TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Agent, which Sepultura album do you prefer: Chaos AD or Schizophrenia? I find myself liking the ideas and concepts from Chaos AD (blending metal/hardcore with the tribal drumming that the band heard every day growing up in Brazil), but the music of Schizophrenia (balls-to-the-fucking-wall thrash/death metal) much better. I still give the nod towards Chaos AD, if only for the strength of "Refuse/Resist" and the approach the brothers Cavalera took with it.

On that note, I'm actually thinking about getting into Soulfly. Everything I've heard off of III and The Dark Ages has been enjoyable and similar to mid-90's Sepultura, plus when I saw them open for Slayer years ago on the H82K2 tour they put on a fucking amazing live show. This sorta scares me, since I hated Soulfly in high school strictly based off of how awful Primitive was (with the only decent song being the opener) and for Max ditching Sepultura and thus ruining them. The Cavaleras really had all of their magic together.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't have any use for Soulfly, really. I clung to their debut a bit after Sepultura broke up, but gave up at Primitive.

My favorite Sepultura is Beneath The Remains. Of the two you mentioned, I prefer Schizophrenia.

So if I were to get another Sepultura album, which should I get: Beneath the Remains or Arise? I definitely want to get Beneath, but maybe Arise will help me appreciate Beneath that much more (like how 90's Metallica helps one appreciate 80's Metallica)?

I own "Primitive" and it's not that bad once you get past the influx of guest musicians on there. There's a cool song with Tom Araya on there called "Terrorist" and the last track "Flyhigh" is pretty cool. But yea, Corey, you probably wouldn't like it cuz it sounds too nu-metal-ish, I haven't heard anything Soulfly since so you should probably check their later stuff out as I heard it gets more into the Sepultura roots.

In the last few weeks:

"Figure 8" by Elliott Smith

"A Life Of Surprises:The Best Of" by Prefab Sprout

"These Streets" by Paolo Nutini

"This Year's Model" by Elvis Costello

"The Moon And Antartica" by Modest Mouse

"How To Get Everything You Ever Wanted In Ten Easy Steps" by the Ordinary Boys

6446LP_216.jpg

Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead

Haven't actually given it a listen as I just bought it earlier today, but if it's anything remotely like the other two (yes, just two) Skinless tracks I've heard - "Tampon Lollipops" and the song where the opening sample is Vince McMahon saying "life sucks, and then you die" - it'll be brutal and lovely all the way through. Looking forward to listening to it tomorrow with my co-worker Jim on deliveries, who listens to nothing but rap (he once confused Zeppelin's "Kashmir" with GNR's "November Rain," which I could see if the former wasn't such a classic).

Guest Agent of Oblivion
So if I were to get another Sepultura album, which should I get: Beneath the Remains or Arise? I definitely want to get Beneath, but maybe Arise will help me appreciate Beneath that much more (like how 90's Metallica helps one appreciate 80's Metallica)?

Funny you should mention Metallica in conjunction with Arise. There's some similarities in the tempo to the riffs on there. Same distortion, too. It's decent enough but thoroughly unimportant.

So I gave Skinless a listen today. Lovin' it. Exactly what the two tracks I remember sounded like, and just like the few tracks I remember hearing in passing when I hung out with my elder metalhead friends back in my wee years of high school when I was told the band we were listening to was Skinless. Brutality, borderline grindcore at times, but gut-wrenching death metal to the bone.

...I really wish I didn't have to pay $20 and some odd to get a SMP album shipped over from the UK. Why no US distribution deal? The split with ZA can be found in nearly any Newbury Comics and even some FYE outlets, so why not SMP?

Corey and or AoO.

Which Death album should I get first. I'm leaning towards a more true Death metal sound more than a melodic death metal approach.

I'm most definitely not the one to ask, as the first one I got was Sounds of Perseverance which...well, it's hard to get into fully. But I got Leprosy a few weeks ago and it's been listened to a few times. High quality death metal, and it's fun to see how little true death metal has actually changed from the late 80's when it was coming into its own and now.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

If you just want the raw shit, go with Scream Bloody Gore or Leprosy. Chuck improved by leaps and bounds musically, production-wise, and in choice of bandmates between there and the end of Death's career though, so YMMV on the early work.

d66427sp88c.jpgd6642808gfk.jpg

Talking Heads-More Songs About Buildings and Food

Talking Heads-Fear of Music

Went CD shopping again the other day.

hatesphere_the_sickness_within.jpg

Hatesphere - The Sickness Within

You know, this is one band that's been on my MySpace friends list for at least 6 months now. They added me, I dug what I heard, and I accepted. I'm glad I did, because now I know just how well these guys thrash out. If you're a fan of Exodus' last two albums, Rage, Kreator, and The Haunted's rEVOLVEr, then this band is something you gotta hear. Just thrash, thrash, thrash. Not thrash in the sense of DRI or Municipal Waste, but thrash in the metal sense. It's good fun, though ultimately forgettable, but it's a fun and heavy ride.

NO IMAGE AVAILABLE

Ms. Fits - Hate is Your Mistress

A Misfits tribute band. All-female Misfits tribute band. I had to get it not only because of my love for the 'Fits, but because my girlfriend told me I should get this over Darkest Hour's anthology of demo's from when they were on A-F Records. It's alright, and the covers of "Skulls" and "Green Hell" are quality (the "Skulls" cover is, I'd say, just slightly below the original), but...no. Not recommended if you're not a diehard Fiend, and only slightly recommended even if you are. The chicks aren't awful looking, but the pictures are all black & white, so it's hard to tell if they're actually attractive or if it's just the punk look that I dig.

B000002LPW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle

I'd heard three Mr. Bungle tracks before purchasing this album. Two of them I heard years ago (one was a live Slayer medley, and one was a song where Patton kept yelling "FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD" towards the end of it), and another was just something played over the summer in my friend Anthony's car on our way back from the beach. I dug it the third time, and so when I saw this I had to pick it up to see what the fuss was about. This just may be one of the creepiest albums I've ever, EVER listened to. Carnivals and circuses themselves creep me out beyond belief due to a fear of clowns that I attained when a wee one, so the element of carnival music and clown laughter with some great musicianship really made me take notice the moment I started listening. Eons better than Faith No More, easily, and...damn, makes me really wanna seek out more Bungle albums and even some Tomahawk work.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm not sure how much you'd like Bungle's California. It's my favorite cd ever, but it's nothing like the self-titled, really.

I'll prolly pick it up anyway. I know Bungle is supposed to be this out-there, sorta "artsy" metal band that uses a lot of funk influence too, because the one song I heard in my friend's car sounds nothing like what's on the s/t. It had a lot of your standard hardcore "chugga-chugga" stuff going on with horns and shit over it. I'm interested in hearing as much Bungle as I can, because they're one of those bands that's punching me in the face in terms of "how could I go for so long without listening to them."

I prefer "California" myself. "Vanity Fair" and "The Air Conditioned Nightmare" are excellent tracks and their influence on bands like Incubus and System Of A Down really show. Really "out there" sort of group that I really dig. I like Faith No More better though.

You know...Shout at the Devil prolly has my favorite Crue tracks on it, but I don't own it. In fact, I don't own a single Crue album. Or Slayer's Show No Mercy, Divine Intervention, or Undisputed Attitude (which I only want because of "I Hate You" and the Iggy Pop pseudo-cover); Diabolous I'll get last, if ever, because of how awful every track I've heard off of it has been.

244396.jpg

Disciples of Annihilation - New York City Speedcore

I missed the little header in the band's logo that says "industrial strength." I hate industrial for the most part, liking only the occasional listen to Ministry and Atari Teenage Riot (yeah, I know, they're "digital hardcore," but it's fucking industrial), and I saw the term "speedcore" on the album, so I figured it'd be sorta thrash-y. Then I listened to it, and it's a fourth-rate Atari Teenage Riot ripoff. At least ATR sample some good riffs to put over their chaotic electric drums, these guys just...use the same beat and yell different things over it now and then. Sucks, and I'll prolly give it to my pal Petone - who loves industrial - for X-Mas or something.

cd_deicide_1155299153.jpg

Deicide - The Stench of Redemption

Fun brutality in what almost every review is calling their best album in years, and my favorite part is the generic brutal death riffs and song structures with overly-melodic, power metal-y solo's over them courtesy of ex-Iced Earth axeman Jack Owen. Decent listen, and would've been more enjoyable had the system in my workvan not sounded like complete ass.

First pay packet in new job=shopping spree!

"The Bravery" by the Bravery

"The Whitey Album" by Ciccone Youth

"This Machine Kills Fascists" (3 CD Woody Guthrie comp)

"Jarvis" by Jarvis Cocker

"Five Leaves Left" by Nick Drake

"No More Cities" by the Dears

Currently loving the Jarvis album (best work since Pulp's "A Little Soul") and Nick Drake, while I feel Ciccone Youth and the Dears will require a little more time to get into. Not that I don't like them, just not quite as immediate as the others.

Just recently I have purchased:

Aluminium - Aluminium: This is a CD of White Stripe covers but rather done by an orchestra.

Remain in Light - Talking Heads

Off the Bone - The Cramps

Broken Boy Soldiers - The Cramps

Heads Up - DFA1979

Low - Christmas

Mark Lanegan - Field Songs

The Thermals - The Body the Blood the Machine

Nina Nastasia - On Leaving

The Handsome Family - Last Days Of Wonder

Screeching Weasel - Thank You Very Little

Acid House Kings - Sing Along With Acid House Kings

The Jayhawks - Sound Of Lies

h26301rf9kc.jpgh15237jdmsg.jpg

Zombi-Surface To Air

Boyd Rice and Friends-Music, Martinis, & Misanthropy

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Hey. Go buy Electric Wizard's Dopethrone. That goes for everybody.

Zombi has a new one out? How is it?

It's pretty sweet. I actually like it better than Cosmos, and it doesn't sound as much like Tangerine Dream like that one did. I read one review that said it sounds like Rush in their prime if they did an album without guitar or vocals, and I somewhat agree. Still sounds like an italian horror soundtrack though, which is a good thing.

I'll get to buying Dopethrone someday in the future, since I'm a doom metal fan.

This week:

d12388m5x48.jpg d12459cgilp.jpg

The Nottingham Fopp had a large selection of Dylan albums for £3 each. As I'd got the obvious ones (Blonde, Freewheeling, Highway 61) I took advantage of their generosity by picking up two I hadn't got round to

d098514198j.jpg

Had an hour long drive ahead of me, so decided some classic Boss would be the perfect accompaniment for the journey. No idea why I hadn't already bought this.

h65797xtnhs.jpg

Had become obsessed with the song "Weekends And Bleak Days" over the weekend, so decided to risk it, and was rewarded by a cracking collection of pop songs, "Loughborough Suicide" being the highlight

d664297lpg3.jpgd6643137517.jpg

Talking Heads-Remain in the Light

Talking Heads-Speaking in Tongues