TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cerebus

Suikoden series

The third's pair battle system is a bit odd and takes some getting used to but keep up with it for a chapter or so and you'll wonder why you ever had second thoughts about it.

I made the mistake of playing as Geddoe first. His first chapter is the most difficult and I hadn't gotten used to the battle system yet.

What two characters are you referring to?  If it is Viktor & Flik, they are major characters, not cameos.

Fair enough. The re-appearance of Flik and Viktor kind of stopped me from playing. And the fact that the beginning of the game moves at a snail's pace, sure.

And count me in as another poor sap who played through Geddoe's chapter first as well. One note about Suikoden III: even though I'm hardly a graphics junkie, I have to admit that it bothers me that the characters all run around like they have a six-foot iron pole shoved up their ass. Just a pet peeve, I suppose.

Fair enough. The re-appearance of Flik and Viktor kind of stopped me from playing. And the fact that the beginning of the game moves at a snail's pace, sure.

How far did you get? I can tell you whether you should bother to continue playing or not. Viktor & Flik show up five minutes into the game. They don't join permanently until after Neclord shows up again. You are forced to use them quite a bit from that point on, although not as much as in Suikoden I.

Konami can't make RPGs.

Blasphemy!~ Don't say such things about Konami.

I couldn't care about any Suikoden characters, they seem so lifeless and trite.

As are 99% of all RPG characters.

The battles are nothing interesting to speak of, I'd rather not fight.

Hey, that rhymes. It was nice of them to include the auto-fight command, though. I found battles not distracting or a chore at all, and the boss fights were often challenging and fun.

The rune crap and the rest of the gameplay system is pretty bad, as well, not fun at all.

I.Y.O.

The story has a chance, but it's executed poorly, and the characters ruin it.

I honestly don't mind when plot doesn't get in the way of the actual gameplay. I thought it moved along rather well, the characters were developed as well as can be expected for how many there were, and the main ones seemed fine to me.

S1 is average, S2 is the most overrated RPG in history, and S3 isn't even worth the time.

I only played 1, but I'll admit bias towards it because it seemed like a perfectly competent and playable old-school RPG with some great ideas, great art, great music, and at the time it wasn't average because the number of RPGs out were pretty pathetic.

I'll also take Suikoden 1 even now after most of the crap that passes for the upper echelon of RPGs to Americans. My Lord, seeing the Game Informer review for Crystal Chronicles, which is just a big blowjob for other, current Square RPGs, made me sick to my stomach.

All that saves it is the music. Buy the Celtic Collections! Buy the Piano Collections! Get the baroque and rock arranged albums! The music is seriously beyond the games themselves.

Listening to it while playing the game's still fun to me. Although yeah, the games are another shining example of how Konami has some of the finest music composers in the industry working for them.

Those two sentences rhyming is the funniest unintentional thing I can remember doing. And it sounds like a Dr. Suess rhyme, too.

I definitely wouldn't say 99 percent of RPG characters are pointless, unless you include NPCs like townspeople and whatnot. I've played plenty games where I could indentify or at least have interst in the characters. All Suikoden characters have boring, uninteresting personalites.

What RPGs besides Suikoden has Konami made? Ephemeral Fantasia?

These toolsheds who run around claiming Suikoden is the greatest thing ever are annoying, but nothing is worse than the unfair bias the general media has towards Square. I'm not even bothering with Crystal Chronicles or whatever the shelving out. And it's sad they're delaying the US release of SO3 so much, if it had Final Fantasy in its title it would have been released months ago.

What RPGs besides Suikoden has Konami made? Ephemeral Fantasia?

That's not the point. The point is, I think given time to perfect their craft, that Konami can make a great game in any genre. They're about the only ones to make a good Mario Kart clone (most attempt and fail horribly).

These toolsheds who run around claiming Suikoden is the greatest thing ever are annoying, but nothing is worse than the unfair bias the general media has towards Square. I'm not even bothering with Crystal Chronicles or whatever the shelving out. And it's sad they're delaying the US release of SO3 so much, if it had Final Fantasy in its title it would have been released months ago.

I don't think it's the greatest thing ever, but I don't think its bad either--judging from the one game I played. I heard SIII isn't good so I haven't bothered with it yet.

However, the review is so hilarious. This jackass seems to be expecting a typical Final Fantasy game, ignorant that the game is supposed to be an offshoot of the Mana game. He calls it "unfit to bear the sacrosanct Final Fantasy name." As soon as I show it to some buds for laughs, I'm burning the damn thing.

Oh, by the way--on a similar note, check out 411games. A feature on the Dreamcast...and of all games, they praise Grandia II.

That's not the point. The point is, I think given time to perfect their craft, that Konami can make a great game in any genre. They're about the only ones to make a good Mario Kart clone (most attempt and fail horribly).

Konami's had years to make an above average RPG. How much time do they need?

Oh, by the way--on a similar note, check out 411games. A feature on the Dreamcast...and of all games, they praise Grandia II.

Grandia 2 is godly.

I am buying FFCC just because it has "Final Fantasy" in the title.  :headbang:

You're also fat.

Grandia 2 is godly.

*Discounts anything you ever say again.*

Suikoden was ok, but it wasn't the greatest, and Konami does make crappy rpgs. Especially when they can do so much better.

I'm a Squaresoft fan, and thus a FF fan, but ironically their best work isn't from the FF series, but their other, lesser known works like Chrono Trigger, the Mana series and Xenogears. I also put FFT in this category, since only the title and some names are connected to the series, otherwise the game stands on it's own.

Suikoden was ok, but it wasn't the greatest, and Konami does make crappy rpgs. Especially when they can do so much better.

Uh...CV: SotN is an Adventure-RPG. You level up and learn magic and stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Unlike Grandia II, at least Suikoden has good music.

Although, maybe I'm confused with Grandia 1, which was about as fun as getting kicked in the nuts by a mule.

I'm a Squaresoft fan, and thus a FF fan, but ironically their best work isn't from the FF series, but their other, lesser known works like Chrono Trigger, the Mana series and Xenogears.

:lol:

Two out of three ain't bad.

However, you forgot to mention the only good game that Square has released in years: Kingdom Hearts. The sequel of which is being held up so that Square can squirt out a sequel to FFVII in movie form.

I also put FFT in this category, since only the title and some names are connected to the series, otherwise the game stands on it's own.

The Tactics Ogre team was most responsible for FFT. I hope you aren't referring to FFTA either, because I'd play Mystic Quest anyday over that piece of shit.

Uh...CV: SotN is an Adventure-RPG. You level up and learn magic and stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Unlike Grandia II, at least Suikoden has good music.

Although, maybe I'm confused with Grandia 1, which was about as fun as getting kicked in the nuts by a mule.

I'm a Squaresoft fan, and thus a FF fan, but ironically their best work isn't from the FF series, but their other, lesser known works like Chrono Trigger, the Mana series and Xenogears.

:lol:

Two out of three ain't bad.

However, you forgot to mention the only good game that Square has released in years: Kingdom Hearts. The sequel of which is being held up so that Square can squirt out a sequel to FFVII in movie form.

I also put FFT in this category, since only the title and some names are connected to the series, otherwise the game stands on it's own.

The Tactics Ogre team was most responsible for FFT. I hope you aren't referring to FFTA either, because I'd play Mystic Quest anyday over that piece of shit.

I have to agree and say Konami does have excellent composers, I really like the music in Suikoden, nearly as much as FFT. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts, though I've heard good thinfs about it. Grandia sucks.

And I would never confuse FFTA with FFT. FFT is a classic, FFTA is not.

And Xenogears is a classic too, biatch! :headbang:

Grandia sucks.

*Chrono Trigger jury cheers*

And Xenogears is a classic too, biatch!

*Chrono Trigger jury jeers*

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts, though I've heard good thinfs about it.

Very good game. None of the archaic turn-based crap for battles. It's in real time, it's a fun game, and looks, plays, sounds, etc great.

Another rpg that always gets overlooked but in my opinion has good music iare Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny.

This may sound like an odd question--but what does the memory icon for Tales of Destiny look like? You know, those little icons that appear when you check out the Memory Manager?

It's one of the most quotable games ever, as well.

Your stupid mind! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!

This may sound like an odd question--but what does the memory icon for Tales of Destiny look like? You know, those little icons that appear when you check out the Memory Manager?

I believe it's an icon of Stahn's (the hero) head, but it's actually animated, unlike FF icons.

I believe it's an icon of Stahn's (the hero) head, but it's actually animated, unlike FF icons.

Oh...

I have this animated iron of a sword on my memory card..and there's writing in Japanese instead of English for the title, and I have no phucking idea what game it is from. Probably is from a rental.

However, I've never played imports on my PS2. I have no idea what game it could be from, although the sword makes me think of an RPG. Thought it might have been ToD...

Which had a fun battle system, but didn't really grab me too much.

ToP had a lot of great things going for it, but also alot of crap things.

Good:

-Graphics

-Battle system

-Sound

-Characters, Archie!

Bad:

-The most random battles I have EVER gone through.

-Story turns out to be pretty crap after you finish the game.

-Battle can become plain out annoying.

Oh...

I have this animated iron of a sword on my memory card..and there's writing in Japanese instead of English for the title, and I have no phucking idea what game it is from. Probably is from a rental.

However, I've never played imports on my PS2. I have no idea what game it could be from, although the sword makes me think of an RPG. Thought it might have been ToD...

Which had a fun battle system, but didn't really grab me too much.

If it's PS2 card, it's probably Tales of Destiny 2...

But that's actually Tales of Eternia. They renamed it Tales of Destiny 2 for whatever stupid reason.

Because of that blunder, we'll never get the true Tales of Destiny 2. Which was a pretty good game from what I heard.

As for Suikoden, I liked 1 & 2, but instead of an epic feel, when I finally played 3, I felt like how I feel for the .hack series. I'm not about to put taht much money into a "single epic".

"If it's PS2 card, it's probably Tales of Destiny 2..."

My bad, I mean it was PS1.

Hm... I'm quite sure that's Tales of Destiny. Does it look like Stahn's Blade? If so, it's ToD.

Your stupid mind! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!

..?

It's a Grandia 2 quote... I believe Mellina speaks it, but I can't think of where exactly...