TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

X-Men comics

I'm really interested in reading some of the comics, as I think they have some great storylines [i have read a few]. But, the problem is, my library's issues are so..confuddled. They have Uncanny, New, X-Treme, and some others, but the issues are so scrambled, that I have trouble keeping up with the series. Most recently, I read a four-parter and a three parter; 'Assault on Weapon X' and a series-I-forget-the-name-of. It was about Quentin Quire on this drug called 'Kick'.

Anyway...what's a good series to start with? Or, perhaps a better question would be...what's a good series with a lot of Kurt? He is, of course, my fave chara.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Assult on Weapon X and Riot at Xaviers (the other one u read) are in New X-Men. Kurt just recently stared in a ark in Uncanny that got some bad reviews, called the Draco. It should be out in a trade this month or next...

The only good X-Men out now, in my opinion, is New. Chuck Austen has his hands on Uncanny and it's horrible. Everything up through the Riot at Xavier's and its follow-up, Murder at the Mansion, is currently collected in trades, and Morrison's last 13 issues should be collected in a couple months more.

It's amazing, but I honestly don't think you'd like it that much. Nightcrawler isn't in it at all. There is a big romance story you might like, though. You can pick up the first trade (6 issues) for 10 or 12 bucks at most stores, or you can go out and get the gorgeous hardcovers that collect 14 and 15 issues at a time. They're amazing.

You'd have to talk to other people to learn about the older incarnations of the comic - I've only read the "classic" stories that my well-read comic friends have picked out for me.

Classic X-Men trade paperbacks are the way to go. The comics have gone to shite the last 5 years. Since you are a fan of Nightcrawler, try to find any of the Excalibur comics/trades that you can. Basically Excalibur is a group of mutants and other oddities in England, and they are lead by Nightcrawler.

Other than Claremont and Byrne's run on the X-Men, I think the X-Men franchise is the most overrated one in recent history (with the exception of Cable).

Claremont was great during his time with Byrne right up till the end of his run on Uncanny when the self titled series started. Add that with the crappification of New Mutants becoming X-Force (and then becoming its crappy incarnation), X-Factor going from the classic X-Men team to a bunch of second string characters, and way too many characters, the whole group turned to crap.

If you're looking to start on X-Men as a whole, I'd suggest looking for "The Essential X-Men" Trade Paperbacks. They reprint a lot of the early issues of the Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum (get better, Dave!) era, in black and white. Good readin'.

If you don't want to look at those, I'd suggest picking up the "Dark Phoenix Saga", "From the Ashes" and "Fall of the Mutants" for starters.

As for the "current era", most of the Austen stuff on Uncanny (save for "the Draco") have been ok to surprisingly good. "Trial of the Juggernaut" is a good read. I haven't read enough of New X-Men to get a good feel of it, but if you like Grant Morrison, it should be all good.

And if you want Nightcrawler, definitely, go for Excalibur. A lot of fun when Claremont or Alan Davis were writing the book.

If you were thinking of picking up X-Treme X-Men, well, I suggest that you get it while you can.

Source: Newsarama

X-TREME X-MEN ENDS IN APRIL

While Marvel has already announced that the X-Men franchise will be “Reloaded” in 2004, actual facts have been hard to come by – until now. While not going into much detail, Marvel has confirmed for Newsarama that X-Treme X-Men will end in April, with a replacement waiting in the wings.

The month will see two issues of the series ship, both written by Chris Claremont and penciled by Igor Kordey. Issue #45 will conclude the “Prisoner of Fire” storyline, while issue #46 will be a stand-alone finale issue, with the team facing a transition point in their lives.

X-Treme X-Men is consistently one of Marvel's better-selling titles, consistently landing in the Top 20 comics or above in any given month.

The series will be replaced by a new Excalibur series in May.

Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada confirmed the changes in the X-lineup for Newsarama, saying:

“We have a very solid strategy brewing with the X-Books which we have discussed with all the current and future teams. X-Treme doesn't quite go away, it morphs into another title but you'll hear about that soon enough.

”As for Excalibur, not all is as it seems. Chris had an amazing concept for the book and then he and I spitballed a bit and made it that much juicier. It will have some of the most unexpected happenings in the X Universe in a long time.”

Excalibur!! Woohoo!!

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I think you would probably like Ultimate X-Men the best, but that's just my opinion.

If you were thinking of picking up X-Treme X-Men, well, I suggest that you get it while you can.

Trust me, you don't want to pick it up. Unless you need fuel for your fireplace.

Claremont is the George Lucas of comics. A legend who passed into senility a loooooonnnnngggg time ago.

Edited by Kahran Ramsus

Ever since the first reboot (let's cut Wolverine's hand off, yay!) and even before that, the X-Men have been awful. And yeah, the Havok B-teamer version of X-Factor coughed up exactly one decent issue (the Psychiatrist issue after X-Cutioner's Song).

But don't talk too much smack on X-Force. I'd wager the plotlines were a thousand times more palatable than some of the New Mutants junk I remember barfing upon and, after Cable left, it ended up turning into one of the most readable X-books out there (in my opinion).

Ever since the first reboot (let's cut Wolverine's hand off, yay!) and even before that, the X-Men have been awful. And yeah, the Havok B-teamer version of X-Factor coughed up exactly one decent issue (the Psychiatrist issue after X-Cutioner's Song).

Actually, the first reboot went pretty well. You're talking about the second reboot, the Age of Apocalypse...

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Yuna, since I've known you, I've tried to get you into the X-Men comics, you're finally interested... and you don't even think to shoot me a PM?

Ever since the first reboot (let's cut Wolverine's hand off, yay!) and even before that, the X-Men have been awful.  And yeah, the Havok B-teamer version of X-Factor coughed up exactly one decent issue (the Psychiatrist issue after X-Cutioner's Song).

Actually, the first reboot went pretty well. You're talking about the second reboot, the Age of Apocalypse...

Which "reboot" are you talking about? The post-Shadow King X-Men #1 or the "X-Men in Australia from the Siege Perilous" debacle?

If either one of those were what you were talking about, I wasn't even considering them reboots...though, I do suppose they could work as such. All I know is that I thought the Age of Apocalypse was pretty fucking lousy.

Ever since the first reboot (let's cut Wolverine's hand off, yay!) and even before that, the X-Men have been awful.  And yeah, the Havok B-teamer version of X-Factor coughed up exactly one decent issue (the Psychiatrist issue after X-Cutioner's Song).

Which "reboot" are you talking about? The post-Shadow King X-Men #1 or the "X-Men in Australia from the Siege Perilous" debacle?

If either one of those were what you were talking about, I wasn't even considering them reboots...though, I do suppose they could work as such. All I know is that I thought the Age of Apocalypse was pretty fucking lousy.

Does "Giant Size X-Men #1" ring a bell?

I love/have that issue. It was a great use of Doc Samson, especially him hitting on Polaris.

I love/have that issue. It was a great use of Doc Samson, especially him hitting on Polaris.

That was during the Peter David run on X-Factor, right? I didn't really like Larry Stroman's work. It was quirky, but often a little too quirky for me. David probably wrote the best Quicksilver ever though. One of the funniest things for me was the fact that the strong guy (Guido) was code-named... Strong Guy.

I finished reading this 'Draco' series in Uncanny...well, up to part 4 at least. And it's revealed that Satan is Kurt's father?! Wait...WTF? That part totally lost me.

OK, so you don't have to read the story anymore:

- "Satan" is just a really old mutant named Azazel, and is Nightcrawler's biological father. His mother is still Mystique though. And he lives in the dimension that Kurt travels through when he teleports.

And there's some crap about wanting to take over the world, blah blah blah. Part 6 has some of the worst art that you'll ever see.

And in the subplot, Juggernaut beats the crap out of Sammy's dad, and Alpha Flight arrests him, leading to the next arc.

That was during the Peter David run on X-Factor, right? I didn't really like Larry Stroman's work. It was quirky, but often a little too quirky for me. David probably wrote the best Quicksilver ever though. One of the funniest things for me was the fact that the strong guy (Guido) was code-named... Strong Guy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure David wrote it.

OK, so you don't have to read the story anymore:

- "Satan" is just a really old mutant named Azazel, and is Nightcrawler's biological father. His mother is still Mystique though. And he lives in the dimension that Kurt travels through when he teleports.

And there's some crap about wanting to take over the world, blah blah blah. Part 6 has some of the worst art that you'll ever see.

And in the subplot, Juggernaut beats the crap out of Sammy's dad, and Alpha Flight arrests him, leading to the next arc.

I want to keep reading; the whole 'Kurt, I'm Satan and I'm your fatherrrrr [cue Darth breating]' was a total 'wait....huh?!' moment. It was interesting, though, to say the least. Isn't 'Uncanny' where he's trying to be a priest or something? I remember reading an issue about that [the order of my issues is all messed up ^.^].

I love the subplot between Caine and Sammy. He's this [too] HUGE muscle guy and he's caring for this lil fish-boy. I liked how he totally lost control over seeing Sammy so beat up. The art of him is nice; I just groan and roll my eyes whenever I see some too-huge muscle-bound guy. Yeah, it's to be expected because it's a comic book, but still...

Still, in a book about prejuidice and not judging others based on their appearance, I find the character of Northstar to be almost a contradict to that. [This is the first time I've read about him. Finding out he was gay was another 'wait...what??' moment]. It's like, okay, you've pointed out that he's gay...no need to point it out in every scene [him saying the Alpha Flight's outfits were 'chic'].

Guest Goodear

Unfortunately, being gay is basically all Northstar has going for him other than being a poor man's Quicksilver. Since he's been brought into the X-Men fold, I can't remember seeing him when being gay didn't pop up.

Unfortunately, being gay is basically all Northstar has going for him other than being a poor man's Quicksilver. Since he's been brought into the X-Men fold, I can't remember seeing him when being gay didn't pop up.

I think there was a storyline about Northstar having the hots for Iceman.

Unfortunately, being gay is basically all Northstar has going for him other than being a poor man's Quicksilver.  Since he's been brought into the X-Men fold, I can't remember seeing him when being gay didn't pop up.

I think there was a storyline about Northstar having the hots for Iceman.

There was an issue or two this summer that involved him trying to make Iceman as uncomfortable as possible.