TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

I made one for the Movies folder way back when, so why not one for the Music folder?

Today, I bought the following four CDs:

Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

Type O Negative - Life Is Killing Me

Zombie Apocalypse - This Is A Spark Of Life

I'm currently listening to Maiden, and it's pretty good. I still find Brave New World to be better, but I'm only four tracks in. Doesn't touch anything from the early-to-mid 80's, but very good nonetheless. Why? Well...it's Iron fucking Maiden, that's why.

Nile is...damn. I don't know why I hated them for so long, but I listened to Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka a couple of weeks ago nonstop for, like, three days straight, and I loved it. So I got this one, because many people told me it's their best so far, and I love it too. Brutal. Technical. METAL.

Type O's I haven't listened to fully yet. I need to be in the right mood to listen to Type O, I guess, but "I Don't Wanna Be Me" is awesome, as are "Angry Inch" (though I hate the fucking movie) and the opening track of "Thir13en" is a good riff. Wish it went longer.

Zombie Apocalypse...I feel ripped off. RIPPED THE FUCK OFF. $8 CD for...how many minutes of music? Huh? Take a guess. 45? Nope, way too high. 30? Nope, still way too high. 20?! Subtract about 8 minutes and 35 seconds. Yes, friends, Zombie Apocalypse's album is 11 minutes and 25 seconds long. Now, the tracks that are the longest are 2 and 3-minute songs, and they're a hardcore band that isn't too bad, but...I still feel ripped off. Decent enough album, and I'll take the longest tracks and add 'em to my playlist, then probably sell the CD for a buck to my friend Meehan, whose favorite bands include Give Us Barrabus and DS13 (grindcore freak; Agent would like him).

So...what y'all got recently?

Guest JebusNassedar

I just returned from Fry's Electronics, due to my printer dying the day before a big project is due. I looked for anything Mike Patton, since I'm on a huge kick with him right now. I saw nothing but Lovage and Tomahawk. I havent made a final opinion on Tomahawk, except that Rape This Day is a pretty good song.

Point? I also picked up Type O Negative - Life Is Killing Me. Picked it up after hearing The Dream Is Dead on a friends comp. Good stuff. Very sinister.

I'm hoping that next week, I'll be able to add "City" by Strapping Young Lad. I downloaded All Hail The New Flesh...dear lord.

Guest T®ITEC

- MC 900 Ft Jesus: "Welcome To My Dream" rerelease, with bonus tracks.

...Excellent, except "Dali's Handgun" makes me wanna stab stuff 'cause it sucks. "The City Sleeps" and "Adventures In Failure" make up for it. Good stuff.

- Pearl Jam: "Ten"

Pretty obviously a great album.

- The Doors: "LA Woman"

Yeah, I.. still haven't listened to it. Shame on me.

Most recently: finally, an actual copy of Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers, and all the Smiths' proper albums thanks to a beautiful Half.com deal. Also got the remastered Blonde on Blonde for $15. It's spread across two CDs, which is kinda fruity, but the sound quality is great.

Also, my roommate found a used copy of MC Hammer's post-9/11 album for $3, so we've been giggling at that. I encourage anyone looking to shit himself with giddiness to download "No Stoppin' Us (USA)" or "A Soldier's Letter," if you can somehow find them.

B. Brian's most recent purchases:

The Low-End Theory- A Tribe Called Quest

Slanted & Enchanted- Pavement

Quickness- Bad Brains

Things Fall Apart- The Roots

Talib Kweli and Mos Def are Blackstar- Blackstar

The Will to Live- Ben Harper

De-Loused in the Comatorium- The Mars Volta

Jeebus, get yourself a copy of City as soon as fucking possible. "All Hail the New Flesh" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Devin Townsend: Still the best thing to ever happen to Metal

I'm hoping that next week, I'll be able to add "City" by Strapping Young Lad. I downloaded All Hail The New Flesh...dear lord.

"Hey Man, I'm Going To Fuck This Shit Up

No Fear, No Compromise, I Want It All"

I love that opening line to "Flesh". "City" is awesome, all the way through. I'd pick up "SYL" too if you have the money.

The last CD I bought was Lamb of God's "As the Palaces Burn". Heavy, brutal shit all the way through.

Most recent purchases:

Cerys Matthews- Cockahoop

Embrace- Fireworks (Singles 1997-2002)

My Chemical Romance- You Bring Your Love, I'll Bring The Bullets

Super Furry Animals- Rings Around The World

Far- Water And Solutions (as my old copy was worn out)

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Nile is...damn. I don't know why I hated them for so long, but I listened to Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka a couple of weeks ago nonstop for, like, three days straight, and I loved it. So I got this one, because many people told me it's their best so far, and I love it too. Brutal. Technical. METAL.

Told you that cd ruled. The chanting action towards the end of the album gets old to me after a while, but the first 5 or 6 tracks on that cd are completely off the page. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" is just about the best 12 minutes or so of brutal death metal that I can think of.

That Type O is good shit, too.

The last couple few cds I've gotten have been to expand my Zappa collection. Namely Cheap Thrills, which is decent enough, and Lumpy Gravy, which has grown on me greatly. I also picked up Neurosis & Jarboe's collaboration on a whim, and it fucking sucks. Don't bother, even if you love Neurosis.

Told you that cd ruled. The chanting action towards the end of the album gets old to me after a while, but the first 5 or 6 tracks on that cd are completely off the page. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" is just about the best 12 minutes or so of brutal death metal that I can think of.

AoO, what's your opinion of their Egyptian gimmick?

I actually wrote about Nile in my final paper for my Egyptian History course last semester. My professor, an archaologist was amazed that there was a band that wrote about Egyptian mythology, and he ended up buying "In their Darkened Shrines". Not sure if he ended up liking it or not.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think the Egyptian stuff is pretty groovy, only because the language is ugly and fits metal well, the material is sinister as fuck, and it's old and has that kind of cryptic sort of appeal (no pun intended). Mythology and metal are a pretty volatile mixture though, resulting either in something brilliant, or something extravagantly gay. Nile's more of the former, especially when they use a flute, and drums that are made from human bone.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Ok, so yesterday I got Zappa's Absolutely Free, Live Frogs Set 1, from Claypool and friends, and the holy dogshit almost my new favorite cd ever, Trout Mask Replica, by Captain Beefheart. I'm not even sure where to begin describing this. I'm pretty sure that's not possible, actually. Neon Meate Dream of A Octafish.

I also got the new Offspring CD. I liked it quite well, but I like all of their CDs. This was the album where it really dawned upon me how different they sound now compared to stuff like Smash. This sounded like a bunch of technically proficient studio musicians rather than Dexter, Noodles, and Co. playing on it. I know that Ron Welty quit and they got a new drummer (the dude from Perfect Circle I think?), but the overall sound in general didn't seem like Offspring.

Corey:

The whole album just owns, and it'll grow on you. Its completly better than Brave New World, and is probably one of Maiden's best 5 albums ever. Its just done so well, kinda bummed me out though because the tour manager for them toured in Quebec and Montreal, thats it.

Guest Basswitch

Dredg - El Cielo

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take them on, on your own.

Offspring - Splinter

Blink 182 - Blink 182

Radiohead - OK Computer (finally got it)

Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

Thursday - Full Collapse (i lost my old copy)

Thats all i could afford. Now i dont even have enough $ for gas.

Guest JebusNassedar
Basswitch Posted on Jan 21 2004, 06:09 PM

Dredg - El Cielo

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take them on, on your own.

Offspring - Splinter

Blink 182 - Blink 182

Radiohead - OK Computer (finally got it)

Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

Thursday - Full Collapse (i lost my old copy)

Thats all i could afford. Now i dont even have enough $ for gas

Who needs gas when you can have dredg?

Right. I'll make a note to nab City on my next Tower trip. I just hope I dont get buttraped. $20 for The Blessed Hellride... s'bullshit.

Oh, and one other thing: It's Jebus. One E. One. Only one.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I think Josh Fresse drums for APC, also for the Vandals and a million other bands.

The modern-day Chuck Biscuit.

in the last few weeks i've picked up:

bob dylan - 'blonde on blonde' (lost my old copy; and i got the old "nice price" cd, i ain't having none of that expensive remastered shit)

bob dylan - 'new morning' (awesome album, it's usually the first thing i listen to everyday when i get up and it just makes you feel good for the rest of the day)

bob dylan - 'the basement tapes' (pretty overrated, nothing special)

bob dylan - 'highway 61 revisited' (again, lost my old copy; yes, i've been on a dylan kick)

nine inch nails - 'the downward spiral' (had owned it on tape since forever, just wanted a cd copy of it)

massive attack - 'blue lines' (HUGE disappointment after listening to 'mezzanine', the songwriting is pretty bad & not a whole lot of interesting things going on)

john coltrane - 'ascension' (greatgreatGREAT fiery record, and for some reason it goes down easy for me--'meditations' is next on my "to buy" list)

massive attack - 'blue lines' (HUGE disappointment after listening to 'mezzanine', the songwriting is pretty bad & not a whole lot of interesting things going on)

Give it time. The songwriting is a bit cheesy, particularly during some of the raps, but it's a careful-listening album sonically. The textures aren't as immediately accessible as those first four incredible tracks on Mezzanine, but I don't think much else in the music world is. I think I probably like it better than Mezzanine overall, but it did take me a long time to warm up to it. Start by listening to "Safe From Harm," "Hymn of the Big Wheel," "One Love," and "Unfinished Sympathy" (from where I sit, the best song they've ever done) over and over again. I recommend headphones or big-time loudness.

I'd be really surprised if, within a few weeks, something doesn't flip the "enchanting" switch for you.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Iron Maiden:

Dance Of Death

Brave New World (it blew out of my hands into the street and was run over)

Iron Maiden

Powerslave

Best Of The Beast

Rock In Rio

The Doors:

L.A. Woman (Shit!)

Spinal Tap:

This Is Spinal Tap

Currently on order from amazon are

Laibach - Let It Be

The Einsturzende Neubauten anthology

Sparks - Angst in my pants

I've managed to restrain myself till next payday, but I've been meaning to investigate Crime and the City Solution, Roky Erikson and The Legendary Pink Dots, among others.

Start by listening to "Safe From Harm," "Hymn of the Big Wheel," "One Love," and "Unfinished Sympathy" (from where I sit, the best song they've ever done) over and over again. I recommend headphones or big-time loudness.

I'd be really surprised if, within a few weeks, something doesn't flip the "enchanting" switch for you.

see, "one love" is the one i have the most problems with. those lyrics just make me cringe. if they'd done the 'mezzanine' approach & made those lyrics really sparse and way back in the mix, so as to just accent the music rather than try to exist down with it,

recently burned...

coltrane - 'a love supreme' (i have no idea how i lived without this, the sounds of "psalm" in particular just make me salivate)

ornette coleman - 'free jazz' (eh...doesn't seem to be my thing, it isn't really striking or abrasive & at the same time doesn't have that melodic flair to tie it together, so i'm finding it kind of boring--but i'll give it some more chances)