TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

The OAO Super Bowl Thread

This just might be the weakest drawing Superbowl in recent memory, Usually for the Superbowl, There’s always either a good storyline or those teams have a good collection of charismatic players. This year we have two teams that don’t have an big “name” whatsoever and no story at all to boot. The game should be great but America won’t be interested…

This bothers me a little bit because I see Tom Brady as a "big name" player. He was MVP in SB36, one of the top QBs in 2001, 2002 and 2003. Once again, I live in CT so maybe I biased.

There is a lot of hype here about the SB, so I am not getting any of this non-hype like everyone is saying. My bet is that it is the same in the Carolina's, but that is pure speculation.

I'm Bored so I might as well rank the Super Bowls that I have memories of watching which would go back to Super Bowl XX as basically all my sport memories begin in 1986 for whatever reason. This is totally off the top of my head and totally subjective and should not be read by anyone.

1. XXXIII - 49ers 20, Bengals 16. I'm biased, so sue me. Only game to have a winning touchdown in the final minute.

2. XXXII - Denver 31, Green Bay 24. Probably a better game than the above but loses points for Holmgren having the Packers not attempt to stop Terrell Davis for the eventual winning touchdown to save time.

3. XXXIV - St. Louis 23, Tennessee 16. Okay the game wasn't that great the first three quarters but it was probably the best 4th quarter of any Super Bowl and tough to beat the last play of the game for a heart stopping moment.

4. XXXVI - New England 20, St. Louis 17. No explanation really needed here, I just rank it below the other three as I barely remember the rest of the game outside the game winning field goal.

5. XXV - N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19. You'd get a lot of people to argue this is the greatest Super Bowl ever *cough* New Yorkers *cough* but I've never felt the love everyone gives this game as it was just the Giants basically boring the Bills into defeat and the Bills still almost won. Okay unfair comment and I hated the Giants at the time for ending the 49ers shot at three straight but hey its my list!

6. XXX - Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17. Yikes pretty big drop off after that five as most every other Super Bowl in the last 18 years has been fairly forgettable. This game was super competitive though and the Steelers outplayed the Cowboys but Neil O'Donnell fell in love with Larry Brown.

7. XXVIII - Dallas 30, Buffalo 13. Yup its getting ugly. I don't know I guess I rank this above the other blow outs for the Bills shockingly leading at the half before the Cowboys blew them out.

8. XXI - N.Y. Giants 39, Denver 20. It was competitive for about a quarter and sorta entertaining.

9. XXXI - Green Bay 35, New Englad 21. Seriously at this point its totally arbitrary. All I remember about this was Reggie White saying God chose the Packers to win or something but he said that a lot.

10. XXVI - Washington 37, Buffalo 24. Um...well at least In Living Color was on at halftime.

11. XXIV - San Francisco 55, Denver 10. Ya ya this should be at the bottom but WEST COAST BIAS! At least it has some historical significance and I looooooove pointing this game out to anyone who says John Elway was better than Joe Montana.

12. XXXIII - Denver 34, Atlanta 19. Total nothing game and made people start calling John Elway the greatest qb of all-time and NO ONE needs that.

13. XXII - Washington 42, Denver 10. Denver dominated for a quarter and Washington has the best quarter ever in the 2nd. Of course 2nd half ended up being completely irrelevent.

14. XXXVII - Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21. Hey seeing the Raiders getting destroyed can't be half bad.

15. XX - Chicago 46, New England 10. First Super Bowl I ever watched and maybe my earliest sports related memory. I remember my brother and I were rooting for the Patriots. Yeesh.

16. XXIX - San Francisco 49, San Diego 26. Well okay even I can't justify ranking this very high. This game was even more of a sure thing going in than the Denver blow out. They should have just given the 49ers the trophy before the game.

17. XXVII - Dallas 52, Buffalo 17. God I hated the Cowboys and this just sucked to watch. I didn't even see the infamous Leon Lett play as I'd stop watching soon before that.

18. XXXV - Baltimore 34, N.Y. Giants 7. Total nothing game as parity brought the least desirable match-up in Super Bowl history, even more than this year's game. Just didn't give a flying fuck about it.

There ya go.

Guest Coffey

My prediction:

New England Patriots 17, Carolina Panthers 10.

I would've much rather had an Indianapolis/Green Bay Super Bowl, but alas it was not meant to be.

Heaven forbid I ever root for a winner under any circumstances.

That's what happens when you live in Cleveland

It doesn't even have to be a Cleveland game. If I ever root for the Yankees to win a World Series, that'll be the year they get swept and lose every game 45-0.

How in good conscience can an Indians fan (I presume) root for the Yankees?

I think the FG win in XXXVI was better than XXXIV's finish. Maybe my love for the Pats has me biased but if the Pats hadn't made that drive (which I refer to as The Drive, even over Elway's) then I think the Rams win that game in OT because the momentum was deffinately turning.

No way. Even I will admit the first three quarters sucked. But that was the single best quarter and the single most heart-STOPPING play I've ever seen.

Standing up in my Jevon Kearse jersey with my family.

Steve McNair makes one of the top 5 plays I have ever seen a QB make(it was high ranking in those ESPN rankings.) He scrambles right....left......D'Marco Farr and another Ram d-lineman have him wrapped up and the clock would have probably ran out had he been sacked. He WILLS his way free, Cocks his arm back, and FIRES the ball to Dyson at the ten.

Timeout.

Snap

Quick Drop

Slant pattern

Dyson at the 3! Im screaming!!

Hit at the 2! Im in the air!!

Lunges at the 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hands are raised!!!

Short.

I literally fall on my face as my house literally goes quiet for about an hour. An HOUR.

I have to agree with Anklelock. I thought The Longest Yard was far more exciting than Vinatieri's FG, even though The Longest Yard was a losing play on my end (I was rooting for the Titans) and the FG was a winning play (rooted for the Pats)

I note that since I would believe most people tend to look more favorably on exciting plays that went for their team rather than against

Does anyone here expect the Panter's to win? I know it could happen but other then 3 or 4 of turnovers by the Pats is there anyway they can win this game?

Guest FrigidSoul

and Mike Minter did the stupidest thing you can do before facing the Patriots. At their Pre Super Bowl rally he told fans "Don't worry about it, we will come back.... CHAMPIONS!"

What the hell do you think he should have said? "Hey, we'll probably get our asses handed to us because we aren't that good, but we'll try our best not to embarass ourselves too badly." *Howard Dean yell*

Guest FrigidSoul

He should have said something like "Don't count us out, we've been surprising people all year"...you know, implied victory without actually saying you're going to since players do use it as further motivation. Then of course he should have done the Howard Dean scream.

I am picking the Pats to win, but it is CERTAINLY not a given.

The Pats really haven't played a team like Carolina in a LONG time if not this year.

Carolina is a great running team with a superb defense and a QB who can make no mistakes lately. Something obviously has to give.

Lots of GREAT player matchups in this one.

Steve Smith vs Ty Law

Davis/Foster vs Bruschi/McGinest/Vrabel

Pats O-line vs The Fab Four D-line of Carolina

Brady vs Delhomme

I dunno, Carolina strikes me as a team like the Titans if Eddie George was in 1999-2000 form. Delhomme is no McNair, but he does what he has to win.

People complain about the lack of star power, but this might be the best matchup we could have gotten since both teams are pretty well-rounded. The Colts and Chiefs have no defense, the Eagles can't catch, the Packers aren't great on either side of the ball (their offense is stronger, though), the Ravens have no QB and rely on the running game exclusively. Although, you could replace the Pats with the Titans and we'd still probably get a good matchup here.

Heaven forbid I ever root for a winner under any circumstances.

That's what happens when you live in Cleveland

It doesn't even have to be a Cleveland game. If I ever root for the Yankees to win a World Series, that'll be the year they get swept and lose every game 45-0.

How in good conscience can an Indians fan (I presume) root for the Yankees?

I can't. That's why the words "If I ever" are included in that statement.

2. XXXII - Denver 31, Green Bay 24. Probably a better game than the above but loses points for Holmgren having the Packers not attempt to stop Terrell Davis for the eventual winning touchdown to save time.

5. XXV - N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19. You'd get a lot of people to argue this is the greatest Super Bowl ever *cough* New Yorkers *cough* but I've never felt the love everyone gives this game as it was just the Giants basically boring the Bills into defeat and the Bills still almost won. Okay unfair comment and I hated the Giants at the time for ending the 49ers shot at three straight but hey its my list!

I never had a problem with Holmgren's decision. You attempt to stop Davis from scoring, and you risk not having enough time to score yourself. The way Davis ran, he was going to score and it gave them plenty of time to tie the game up. That's easily the best Super Bowl and maybe best game I've seen.

What I remember about this game was how awesome Thurman Thomas was. Close to 100 yards rushing and receiving. This one hurt. As, I really like the Bills and their no huddle offense.

and Mike Minter did the stupidest thing you can do before facing the Patriots. At their Pre Super Bowl rally he told fans "Don't worry about it, we will come back.... CHAMPIONS!"

Well technically they are NFC Champions.

Guest FrigidSoul

John Fox should place a gag order on his team because they're digging themselves a grave.

"I'd like to be the one to score the winning touchdown, or knock down a pass at the end of the game to keep them from winning so the Curse of the Buckners will live."

-- Brentson Buckner referring to Bill Buckner's error in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, in the Jan. 22 editions of the Boston Herald

Speaking of similarities between the Panthers now and the '01 Patriots

John Fox is trying to emphasize the "team over individuals" concept

Wonder if this will be the first super bowl of the modern era where no players are introduced individually

Big difference between the 01 Pats and the 03 Cats- The Pats KEPT THEIR MOUTHS SHUT!

why did the Panthers have a parade BEFORE the SuperBowl?

that's like when Boston had a parade for the Sox after they lost the 99 ALCS.

Tom Brady will do his best Tecumseh and break the hearts of southerners everywhere. :ph34r:

Yeah, the Panthers are getting unusually arrogant while the Pats are just keeping their mouth shut since they are at practice every day.

Brady responded to Sapp but that's it, while the Panthers are making fun of everyone on the Patriots and treating it like they already won the Super Bowl.

I still think they have a chance, but what the hell are they thinking?

Panthers are showing their inexperience by being all cocky. Also the Pats know how big this game is whereas the Panthers are almost treating this like a cakewalk which is beyond stupid on their part.

It's funny how a lot of people here were praising Chad Johnson for guaranteeing victory over the Chiefs by saying it would get the Bengals fired up. Now, everyone's saying it's stupid for the Panthers to do the same thing. For those with bad memory, the Bengals won that game rather easily.

If the Patriots win, it's because they're clearly superior, not because of some comment by the Panthers. No one says "Hey, we made it to the Super Bowl, good enough for me. I'll just stop trying now, not like winning the thing actually matters."

It's funny how a lot of people here were praising Chad Johnson for guaranteeing victory over the Chiefs by saying it would get the Bengals fired up. Now, everyone's saying it's stupid for the Panthers to do the same thing. For those with bad memory, the Bengals won that game rather easily.

If the Patriots win, it's because they're clearly superior, not because of some comment by the Panthers. No one says "Hey, we made it to the Super Bowl, good enough for me. I'll just stop trying now, not like winning the thing actually matters."

The Bengals beating the Chiefs wasn't that impressive because...the Bengals could play defense and the Chiefs couldn't.

And the Chiefs talked right back.

You have to know when you stepped over a line and the only team acting up is over the line. One guy, that's cool.

A whole team? Not the brightest thing.

It'll be a good game, but it's odd seeing them all talking like this.

C'mon, it's the franchise's first Super Bowl, and one of the biggest non-UNC sports events to come out of North Carolina. OF COURSE they're going to have parades, pep rallies, and hype up the local fans. Let the guys have some fun.

I have some Super Bowl questions...

The 1985 Bears. Everyone lists them as one of the all-time greatest teams ever.

How is it that they only won that single Super Bowl? Were they broken up right

after? And how did the 46 defense get its name? What was so significant about it?

I have some Super Bowl questions...

The 1985 Bears. Everyone lists them as one of the all-time greatest teams ever.

How is it that they only won that single Super Bowl? Were they broken up right

after? And how did the 46 defense get its name? What was so significant about it?

I believe there QB got a big head and the offensive line decided to quit protecting him....if I remember what I heard right.

Yeah, it's the biggest thing to happen around the Carolinas in a really long time, so everyone's pretty hype. However, being in the thick of it, I don't see any overconfidence, either in local coverage or listening to the players themselves talk. Even Manning, the guy who almost single-handedly shut down the Eagles, was pretty sedate on the Dan Patrick show on Thursday.

Guest MikeSC
Does anyone here expect the Panter's to win? I know it could happen but other then 3 or 4 of turnovers by the Pats is there anyway they can win this game?

Absolutely. Delhomme is a MUCH better QB than anybody is giving him credit for, their receiving corps is horribly underrated, Davis should be healthy, and their D is actually REALLY good. The Pats definitely can't run and the Panthers showed what they can do to a passing game.

I actually see a Panthers win 20-14.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
He should have said something like "Don't count us out, we've been surprising people all year"...you know, implied victory without actually saying you're going to since players do use it as further motivation. Then of course he should have done the Howard Dean scream.

As Joe Namath said, if a team NEEDS bulletin board material to get hyped up for the SB, they have no shot at winning regardless.

-=Mike