TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Why did you pick up those two before Highway 61 Revisited?

I'm really not sure. I'm a big fan of mid 70s Dylan but I'm still kind of befuddled as to why I did that. Hopefully I can rectify the situation this weekend. I must say I do like Street Legal. Hard Rain not so much but it was only $8

Forgot to mention I picked up this on ITunes last Friday;

springsteen_nebraska1982_cover.jpg

Damn fine album. I'm loving "Johnny 99" and "Atlantic City". I think The River is next on my list of Springsteen albums to get.

Damn fine album. I'm loving "Johnny 99" and "Atlantic City". I think The River is next on my list of Springsteen albums to get.

What are the other albums of his that you have?

What are the other albums of his that you have?

Debut, Born To Run, Darkness on The Edge of Town, Nebraska, Born In The U.S.A. and Tunnel of Love plus Live from The Hammersmith Odeon '75 and The 3 disc Essential.

136.jpg

Evile - Enter the Grave

If you're a fan of the "Big 5" of US thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, and Exodus), and of classic Euro thrash like Destruction, Sodom, and Kreator, then EVILE is the band for you. This British quartet fire on all cylinders to bring back the Bay Area sound, and have enough of the crunch and precision of the Euro thrash acts to satisfy fans of both styles (it still strikes me as odd that the same style of music played on different sides of the pond can sound so different, but it does). Never a dull moment if you love thrash metal, and that's really the only way you cannot love this album: if you're not into thrash. Along with Municipal Waste, Evile is one of those bands that heralds thrash's return as a force to be reckoned with. A satisfactory album indeed.

447_1349.jpg

Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition

Agent, you're right. This is a fine piece of brutality right here. It doesn't have the kick in the balls that Stop at Nothing had with that one breakout song (Stop's case being "One Shot, One Kill," which I think may be my favorite non-Corpse death metal tune), but it's overall better. Dark, sludgy, and technical at all the right moments. I've grown to love John Gallagher's backing vocals, the more burp-y growls, thanks to repeated listens.

335943.jpg

It's too bad about her life, because this is actually a really good album.

I've always held the opinion that each of her albums is better than the last, not the least reason for which is that she became progressively more dance and less pop (which better suits her fairly thin voice). This trend has continued, but I'm not sure I like this better than In the Zone. I mean, that had the Ying Yang Twins on it. Probably In the Zone had better singles, but this is better as a whole album. It's very listenable from start to finish.

Guest step up, ghetto blaster.

i77642j60hw.jpgi92746n8981.jpg

Desire may be a contender for my album of the year, but I'm not sure how I feel about the last third of it just yet.

Exodus-ExhibitA.jpg

Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A

Where Shovel Headed Kill Machine left off, Exhibit A picks up. If there was ever a question that old-school thrash bands just didn't have it in them anymore - Slayer slowing down significantly, Metallica being awful since 1989, Megadeth showing only slight signs of a return to Rust... form, S.O.D. disbanding for the "final" time - then Exodus is here to punch that notion square in the jaw. I know this reads like a horrible album review...and it is...but if you're a fan of thrash metal, or even just metal, or even remotely heavy music at all, do yourself a favor and pick this up. Gary Holt is a pleasure to listen to on the guitar, Rob Duke's vocals improve over his debut on Shovel..., and Tom Hunting's drumming is spot-on. Also, there's "banned" artwork on the inside cover, with the image being similar to the beast from Pan's Labyrinth has eyes in its hands than the cover that made it to stores, so that's a treat.

6482_216.jpg

Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise

The second album from these masters of death/grind sounds just like it: a band still stretching their wings, still experimenting with their own sound to make it as unique to them as possible. What follows is 9 tracks of unrelenting brutality, with plenty of amusing samples at the beginning of each song to both help distinguish them and remind the listener that even the heaviest of metal has to have a sense of humor. It's this last fact that is addressed via the songs "Tug of War Intestines," "Merrie Melody," and "Pool of Stool." The band asks its fans to always have a sense of humor, and in turn they reward them with wonderfully chaotic death.

778.jpg

Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back to Life

The band's first LP. And it shows. Not quite to the days of blistering technical precision that Tomb of the Mutilated ushered in, but long before the act began to wear thin by Gallery of Suicide (fuck anybody that doesn't love Vile), this album serves as a link to what late 80's death metal was, especially in the US: heavier than thrash, with times both just as fast and much slower, and an overall atmosphere of gritty violence, much like the 70's exploitation horror films that gave Corpse much of their lyrical motivation. And the best part? Chris Barnes' burp-growl was still fairly decent, though not to the calibre that it actually was at its peak (The Bleeding). With classics like "A Skull Full of Maggots" and "Born in a Casket," this album serves as a vivid reminder of where death metal came from and what it once was: unrelenting sonic ferociousness that used technical ability only when it required it, throwing melody out of the window to offer a (once) truly unique sound.

j01892t69vp.jpgi77860lpkji.jpgd66427sp88c.jpg

d664297lpg3.jpgg44183gux2w.jpgf76098hnq8g.jpg

Once Upon a Time in the West - Hard-Fi

Version - Mark Ronson

More Songs About Buildings and Food - Talking Heads

Remain in Light - Talking Heads

The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads - Talking Heads

Popular Favorites 1976-1992: Sand in the Vaseline - Talking Heads

c706312ed1o.jpg

I've been meaning to get this forever.

g45389hxe89.jpg

Why did you pick up those two before Highway 61 Revisited?

I'm really not sure. I'm a big fan of mid 70s Dylan but I'm still kind of befuddled as to why I did that. Hopefully I can rectify the situation this weekend. I must say I do like Street Legal. Hard Rain not so much but it was only $8

alb1152.jpg Three months later, I finally rectified the situation. Incidentally, it was still on sale for $9.

Also some of Springsteen's catalogue was on sale for $9 so I picked up

51M0W0W79GL._AA240_.jpg I have this on vinyl but since I rarely bust out the ol' record player. I bought it on CD

41EHGQK4VAL._AA240_.jpg

22976.jpg

White Zombie - Make Them Die Slowly

WZ's third LP, and their last independent release before being signed to Geffen and releasing the breakthrough La Sexorcisto album. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best White Zombie album was their last, Astro-Creep, but this is a nice piece of history for one of rock's biggest stars of the last 10 years. Plenty of groove, and a little more thrash/speed metal-y than what one usually expects from White/Rob Zombie. Solid album, but not great.

Albums I bought in the last couple of months:

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

Can - Tago Mago

Can - Future Days

Can - Delay 1968

Tago Mago and Future Days were remastered upgrades of albums I already owned.

PJ Harvey - White Chalk

LCD Soundsystem - 45:33

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings & Food

Electric Six - I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master

Well the local Strawberries is going out of business on Thursday so I decided to take advantage of their everything must go sale. It really wasn't good at all. 20% for all new (not used) CDs and DVDs. That's not that good and Strawberries was always the 2nd most expensive record store behind FYE but I expected a little more since they're closing in 48 hours and still had a lot of their shit left. So I didn't quite get the loot but I did expand my Dylan collection with....

2033502-1873854343.jpg This is on the whole rather forgettable but nowhere near as terrible as the little I've heard of other Dylan stuff from the 80s. "Sweetheart Like You", "License To Kill", and "Jokerman" are all pretty good but the rest is kind of forgettable and marred by cheesy 80s production.

TimeOutOfMind72.jpg I haven't listened to this one. I don't own/haven't heard any of his latest trilogy (this one, Love and Theft, Modern Times so I figured I'd better start with this one. That and well, it was his only studio album in the used section. Couldn't beat the price at $6...

I haven't listened to this one. I don't own/haven't heard any of his latest trilogy (this one, Love and Theft, Modern Times so I figured I'd better start with this one. That and well, it was his only studio album in the used section. Couldn't beat the price at $6...

My favorite song on Time out of Mind is "Hearts in the Highlands." I think these are all great albums. I recently borrowed "Planet Waves" from the library. It's got some good stuff, I thought.

I got Sebastian Bach's new CD "Angel Down" for Christmas. It definately has the 80's feel with a modern edge. I wanted it because Axl Rose sings on it, but I was pleasantly suprised by the rest of the album.

Kamala, that's due to Strawberries being owned by FYE. Most Strawberries stores are either going to be, are being, or have been transformed into an FYE outlet. If there's an FYE and a Strawberries too close to each other, then the Strawberries is going under. They'll just move all (or maybe just most) of their leftover stock to the nearest FYE.

2197022-133104170.jpg

D.R.I. - Crossover

This album is every bit as important as the hype for it says it is. It represents a blend of hardcore punk - which DRI were before this album and the album right before it - and metal - which DRI was from this album forward until disbanding - into a style called "crossover," named as such for its seemless blend of hardcore punk and metal. DRI, SOD, and modern-day gods Municipal Waste are the best examples of this style, as are latter-album Biohazard and Ringworm. A solid album, and it sounds fresh enough today (it's about 20 years old) as it did when first released. If you listen to Municipal Waste or Send More Paramedics and then listen to DRI, you'll think that DRI is just another up-and-coming thrash band. That both says how fresh this album sounds, and how little crossover has changed since its inception. An important album, and a fun listen.

TheBlackDahliaMurder_Nocturnal.jpg

The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal

A huge improvement over Miasma, which wasn't even a bad album. Lyrically, the band has returned to their horror-influenced fare, but musically, the band has grown ever-so-slightly, and it's refreshing to hear a modern band gain popularity during the fashioncore/metalcore era and still incorporate enough pure death and black metal influences to keep it fresh and grounded in pure metal. A pleasure to listen to, if somewhat forgettable, as all Black Dahlia is. Too many songs flow together, so you have to look more at their albums than at individual songs, as Unhallowed was far more straightforward death metal than Miasma was, which represented shorter and much more furious songs. Nocturnal adds a minor element of ambience to their sound, achieved through some solid riffs that chug along for pretty long. That's not a complaint, either, as the rhythm changes enough to keep things interesting. Better than Miasma, but not as good as Unhallowed.

s1004316.jpg

Creature Feature - The Greatest Show Unearthed

Picked this up on a whim, figuring it would be horrorpunk, or maybe some odd crust/grind/thrash. It's The Nightmare Before Christmas as sung by Marilyn Manson if he were a ring announcer. That's not even an accurate description, because it's much better than that. This is perfect for a Halloween party, but it's not a bad listen. It's fun, and the song "A Gorey Demise" is a blast to listen to, listen fake and ironic obituaries from A to Z. Curtis RX's vocals are interesting, and it turns out I've had him as a MySpace friend for quite some time now. Check 'em out if you're into Wednesday 13, Zombeast, or any other modern horrorpunk/ghoul rock.

sss-shortsharpsmall.jpg

SSS - Short Sharp Shock

Self-titled LP from one of Britain's premier thrash metal bands. There was an article written once in Terrorizer magazine about the modern-day leaders of the thrash metal movement. States-side, it's Municipal Waste. Across the pond? SSS and Evile. This is straight-up crossover-style thrash, in the vein of S.O.D., later Cro-Mags, and Kill 'Em All era Metallica. Fun shit, with piss-poor vocals perfectly designed to get a crowd going. Fun stuff, though ultimately forgettable.

Engorged.jpg

Engorged = Engorged

Fun, grimey death. At times there's a nice grind influence, very reminiscent of Tomb-era Cannibal Corpse or Phobia, but at other times it's straight-forward death metal, like Deicide or later Carcass. Fun record, but brings nothing new to the table.