TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaertos

I have been bugging my sister-in-law's boyfriend to join. So I run out this morning to see if the info on the website is correct and it isn't there. It says that the directory listing has been denied.

Luckily, I also gave him the swf.thesmartmarks.com address...

Who is responsible for keeping track of this?

FUCK!!

Actually, I think I'm sort of in charge of that...but it's Johnny D.'s server.

Johnny...whats up? Why is the site down?

Da "can't be everywhere at once" H

Well, that explains it. Perhaps we can put stuff on the swf.thesmartmarks.com site.

Dames sent me the stuff a while ago to connect, I might still have it somewhere in my PMs.

Johnny...can you send me the files? You did pull them off before cancelling the account, right?

Da "not till at least Thursday though" H

If you guys lost the files, I still have a copy of the site on my comp here.

/me crawls back under his rock.

::skips Atlas's rock out to sea::

Is your main problem with getting a site up and running, no server or something?

If you are in need of a server, I've got one kicking about. If you guys are interested of course.

*shrugs* Thought I'd be nice and share.

Flik,

Talk to Johnny D about it.

Da "passing the buck" H

Sure thing. Will do.

*puts on to do list, "talk to one Johnny D", right after "end one part of my life"*

So like, yah. Easy to do.

Whats the servers specs? What services are installed on it? Is it connected to a t-1 line or better?

The server isn't really a problem for me. Its paying for one while there it's not being used as I can test everything out locally.

What I am looking for is a server with Coldfusion 5.0 or better (MX) installed on the server as well as Microsoft Access. I use to use SQL Server 2000 but as it seems... if I ever want anyone to lend a hand with anything I am far better off going with the cheaper and still stable as hell database program, that being access.

Right now I am in the process of redoing databases for the site and STILL awaiting some word on the new layout that somebody was wanting to do. Right now I am just ready to go with my own design, and I am not all that good with the logos but I have a few ideas. So SWF 2.0 as orginally promised with all the bells and whistels is coming... very soon.

Whats the servers specs? What services are installed on it? Is it connected to a t-1 line or better?

The server isn't really a problem for me. Its paying for one while there it's not being used as I can test everything out locally.

What I am looking for is a server with Coldfusion 5.0 or better (MX) installed on the server as well as Microsoft Access. I use to use SQL Server 2000 but as it seems... if I ever want anyone to lend a hand with anything I am far better off going with the cheaper and still stable as hell database program, that being access.

Right now I am in the process of redoing databases for the site and STILL awaiting some word on the new layout that somebody was wanting to do. Right now I am just ready to go with my own design, and I am not all that good with the logos but I have a few ideas. So SWF 2.0 as orginally promised with all the bells and whistels is coming... very soon.

...uh, ok... Thanks for all the techno gumble. I just have a server that's kicking around the house (God only knows the exact specs). I just know it's a healthy viable server that would cost you guys, let's see... Probably bare minimum upkeep on it. About the only specific I know of is that it is run on ADSL.

I'll ask Dad, who owns the server, the specifics and get back to you on that. I don't exactly "play" with it, so I'm totally unsure of what is in it. Once I do, I'll get back to you on specifics. ...I must remember to build up a website so I have to tinker with the server.

As far access goes, I can just about give you total access to the whole site, no problem. As long as you don't blow up the server, my dad won't complain. I think. Might complain somewhat, but I'm quite sure everything will be fine.

Bloody Hades, I lied. I know one other specific off the top of my head. It does support phpNuke. I'll see what else though, ok?

Ok, now that I've bullshitted my way through this~!

Let me bringeth the answers~! THAT BE TRUE~!

Firstly, the server IS on a T-1 connection. Although, it does run through the same DSL thingy box we've got, it still runs on a T-1 connection and NOT the ADSL that I coast the web on.

My father's own words about the server specifics, "It's a modest server, so it's not filled with the latest stuff. It's currently running a Linux based, Apache software, MySQL server. No Cold Fusion or that. Just regular stuff you can pick up."

I'm not sure if that makes this server of mine a bad thing for you. Yes, I've confirmed there would be a fee, but that's depending on how much room you'd use and the like. He'd have to know what you'd be having on the server and that before he can even bring up a price. Furthermore, since he knows you've done up the site in Cold Fusion, my dad said it'd probably be unlikely that you'll want to change over to my server's format or that.

Guess I wasn't much help to you after all. :(

Johnny,

Have I ever mentioned that I have ColdFusion MX on all of my machines and my server? However, I'm disappointed to see that you're using Access. Access blows man. You should use postGRE...it's the best open source DB that exists.

Anyway...the point is...if you find the server, I can provide you with Cold Fusion MX 6.1. After that, it's up to you.

Da "wonders why Johnny didn't ask him to begin with" H

Please...it's flat file storage! You can't do any REAL web app with that...too slow...and too rigid. It's original purpose was to maintain records on a client machine...not for web apps. No real developer would DECIDE to use access as a DB for an app.

Da "laughs at Thoth's love for an MS product" H

Yeah, Access is good for what it DOES. Random idiots decided to try and turn it into SQL or whatever.

Guest Fire and Knives

*smokes pot in the bathroom stalls*

Freakin' nerds.

K.

Well Thugg,

I was switching to access because:

#1 it's cheaper on commercial servers, and it will handle what we need just fine. We are not running Wal-mart on the net here. ;)

#2, I am on a 56k modem and uploading an SQL Database takes forever. #3 all of your servers? If your talking about the one where I can have no FTP access to, no thanks. Don't mean to sound rude, but if there is ever a problem I need to be able to connect and take care of it as soon as possible. Now if you mean at the place your working, give me a price and what that price includes.

Finally, I am using access by choice. I am one test away from my Oracle Certified Professionial cert, and already have my Oracle Certified Associates cert... believe me, I know what the best running DB is. Now just to see if there are any jobs for entry level Oracle Database Admins and I'll be set.

Flik, yeah buddy, that server is perfect for a static web site, but not quite what I need. I appreaciate the offer though.

Meh...that IS a good point, especially you are using commercial servers. I don't user commercial servers, so I have very little experience in knowing what they tend to have or not have and how much they cost. And yeah...the slow connection really doesn't help.

I just don't like access...probably because I don't do many "websites"...I build web apps using Flash and CF mostly...and some ASP.NET and all that other crap. So, Access tends to blow for what I do.

But man...if you've got Oracle certs...you should be in high demand. It's hard to find DB guys these days...cause no one wants to do one. Personally, I'd love to do that, but alas, I'm stuck with Flash for the time being. But, I tend to think that as soon as you get that last cert, you will be in very high demand...just get your resume out there. Do you have a degree?

Da "loves talking computers and programming" H

Well, no. I never went to college, I'm dumb I know. Until rather recently when I seriously started looking for a professionial IT job and saw how many people want folks with a Bachlor Computer Science for jobs. It seems like a good idea to go now, BUT I am tired of working the crappy job I do now where it requires me to put in 50 + hours every week, and I really really really just want a computer related job.

Besides, even if I have a degree how is that going to make me Admin a Database any better? I think HR departments just want you to have a college degree just for the sake of having one, which too me seems like a waste if your not going to put that knowledge to use. Not to mention that I see postings for "Oracle9i admin - must have 5 years experience." and the program is barely 2 years old.

Having said all that, I am hoping to obtain a degree while working in the field that I want to be in already. :)