TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The One & Only Benoit Road to Championship Threa

Guest SammeC

Maybe also to build up to the confrontation between the two GMs in order to trade Goldberg for Benoit

Maybe also to build up to the confrontation between the two GMs in order to trade Goldberg for Benoit

That confrontation couldn't have shit to do with the trade.......unless they were fighting over the fact that Heyman put Benoit in the 1st spot when Bisch wanted to put Goldberg there. And please use periods, dude.

Guest SammeC

Yes, but Heyman wants to get rid of Benoit and Bisc to get rid of GB. tis way they both get what they want, and also avoid Stone Colds 'law'

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
PS. Dean Malenko is still better than Benoit.

Not.

Just because Malenko was the person who first used the Crossface doesn't make him better.

This is WM 20 in Madison Fucking Square Garden with TWO world title matches, one title is at least changing hands whether its the WWE Championship or the Crackerjack Box Title.

Guest Choken One

Not.

Just because Malenko was the person who first used the Crossface doesn't make him better.

Eddy Guerrero > Benoit > Melenko

Has Conan O'Brian ever done the "If They Made It" pic for HHH & Steffi?

How ugly would the kid be :D

Not as Ugly as Benoit and Nancy's Kids will be.

Didn't they have a kid together a year or two ago?

Anyway, this was nice news to come home from work to. I still don't think they'll actually go ahead and give Benoit one of the titles but against either HHH or Lesnar, the match should be very good.

If he actually wins, it'll be a bonus surprise for me. And a deserved reward for ,as far as I'm concerned, the man who's put on the highest quality of work and consistancy in my 19 years of watching.

Blech. Save for a fleeting moment of greatness when he and RVD were waging war in that ladder match on Raw, Eddie's last singles match of worth was arguably almost seven years ago with Misterio.

Benoit, on the other hand, seems to be kicking it back up a notch and he also has a slight advantage of not being saddled with a woefully-stereotypical-yet-instantaneously-quotable midcard gimmick.

Benoit > Latino Heat

That being said, if Benoit won the World Title and Guerrero got serious enough (a.k.a dropping the silly-but-fun gimmick and reverting to his rudo ways) to be the No. 1 contender, I would mark out and scream like a little baby girl.

Guest wildpegasus

Not.

I believe the guy was just joking around.

* WP -- forever a Malenko mark*

Guest wildpegasus

You know what I miss? Back in 95 Malenko was showing demonstrations of his holds and explaining what area of the body they put pressure on. I remember him showing a UFC leglock and the Texas Clover Leaf. The WWE is probably too scared to do something like that today but man it would rule if they did.

Wrestlemania XX MSG ought to be a good crowd but my question is this:

How much of the audience is going to be the normal MSG audience? Did many people from other places manage to get tickets? Benoit and ANgle were over in MSG for the triple threat tag at Survivor Series and Benoit was over at the last house show when he wrestled the Big Show. I want a hardcore MSG audience for Benoit!

Is he over? Yes. So is Angle, Cena and Eddy...and Rikishi. (chew on that one)

Chew on what? That Rikishi is over as a low card cheap pop guy, but whose heat would dry up if given a ME push (see also Bradshaw or Holly, Bob)?

Maybe this was the reason for the Bischoff/Heyman confrontation at the Rumble? Otherwise I can't understand why the hell it even happened.

Easy answer: to give Austin something to do.

Back on topic: I hate this bittersweet feeling, knowing that Benoit will be fed to HHH and his bid for legitimacy (not to mention Benoit having to make Evolution "look good" for the next six months) and Lesnar will have to sully himself by facing F.G.B.

On the other hand, that little glimmer of hope of both Benoit and Lesnar going buck-wild on their respective opponents makes me want to believe there is a Santa Claus, if only for a brief moment.

Sigh. Maybe HHH and Goldberg will injure themselves between now and WMXX. I'd love to see the damage control in that situation. Maybe Vince would finally pull the trigger on Benoit and Lesnar for the title.

Incidentally, did anyone catch that "Cock Molester" sign last night? Priceless!

Yes, because Benoit voluntarily jumped ship to wwe long before it was bought out. I also don't feel the anti-wcw argument holds much water anymore, because Vince gave Goldberg the title and Goldberg is definately more wcw than Benoit.

Guest PowerPB13

Can we just close the thread now, seeing as how nothing that could possibly happen will be satisfactory from this point on?

I'm of the opinion that Benoit could make Lesnar and Triple H both tap out within five minutes of each other to close out Wrestlemania and it still wouldn't be good enough for some people.

(Okay, MAYBE if he snapped Triple H's neck and paralyzed him for life, it'd bring about some rejoicing...)

-Patrick

Is he over? Yes. So is Angle, Cena and Eddy...and Rikishi. (chew on that one)

Chew on what? That Rikishi is over as a low card cheap pop guy, but whose heat would dry up if given a ME push (see also Bradshaw or Holly, Bob)?

See also Rikishi's main event push in late 2000 when he was revealed as the driver of the Austin-wrecker.

He got no heat.

Jason

Blech. Save for a fleeting moment of greatness when he and RVD were waging war in that ladder match on Raw, Eddie's last singles match of worth was arguably almost seven years ago with Misterio.

Whoa, slow down there. His days with the Smackdown 6 produced some great singles matches. His one with Edge at Unforgiven '02 was great, no way around it.

Blech.  Save for a fleeting moment of greatness when he and RVD were waging war in that ladder match on Raw, Eddie's last singles match of worth was arguably almost seven years ago with Misterio. 

Whoa, slow down there. His days with the Smackdown 6 produced some great singles matches. His one with Edge at Unforgiven '02 was great, no way around it.

Eh. The Smackdown match with Edge was pretty much a garbage match.

Example

Jeff Hardy hasn't had a great match in the WWE. But what about the TLC matches? Those, like Eddy/Edge, is an unecessary garbage match that gives fans a short fix while shortening the wrestler's careers. Look at what happened to Edge soon afterwards.

I think everyone is forgetting that this is still the WWE. Personally I wouldn't be shocked at all if Benoit would lose his WM title shot as a result of losing some match between now and then, either on Raw or SD. Maybe he moves to Raw and HBK challenges him to a career vs. title shot match in a month or so.

It can happen.

Benoit, on the other hand, seems to be kicking it back up a notch and he also has a slight advantage of not being saddled with a woefully-stereotypical-yet-instantaneously-quotable midcard gimmick.

Benoit > Latino Heat

That being said, if Benoit won the World Title and Guerrero got serious enough (a.k.a dropping the silly-but-fun gimmick and reverting to his rudo ways) to be the No. 1 contender, I would mark out and scream like a little baby girl.

I just actually re-read this all.

Benoit hasn't done anything worth a damn for years either. So I wouldn't necessarily get all giddy and proclaim Benoit the God of the world.

I deduce Eddie's sudden fall from grace as trying to conform with the WWE style while being given substandard opponents. He was close to amazing while on RAW in 2002, darn good at the end of 2002 on Smackdown, and inexplicatly subpar as soon as he turned heel. He had alright matches with WGTT, Tajiri, and even Benoit in 2003, but nothign that like he had in years prior. But either has Benoit.

In short, the WWE does not allow good wrestling, just Triple H blood and punch matches.

Guest Ghettoman

Has there been three "great" matches by that standard in the WWE in say the last 3 years?

Blech.  Save for a fleeting moment of greatness when he and RVD were waging war in that ladder match on Raw, Eddie's last singles match of worth was arguably almost seven years ago with Misterio. 

Eh. The Smackdown match with Edge was pretty much a garbage match.

Example

Jeff Hardy hasn't had a great match in the WWE. But what about the TLC matches? Those, like Eddy/Edge, is an unecessary garbage match that gives fans a short fix while shortening the wrestler's careers. Look at what happened to Edge soon afterwards.

But I wasn't even talking about the no-DQ match. I was talking about the one at Unforgiven where Eddie won with the sunset flip powerbomb. No garbage, no gimmicks, just a straight up match.

Eddie had a really great match at Armageddon 02' w/ Benoit. So there are still "great" matches, but they are in the undercard.