest Real F'n Show

I got it the day it came out for 15 bucks at Bset Buy. I like it. The jackass-type stuff isn't annoying it's actually quite funny watching Matt go into a gas station dressed as Hulk Hogan and steal a slim jim, or the party box segments. They show tons of clips of cool moves that M-Dogg does and some of the TLC match against MMW. I enjoyed it for the most part and don't feel ripped off at all. I am planning on buying "The Backyard" next.

Guest Markingout
I am planning on buying "The Backyard" next.

Word,that movie looked so good. I was bummed when it only was going too air in a few cities :(

Spotdog 20 is ass...I hate his matches. No wrestling, just spots...and I don't know if he still does it, but he looked like such a goof cause he'd work a whole match with a big grin on his face...even when he's getting punched and whatnot.

Spotdog 20 is ass...I hate his matches. No wrestling, just spots...and I don't know if he still does it, but he looked like such a goof cause he'd work a whole match with a big grin on his face...even when he's getting punched and whatnot.

True...he is a spot monkey. However, unlike some others (i.e. guys who try to do strong style, but can't) and like some others (i.e. New Jack, Supreme, etc.), he sticks to what he knows, and what he knows, he knows INSANELY WELL. He doesn't try to do anything else than spots, and granted - he's not gonna break the #100 in the PWI 500 probably, but what he will do is remain as the very best spot monkey there is. So, the question you have to ask yourself is...is it better to try to do things you can't do and do a decent job overall, or stick to only what you know, even if that's just one particular facet of wrestling, and do it very, very well. That's what determines whether you like him or not, generally.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I must admit, M-Dogg isn't the most talented guy in the world, but he can pull of some shit. (In a spot-monkey kinda sense)

Guest Sturgis

Would someone tell me. what this is exactly?

Guest Dynamite Kido

Would someone tell me. what this is exactly?

It's a critically acclaimed documentary that actually has a forward from RVD. I haven't seen it though to comment if it's any good or not.

There's also footage of the Backyard Wrestling Game celebration a.k.a. The Eidos Convention, where they show clips of that whole show, which featured Super Dragon,

Ok, sounds interesting... but exactly how much Super Dragon is on this DVD?

Guest Real F'n Show
There's also footage of the Backyard Wrestling Game celebration a.k.a. The Eidos Convention, where they show clips of that whole show, which featured Super Dragon,

Ok, sounds interesting... but exactly how much Super Dragon is on this DVD?

not much, probably 5-10 minutes of clips altogether of him taking some of M-Dogg's moves

Guest Jimbo
M-Dogg will absolutely amaze you if you're into spots. He does flippity flippity stuff on this tape I couldn't believe.

And J-Pro does some fantastic suplexes and stuff.

That part made me laugh. :D

SD is on it like 5 mins. total.

Are there any Easter Eggs anyone's found on the DVD yet? Besides where you click the garbage can in the select chapter menu, and it cuts to J-Pro in his bedroom for like a minute?

Guest Real F'n Show

whoa thanks i didn't even notice that one :huh: if you find anymore post them. I'm hoping there's some full matches on here

They show tons of clips of cool moves that M-Dogg does and some of the TLC match against MMW.

I was at that XPW show live, it was a great tlc match, hopefully xpw will realease the last shows in philly including the one this match is on (aftermath.)

M-Dogg can be entertaining...I don't even mind watching him. But like the SAT he takes all the believability out of any of his matches.

He's a hell of an athlete, but not much of a wrestler.

Guest Dynamite Kido
M-Dogg can be entertaining...I don't even mind watching him. But like the SAT he takes all the believability out of any of his matches.

He's a hell of an athlete, but not much of a wrestler.

right on the money bro.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

MDogg's had a few decent matches, his match with Chris Hero for IWA MS (where MDogg won the title on his debut) was great, although most of the credit goes to Hero who carried MDogg the whole way, at least the match was done in a way the MDogg's spots actually meant something, instead of his usual style of no selling and flippy shit every 20 seconds.