TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Rhett Miller - The Believer

I love Rhett, and this CD affirmed it. He goes the full range, from bubblegummy pop in "I'm With Her" to a really, really great duet with Rachel Yamagata entitled "Fireflies," a fantastic title track, and a remixed version of "Question," which just happens to be one of my favorite songs.

i24290nckky.jpg

Foetus-Love

Foetus-Damp (Can't find an image of this one)

Update: Eh, Paypal is kind of fucking up, and apparently, I need a credit card to get Damp, so I'm only getting Love.

I fucking bought Billy Ocean's Greatest Hits.

No more looooooove on the runnnnnn.

fuck yeah. i loved that album when i was a kid. billy ocean was equally awesome with syrupy ballads and dancy numbers.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Last night, I checked out some Modern Lovers, Gang of Four, and Wire. s/t, Entertainment, Chairs Missing. Instantly enjoyed the first, the second is growing on me bit by bit but I'm starting to really like it, third is still coming along but maybe I'm just too oversaturated with post-punk at the moment to give it its due.

POSTED FROM ELSEWHERE:

Back from my trip. Purchased lots:

vinyl (both sealed)

f97677xinzr.jpgh19576gjtm0.jpg

(l-r)

Kitchens of Distinction - Love is Hell

Love - s/t

compact discs

g90368xbhar.jpgi36583ipzkd.jpgi41853p0pkv.jpg

h32483ribak.jpge958107zjgw.jpgf15537oa4ma.jpg

g26411fzop0.jpg

(row 1 l-r)

Can - Soon Over Babaluma (recent remastered version)

Deerhunter - Cryptograms

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone

(row 2 l-r)

The Husbands - There's Nothing I'd Like More Than to See You Dead

Smog - Rain on Lens

Songs: Ohia - Didn't it Rain

(row 3)

The Sultans - Shipwrecked

Speaking of the Modern Lovers, this record store I visited while I was away had the debut on vinyl. I would've picked it up, but was surprised to learn that only nine of the 12 songs I'm familiar with—thanks to my long ago pirated copy—were on the original release. I didn't know that. Anyway, I passed, but it's still a pretty great album.

received as birthday presents last week:

sam cooke - ain't that good news

bruce springsteen - darkness on the edge of town

billy joel - the stranger

billy occean - suddenly. containing the original 7:52 version of "caribbean queen"!

james carr - the complete goldwax singles

otis redding - live at the whisky a go-go

righteous brothers - greatest hits

george michael - faith

Stuff I've bought over the last week or so:

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

Elvis Costello - Goodbye Cruel World

Bob Dylan - Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Fripp and Eno - Evening Star

Robert Fripp - Exposure

Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds

Roxy Music - Manifesto!

All on vinyl.

Foetus-Damp (got it off his official website)

Jesu-Silver

I just grabbed Lou Barlow's solo album, EMOH this morning. Having only heard a couple of songs before (Legendary and If I Could), I look forward to the rest.

Bought the new Arcade Fire. Would have got the limited edition version bought the odd square shape of the packaging would not have fit the rest of my collection. Also was $10 cheaper

I got it last night via Rapidshare. It's only so-so, IMO. The song "Ocean of Noise" is pretty mediocre.

Bought it as well. Like it so far, though it's not as immediately arresting as Funeral. There's a lot more going on here, though--probably will take a while to digest.

people still like the arcade fire?

I do!

Guest Banky Edwards
Bought it as well. Like it so far, though it's not as immediately arresting as Funeral. There's a lot more going on here, though--probably will take a while to digest.

Really? I don't think so. By and large, there's less. Fewer instruments in songs, no suite like The Neighborhoods, and less memorable hooks. There are a lot more lyrics, maybe, if only because of "Antichrist Television Blues" just going on forever, it seems. Love the church organ, but compared to Funeral, there's really not a whole lot going on. Too much acoustic guitar.

EDIT: Eight-point-four, Pitchfork? Who you crappin'?

i hate to jump on the bandwagon. but i was a funeral supporter. but had this band not gotten ridiculous pub, and had the world tell them they were great, this album would be forgotten. its a middle of nowhere innocuous collection of nothing songs. i wasn't drawn in by the lyrical aspects of funeral. or the tortured and grieving mourners shit, but there were some serious foot stompers. there was some passion. now, they're reduced to these overproduced monotonous songs that illicit nothing more than indifference. how can someone who has been put to sleep expect to care about anything that is supposedly going on under the layers of this tripe. this band is too earnest, which is sorta funny considering they're supposed to be the leaders of this montreal scene which is totally fun & experimental & quirky. wait for the double album in two years, folks.

Guest Eagle Man

That was very well put. Monotonous indeed. Everything between "Ocean of Noise" and "No Cars Go" is just there. Fourteen minutes of nothing.