TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dvkorn

MOTY

Guest dvkorn

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread like this yet... but anyway...

Whats YOUR 2003 TNA Match of the Year...? AMW VS XXX cage...? Juvi Vs Sabin..? Lynn & Red Vs XXX..? Ultimate X 1..?

And while we're going that way, why not your favourite show this year.. best wrestler, best tag team, best feud, best newcomer and anything else you wanna add...

For Me...

Match of the Year - My MOTY would have to be the AMW Vs XXX Cage match from the week after the anniversary... just a great match, told an awesome story, the juice jobs were great, the finish was great... overall i loved it.. and even though i didn't see it live on ppv, when i was watching it and i already knew the result and all that, i was still marking out huge for the match... And my Elix love after this match went up heaps...

Favourite Show - Would have to be the Ultimate X 1 show..? I just loved the entire show... The gauntlet was excellent and booked really well.. Ultimate X 1 was great... the AMW/Simon & Swinger Strap Match i think it was was great... the Jarrett/Watts Vs Daniels/Legend match was quite the decent encounter... Watts impressed me in this match... Julio & Punk Vs New Church was decent... the opening to the show with Raven & The Gathering brawling and then the awesome Raven promo "You don't want a war" then the Raven hanging... The story with Raven throughout the show was great.. and then he came out last in the gauntlet i don't think there was anyone, anywhere that did not love that... how could you not..?

Best Wrestler - For me it is between Raven & Styles... both have had a great, great years... Raven's best since probably like 97/98 and Styles just keeps getting better... But i'd have to go with Raven... he's had some great matches... (Vs Jarrett, Vs Styles (3 times), Vs Jarrett Vs Styles, Vs Sandman (good brawls), was in some good tags... like Raven & Ki Vs Sandman & Corino, the stuff with Douglas) just a great year... very hard to chose between Styles & Raven...

Best Tag Team - I'll have to go with AMW and Triple X a very close 2nd... again hard to chose between them... but i'm goin with AMW because XXX broke up mid year whilst AMW went on to have some great matches with Simon & Swinger...

Best Feud - I'll go with Jarrett/Raven... the build to this match was fantastic starting in January when Raven and three way type feud with Styles, then just the Jarrett/Raven build... then after the match heading toward the 3 way match with Styles the week before the anniversary... there were some other great feud this year as well... like Raven/Mitchell & Douglas, Jarrett/Styles, AMW/XXX, Raven/Sandman... etc

Best Newcomer - For me it is between Sabin and Abyss... Both since coming to TNA have done some awesome stuff... but i'll have to go with Sabin.. just... he has done some awesome work this year... matches with Kazarian, Juvi, Ultimate X etc..

anyway... yours...?

Match: Lynn & Red v. Triple X was great.

Show: Easily the Super X Cup

Wrestler: AJ Styles or Chris Daniels

Tag Team: Definitely XXX, although Diamond & Swinger are a close second.

Feud: AJ/D'Lo. Loved those matches.

Newcomer: the incomparable Chris Sabin

Match Of The Year: XXX vs. Jerry Lynn/Amazing Red vs. Jason Cross/Shark Boy vs. Jonny Storm/Chris Sabin

This match is what introduced TNA fans to Chris Sabin, and featured top-notch work from all involved. By the last 5 minutes of this ****1/2 classic, EVERYBODY was on their feet. The following week's Tag Team title match between XXX and Jerry Lynn/Amazing Red was almost as good, but I feel this was better by 1/4*. This gets the nod for being nearly perfect in every way (the only non-perfect things being long-term selling and psychology).

Favorite Show: Super X - 9/3/03

Sure, every match was a spotfest. But you know what? What other show in 2003 had TWO TNA MOTY candidates (Teddy Hart/Juventud Guerrera, Chris Sabin/Juventud Guerrera), and a kick-ass WarGames match (Wednesday Bloody Wednesday)?

Best Wrestler: AJ Styles

While I would have selected Raven had the feud with Shane Douglas and Father Mitchell never occurred (because they dragged out too long, and featured poor matches), the poor booking of AJ's World title reign (thanks, Jeff, for making the best worker on the roster seem like a chump) wasn't enough to make me ignore his awesomeness this year.

Best Tag Team: XXX

Who had the best tag matches this year? XXX. Who carried AMW to their best matches ever? XXX. Who rules? O'Doyle rules, but that's besides the point.

Best Feud: Raven vs. Jeff Jarrett

Sure, the final blowoff sucked, as it almost entirely buried Raven. Sure, it was only a featured feud from February to the end of April. Sure, the repercussions (sp.?) of the match didn't have much of an effect on the rest of TNA, but do you know what? For the period of time leading up to the match, there was no other match in the world I'd have rather seen.

Best Newcomer: Chris Sabin

Is there any, ANY doubt that this was Sabin's year to show the world who he was? After a highly impressive debut in my MOTY pick, Sabin continued returning, and got better with each week. After defeating the Amazing Red and Jerry Lynn in a Triple Threat match for the X-Division title, Sabin was in full-swing until the loss of the belt to the highly, HIGHLY inferior Michael Shane. And on the first show in 2004, Sabin regained the X-Division title in the same atmosphere he lost it, coming full circle.

TNA Match of the Year: I'd put Juvi/Sabin 9/3/03 and AMW/XXX Cage both at ****1/2, so call it a toss-up.

Show of the year: Hands down, 9/3.

Guest Mosaicv2

Jeff Jarrett & Raven April 30th match is really underrated in my book... so the wrong man won... it doesnt mean it was a bad match

Jeff Jarrett vs The Phenomenal AJ Styles vs Raven... Douglas debuts & AJ wins the title

Sting & Jeff Jarrett vs AJ & Syxx Pac was a well worked out match

AJ & Dlo series of matches were descent

Juvi vs Hart & Sabin vs Juvi= awesome

AMW vs Triple H steel cage match

Triple H vs Lynn & Red

Jarrett vs AJ feb 19

tats about it in my humble opinion

Jeff Jarrett & Raven April 30th match is really underrated in my book... so the wrong man won... it doesnt mean it was a bad match

Jeff Jarrett vs The Phenomenal AJ Styles vs Raven... Douglas debuts & AJ wins the title

Sting & Jeff Jarrett vs AJ & Syxx Pac was a well worked out match

AJ & Dlo series of matches were descent

Juvi vs Hart & Sabin vs Juvi= awesome

AMW vs Triple Xnsteel cage match

Triple xvs Lynn & Red

Jarrett vs AJ feb 19

tats about it in my humble opinion

That about sums it up for me.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Match Of The Year: Toss up between Raven vs. Jeff JArrett and Teddy Hart vs. Juventud. Raven/Jarrett had me on the edge of my seat, with great booking, making me want to pay to see it. If not for the backstage problem with Raven, the ending would have been a lot different and a lot better.

In Hart/Juvi's case, the spotfest had me marking out for the entire 12-14 minutes the match ran, and was just non stop action, which is what the promotion calls themself.

Wrestler of the year: Raven

Styles loses because of the terrible booking of his Title reign. Raven has drawn more fans to TNA because of his cult followings, and brings in the veteran image for younger guys. He's ahd some good-great matches, dragged a few good matches out of stumps (Shane Douglas & Kevin Northcutt for example) and was part of the biggest storyline of the year.

Tag Team: xXx

See everyone elses opinion.

Best Show: 9/3/03 Wins of course.

Best Newcomer: Chris Sabin. Raven, if he counts, would be next because he didn't debut in TNA until early 2003. But for an Indy guy looking for a big national TV break, then yes, Sabin all the way.

Wrestler of TNAs future: Abyss

Sure, his mannuerisms suck, but for 6'7" 340 lbs., he's pretty good and is able to have ***+ matches. Him/Styles had me marking out for the first time in weeks and I'm glad to see him around. too bad he sucked as Justice (Mr. I can only big boot from Week 1)

Dumbest Decision: Bringing in Luger, Jimmy Hart, ATTEMPTING to bring in Huk Hogan, Rick steiner, Jim Duggan, Sandman, New Jack...

WORST Wrestler: Lex Luger

The guy makes A.J Styles look like shit, NO SELLS EVERYTHING, and barely sells FIVE bat shots from Sting in a losing match.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Match of the Year -XXX vs. AMW Cage Match -The reason why I picked this over the other ones was it was the first Cage match in TNA history, and it could have been a total disaster. For them to go out and put on a match like this was amazing. Also I feel this was when AMW peeked, as they have gotten increasingly worse since this match.

Favorite Show - Super X Cup - The proof is in the pudding with this show. There are more **** matches on this show that any other ones. When tourney's are done correctly, they kick major ass.

Best Wrestler - AJ Styles - Nobody in TNA has had more consistently good matches week after week than AJ Styles. He proved this year why he is the real MVP of TNA.

Best Tag Team - XXX- Plain and simple they had the best run with the Tag Titles, and they are just plain better than any of their competition.

Best Feud - I probably would have said Raven vs. Jarrett, but the blowoff with Jarrett retaining the title really left a bad taste in my mouth. So I decided to go with AJ vs. DLo as I thought they put on VERY solid matches, as they were some of the best from TNA all year.

Best Newcomer - I would have to pick Abyss here. I like Sabin, but there are plenty of others that can wrestle just like him. I give Abyss a lot of credit for being pretty damn good for a hoss. By the way, that wasn't a knock on Sabin in the least....he kicks ass and is a close second to Abyss IMO.

Best Match: AMW vs XXX in the cage.

Best Worker: AJ Styles

Best Feud: Raven vs Jeff Jarrett

And for the record, Chris Sabin is one of the most impressive newcomers I've seen in a long time. I love everything that guy does in the ring :cheers:

Guest The Midnight Rocking Warrior

Who won the actual awards that they announced on PPV? All I know is that Styles won Mr. TNA