TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time

14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)

That's funny, because if I was to make a list of the 100 worst guitar players ever, this is about where they'd place.

:lol:

That's the funniest comment i've seen all week.

Best Kiss guitar solo's are Detroit Rock City and Love Gun

Guest mesepher
26. Head & Munky (KORN)

27. John Petrucci (DREAM THEATER)

Guffaw.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know... seems kind of accurate to me. :huh:

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, Fripp got hosed. He was writing distorted screeching kill your eardrums solos back around the summer of love. "21st Century Schizoid Man" has an AWESOME dischordant solo like that. I'm more into his stuff like "Larks Tongues in Aspic, Pt. III" where he just goes buck, seemingly haphazard, but with an incredibly intricate sense of timing. Still, I don't think King Crimson really lived up to their potential until they got Adrian Belew in the band. I don't think there's a whole lot of singers out there that are better than him.

Wait, after reading Agent's post, I'm confused... was BBB talking about Fripp's presence on the list in the first place (which I interpreted it to be) or how Fripp should have been higher (which is how Agent interpreted it)

...still though, regardless of the list, he is the man. KC is one of my fav bands, period

Guest mesepher
Wait, after reading Agent's post, I'm confused... was BBB talking about Fripp's presence on the list in the first place (which I interpreted it to be) or how Fripp should have been higher (which is how Agent interpreted it)

...still though, regardless of the list, he is the man. KC is one of my fav bands, period

every rock guitarist needs to see Fripp live before he dies (especially us aspiring guitarists).

I was talking about his spot at #75. When Adam Jones of Tool is on the list at #9 and Fripp, whose band directly influenced Jones and the rest of his fucking band is at #75, there's something wrong.

Fripp is one of my favourite guitarists, and the fact that he's so low on a list with musicians that he no doubt influenced is a fucking travesty.

And yes, you're right mesepher.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

King Crimson shows kill me. It's a SEA of 45-55 white males, 95% former hippies, all of which hold mundane office jobs and look exactly like my dad.

King Crimson shows kill me. It's a SEA of 45-55 white males, 95% former hippies, all of which hold mundane office jobs and look exactly like my dad.

Hey is it true that if you cheer infront of Robert Fripp, he'll leave the stage?

Speaking of guitarists, I've been reading up on a guy called Link Wray, who I think is European and was playing filthy guitar before anyone else, playing Elvis instrumentals and the batman theme, etc. Wondered if anyone had heard of him. Apparently he still plays at 75 years of age too. That's someone who rocks.

That's funny, because if I was to make a list of the 100 worst guitar players ever, this is about where they'd place.

Those are nice solos from two of Kiss' best songs, but there are a few other pretty great solos, most notably "Shock Me".

And hey, Paul Stanley, check a pretty cool Best guitar player list on 411mania.com to see our favorite Space Ace rank in the Top Ten! Steve Vai was #1 there. Certainly a better list than that Rolling Stone abortion.

Those are nice solos from two of Kiss' best songs, but there are a few other pretty great solos, most notably "Shock Me".

And hey, Paul Stanley, check a pretty cool Best guitar player list on 411mania.com to see our favorite Space Ace rank in the Top Ten! Steve Vai was #1 there. Certainly a better list than that Rolling Stone abortion.

I've always been a big fan of the solo in "Strutter." It's not a technically mind-blowing solo, but man it's got a groove.

I love KISS and Ace, but I wouldn't put him in the top ten like they did over at 411.

I've always been a big fan of the solo in "Strutter." It's not a technically mind-blowing solo, but man it's got a groove.

You mean the solo that Ace could never play, and that chick from the Donnas nailed in her first try in their cover?

You mean the solo that Ace could never play, and that chick from the Donnas nailed in her first try in their cover?

Yep, that'd be the one. Seriously, did Ace EVER play that solo properly live?

Hey, I love KISS as well, but Ace is definitely NOT one of the best guitarists of all-time. He's nothing more than average. His best quality was that he could put a great groove into a solo.

I agree somewhat. Certainly Ace wasn't (isn't) one of the most technically gifted guitar players, but he got the job done. And I agree that he put the groove on the solos rather than anything else. Still, his wide influence on aspiring guitarists cannot be denied. One of THE most influential ever.

Guest mesepher
As a guitarist, Ace Frehley was barely competant.  The sad thing is, he was probably the most talented member of KISS.

Derek Sherinian seems to think differently about Paul and Gene (just passing this info out, I have no opinion on the KISS guys):

Paul Stanley

KISS Revenge US tour 1992-93

Recordings: KISS - Alive 3 (Mercury 1994)

The cracked mirror Iceman is one of the coolest guitars ever! Paul is an average guitar player, but an extrordinary stage performer. I used to watch him night after night on the KISS tour being very impressed with the energy he put out every show. Woah oooooo woah oooooo woah ooooo woah ooooooooo!!!

Gene Simmons

KISS Revenge US tour 1993

KISS Alive 3 (Mercury 1994)

Ramones Tribute CD (2003)

I think that Gene is a great rock bassist. The cool thing about Gene and Paul, is that they do not warm up one bit on their voice, or their instruments, they just hit the stage and rock.

I got to work with KISS again in 2002 for the Ramones tribute CD on the song "Rock and Roll Radio." Gene is a comedian and I find him hilarious.

His work ethic is paralleled by nobody. It gives me great validation to work with KISS because they are one of the biggest rock bands of our time.

he makes some interesting comments about all of the musicians he has jammed and recored with over the years at his site: http://www.dereksherinian.com/bio-arthist_guit.html

Guest mesepher
Paul has an amazing voice, especially in Phantom of the Opera

excellent sig, by the way... ever check out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones? or just Wooten's solo material?

As a guitarist, Ace Frehley was barely competant. The sad thing is, he was probably the most talented member of KISS.

I disagree. I loved Eric Carr's playing. I think he's a far better drummer than Criss or Eric Singer, and easily KISS's most talented musician.

I disagree. I loved Eric Carr's playing. I think he's a far better drummer than Criss or Eric Singer, and easily KISS's most talented musician.

I was just referring to the original line-up. I don't think I've ever heard anything outside of it.

I disagree. I loved Eric Carr's playing. I think he's a far better drummer than Criss or Eric Singer, and easily KISS's most talented musician

Eric Carr was a monster on drums. I agree he was way better than Peter and slightly above Singer. Too bad his songwriting skills never came to full fruition with Kiss. He was a very decent singer, too.

As far as Ace Frehley goes, I believe his main problem was that sometime in the early 80s his playing skills really became stagnant, as it seemed he was just content with going through the motions. And he was talented as a songwriter, too, as "Cold Gin", "Parasite", "Shock Me", among others, prove.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I met Victor Wooten once. Short little pudgy guy. Bela Fleck stopped at the college I was attending, and a couple friends dragged me to the show with just the premise that they had a "really good" (as they put it) bass player, and ho-lee shit... Every single person in that band is just as good, too, even if it's music that I don't usually sit around and listen to. I'd never even heard of them before that, and was expecting some kind of meandering hippy shit, (since they were meandering hippies that I went with and all.)

Anyway, myself and another gaggle of longhairs went back by the bus after the show and met everyone. Real personable folks, especially this indian fellow who was playing Sitar and various eastern percussion, and was obviously tripping nuts, or else transcendent.

Finally a god damn true KISS discussion.

Eric Carr was one of my favorite members of KISS, Singer helped KISS during the Revenge era though, the sound, etc..

Ace always put a groove, but he's no Bruce Kulick.

One of my favorite KISS song guitar solos is from "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" with Vinnie Vincent on guitar.

Paul Stanley is probably the most talented member of KISS, hell he's the one who has kept it together for the last 25 years, a true rocker.

Keep em comin!

Finally a god damn true KISS discussion.

Eric Carr was one of my favorite members of KISS, Singer helped KISS during the Revenge era though, the sound, etc..

Ace always put a groove, but he's no Bruce Kulick.

One of my favorite KISS song guitar solos is from "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" with Vinnie Vincent on guitar.

Paul Stanley is probably the most talented member of KISS, hell he's the one who has kept it together for the last 25 years, a true rocker.

Keep em comin!

Yes, the solo for "All Hell's Breaking Loose" is pretty terrific. Vinnie Vincent was a very gifted guitarist and composer. Check out both Vinnie Vincent Invasion albums for some extremely cool guitar solos and some pretty good songs. Too bad everything seemed to go over his head. Ever heard his guitar solo version for "Calling Dr. Love?" Waaay overdone, IMO. Seems like he wanted too badly to be a guitar hero. That quasy-guitar-solo on "Lick It Up" must have pissed him off.

Bruce Kulik was pretty good, too. But he really came into his own on the Revenge album. My least favorite work of his has got to be the Crazy Nights album. And for some strange reason I really really like his solos from "Tears Are Falling" and "Uh! All NIght". Simple, yet effective.

Paul Stanley is Kiss. Kiss is Paul Stanley. That about sums it up.