Nba's mvp for 2001-2002

Guest Ripper

So I guess the top canidates are:

Jason Kidd-New Jersey

Kobe Bryant- Los Angeles

Shaquille O'neil- Los Angeles

Tim Duncan- San Antonio

Tracy McGrady- Orlando

For me, it is Jason Kidd, hands down.  You have a team that wins 26 games, change basically 1 player (yeah I know they added 3 rookies and Tod McCullah but basically the same team) and now they have 51 wins(and counting) and are number 1 in their division.  Some people will point out his numbers aren't as impressive, but these people really don't understand basketball.  

While you can make a case for Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe, the point is, if any one of these guys went down, their teams would still make the playoffs...they wouldn't be championship caliber teams, but they would make the playoffs.  We all KNOW where this Nets team would be without Jason Kidd.  

Tracy McGrady holds as much importance to his team as Kidd does(without him, they would be lottery bound) but, well, to put it simply, Kidd's team did better against the exact same competition.  

With all this being said, the NBA will probably give the MVP to Shaq or Duncan...Alot of times the most deserving guy doesn't win(Karl Malone, I am looking at that trophy you have on your shelf that should be at Tim Duncans house RIGHT now).

Guest Kingpk

Although I don't follow the NBA much, what about Paul Pierce of the Celtics?  He's 3rd in the league in PPG, and, along with Antione Walker, is carrying the Celtics to a possible 3 seed in the East.

I mean, he probably won't win, but don't you think he'll get some votes?

Guest What?!

If the season ended a couple months ago, I would've went with Jason Kidd, but now I'm going to go with Tim Duncan. It's just so hard for me to vote against him when he's putting up 20 and 10 every night and winning.

And, I'm not sure the Spurs are a playoff team without him.

Guest Ripper

I don't know, take away Duncan, the Spurs are still a better team than all of the teams outside the playoffs right now..(Yes...even my Suns :( )

And Jason Kidd is putting up 15 pts., 10 assist, and 7.6 rebounds AND is second in steals...He took a last place team to FIRST.  I'm sorry that Tim got screwed out of that MVP he earned a few years back, but this one has to go to him.

And yeah Paul Pierce deserve some votes...but I would give Dirk Nowinski, Jerry Stackhouse, Kevin Garnett some votes before him.

Guest The Electrifyer

Jason Kidd for me. He turned the Nets into a winning, #1 team. What else can a guy do?

Guest Vern Gagne

Tim Duncan-The Spurs have a good chance to win the Midwest. Without Duncan the Spurs have role players, they might make the playoffs. He edges out Kidd because the Spurs are in the superior Western Conference.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

You are speculating about where the Spurs would be without Duncan, but we already know where te Nets would be without Kidd, because they were there last year. Last year they had Stephon Marbury at point, and were one of the worst teams in basketball, this year they trade for Kidd and they are the best team in the east. Furthermore, Jason Kidd is a guard averaging 7 rebounds per game. He is third in steals and is averaging 10 assists per game to go along with his 15 points per game. The guy also gets a triple double or near triple double every night.

Guest starvenger

A case can be made for McGrady, as he's really carried the load for the Magic with Grant Hill being injured again, but I think that it'll be a tight race between Kidd and Duncan.

Kidd has shown that he can step it up given a decent supporting cast, while Duncan has taken charge of a team that relies less and less on David Robinson.

In the end, I think that Kidd will edge out Duncan, with T-Mac finishing 3rd.

It will definately come down to Kidd and Duncan, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either one win.  Leading NJ to 50+ wins was amazing.  But I agree with the points made about Duncan.  Popovich even said, and was quoted, saying that he "chaned the players and systems around Duncan" and told him to go do his thing.  That's very impressive.  Although he isn't the most dominant player in the league (Shaq.. too big), I'd pick Duncan over Kidd for my MVP, but just barely.  I think Kidd will win though.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Nobody really has had anything to say about Kevin Garnett for MVP, which is surprising.  His stats are certainly comparable to Duncan's (Timmy is a 25-12-3 guy while KG is a 21-12-5 guy), and the Timberwolves are enjoying marked success this year.  But it'll probably be Jason Kidd.  It's the first division crown in Nets' history, for Christ's sake.  Jason Kidd gets my vote for making Todd MacCullough's $300 billion contract not look like like a brainfart.

LUNATIC

It's the "most valuable" player, not "best".

Guest Vern Gagne

One thing about Kidd is he was helped by Martin, Van Horne, and Kittles being healthy this year. They also added Todd McCullough, and Richard Jefferson. Not saying Kidd shouldn't be a contender but the Nets are healthy for the first time in years.

No No No No No to Kevin Garnett. The Timberwolves will probably lose again in the 1st Round. Garnett either refuses to or can't step up and take the final shot when the game is on the line. His defense his overrated has well.

Guest goodhelmet

Being from San Antonio, I'm going to pick..... Tim Duncan without a doubt. It's nice what Kidd did for the Nets BUT they are playing an extremely soft Eastern Conference schedule and is excelling in a weak division. If they were in the West, they MIGHT be a playoff team. Duncan, on the other hand, is contending where the real NBA franchises are playing right now. Shaq has Kobe. Webber has Stojokavic. KG has nobody but with his skills, he should be leading the league in scoring. Big underachiever. Without Duncan, the Spurs would be fighting Chicago for the 1st draft pick. Duncan's stats are the best of his career: 5th in scoring, 2nd in rebounds(80% free throw WTF). No one has raised their overall game like Duncan has. And to still be contending in the West after the Spurs were decimated with injuries in the middle of the season. Just call the "Big Fundamental" MVP!!!

Guest midnight_burn

I'd say either Duncan or Kidd will probably win the award, and i'm inclined to give the edge to Tim Duncan.

Jason Kidd is the biggest part of the huge improvement by New Jersey, but the fact that the team isn't plagued by injuries like past years has certainly helped as well.

Duncan is basically carrying the Spurs to great success in a tough conference, also surviving injuries to other key Spurs players. Without Duncan, the Spurs would be down with Denver and Golden State.

A solid case can be made for either man, and i'm sure one of them will be the NBA MVP.

Guest JerryDrake

In my mind McGrady should get it, he basically brought Orlando to the 4th spot, in the Eastern Conference.

Without anyones help, except maybe Darrell Armstrong.

Then again i am biased, because i an a McGrady mark.

Guest Choken One

This season has basically been narrowed down to a short line here between only three true contenders for the MVP, Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd and Tracy McGrady. Who got the edge? Jason Kidd. He has the East Coast influence and has more attractive personality. Tim Duncan is tedious and not charismatic and T-Mac has not really gained the respect of voters like T.D and J.K. Kidd had a more improbable challenge, leading a 26 win team to the playoffs and T.D only had to take a former Championship team back to the playoffs in a less competitive conference (It’s a 4 team conference ). In the end, It’s Jason Kidd whom had the more impressive season and had a tougher road then Tim Duncan. Although, T.D’s numbers were stellar, Jason Kidd was more extraordinary.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Quickly, in defense of Garnett ...

First knock:  he can't win in the playoffs.  This is true, but the MVP has nothing to do with the playoffs; and in terms of the league, Garnett is very, very important to the T-Wolves' success this year.  Second knock:  he doesn't score enough.  While I don't think he gets to the line enough (especially when guarded by a bigger guy), he's not a bomber by nature and realizes that he's their leader on the court.  He COULD score more, if he SHOT more. He could certainly shoot more (he's about 20th in the league in shots per), but he gets 5 assists a game too.  Wally Szczerbiak has certainly benefitted from Garnett's unselfish play, whether he wants to admit it or not.

In defense of Jason Kidd ...

I like Jason Kidd.  I do.  And Jason Kidd can win when you surround him with finishers, which is what he is blessed with in New Jersey.  Granted, they're all healthy this year ... but I think that regardless of who else is on that floor, Kidd would be successful as long as his other guys will finish.  I don't think anybody on that team is really good at getting his own shot, and THAT'S probably why Jason Kidd is YOUR MVP.  Nobody on the Nets is averaging more than 15 PPG.  The only knock on Kidd is that he has a few ATROCIOUS shooting games under his belt, and doesn't really shoot well to begin with (under 40%).

LUNATIC

Of course, if Shaq wasn't having a down year, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Guest goodhelmet

"He has the East Coast influence and has more attractive personality."

Since when is the MVP based on personality?

And I didn't know being a wife-beater made your personality more attractive.

Guest thevertex

I have to agree with Vern Gagne. I personally think the Nets could have been 7th or 8th in the East last year if they were healthy. Maybe even 4th or 5th if winning motivated Marbury to not suck. For years New Jersey was basically a black hole for talent. Home of the infamous Ed O'Bannon and Yinka Dare.

A couple years ago they decided to start over by trading Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson and stockpiling picks. They had some decent players with Kittles, Jayson Williams, Van Horn, and Sam Cassell and actually got some results in 1998, but soon things just collapsed. Their coach was fired after a horrible start, Williams had a career ending injury, and their entire team just kept getting hurt. At least things started getting better last year, they not only got Marbury which let to getting Kidd, but they won the Lottery to get Kenyon Martin (very underrated player, awesome defender), and hired Scott. This year being healthy+Kidd improving chemistry+good moves via Free Agency/Draft have all led to success.

That's why I actually don't think Kidd is the MVP because he has slowed a bit since the start. That's not bad though, because the Nets have gotten more well-rounded. I really wish they had someone like Oakley for the playoffs though. It's just that a few other players have carried their teams on their backs more.

Guest gwf0704

Tim Duncan is in the top ten in 6 different categories.  He leads a team of role players.  He plays in the much tougher and faster paced Western Conference.  He is not a flashy assist dishing point guard but the best power forward in a conference that also has Nowitzi, Garnett, Webber and Finley.

Jason Kidd is an MVP candidate but Duncan is more well rounded and has fundamentals.  Also, J Kidd did help the Nets to the best record in the East, but considering they had an injured Kittles, Van Horn and Martin last year explains the lack of a playoff run then and how they are contenders now as the Nets are more team oriented and the Spurs are clearly all about TD.

MVP-Tim Duncan

I would have both duncan and kidd split the award, I can;t see either of them taking it over the other this year.  Why is kobe bryant on the list.  He is way overrated and he is just a mcgrady or a carter, not great but flashy.  Can he win without shaq, NO.  Shit, mcgrady deserves a nomination over him, he acually wins without another super dooper top 5 guy on his team (grant hill didn;t play or else I wouldn;t say that).  FUCK KOBE.  Just another nut who thinks he can do it all.  

--Rob

Guest goodhelmet

I gotta agree Rob. FUCK kobe. We'll see his true skills when Shaq is gone for good. Just call him Scottie pippen. And as much as I hate the Lakers, this is Shaq's league and noone can stop him... only the free throw line.

As for MVP? It's still Duncan. Recording a triple-double in the playoffs. Sweet!

Guest Ripper

"One thing about Kidd is he was helped by Martin, Van Horne, and Kittles being healthy this year. They also added Todd McCullough, and Richard Jefferson. Not saying Kidd shouldn't be a contender but the Nets are healthy for the first time in years."

So tell me this...Who would you rather have Kittles or Steve Smith? David Robinson or Keith Van Horn... Tony Parker or Todd McCullough?  The Spurs have the deepest all around team in the league while the Nets have Van Horn's incosistancy, Martins flagrants, Kittles just as inconsistant.  Jason did alot more carrying than he is given credit for.  Van Horn and Marting were there for most of the year last season.  By the time Martin was hurt, they were already scouting for the draft.

Guest gwf0704
"One thing about Kidd is he was helped by Martin, Van Horne, and Kittles being healthy this year. They also added Todd McCullough, and Richard Jefferson. Not saying Kidd shouldn't be a contender but the Nets are healthy for the first time in years."

So tell me this...Who would you rather have Kittles or Steve Smith? David Robinson or Keith Van Horn... Tony Parker or Todd McCullough?  The Spurs have the deepest all around team in the league while the Nets have Van Horn's incosistancy, Martins flagrants, Kittles just as inconsistant.  Jason did alot more carrying than he is given credit for.  Van Horn and Marting were there for most of the year last season.  By the time Martin was hurt, they were already scouting for the draft.

Im not saying Kidd is not deserving but look at the award.  It is for most valuable player in the NBA which is Duncan for the reasons I have listed (stats, skills, defense, team record) and not Most Valuable Player for a team.  Kidd would win that hands down.  The problem is the NBA doesnt really have that distinction of the award.  As Charles Barkely was once quoted as saying "If the award went to the best player in the NBA Michael Jordan would have won it 8 yrs in a row!"  They need to expand it some more..

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Jason Kidd should win the MVP.

Guest Human Fly

Something is wrong, Kidd was robbed. The other day Kidd won the game for his team, while the 'MVP' was getting his junk swatted by Shaq and Samaki Walker.

Duncan seriously won it? Every poll I've seen has Kidd winning it. I don't see why the results would be much different.