TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Alice In Chains Greatest Hits Compilation

ALICE IN CHAINS' impressive legacy will be celebrated on a two-disc retrospective, "The Essential", due March 16 from Columbia/Legacy, according to Billboard.com. The 29-track album features familiar songs such as "Them Bones", "Rooster", "No Excuses", "Heaven Beside You", "Would?" and "I Stay Away", plus two contributions to the 1993 "Last Action Hero" soundtrack ("What the Hell Have I", "A Little Bitter") that have been remixed by producer Toby Wright. Also included are two cuts from the group's 1996 "Unplugged" release and the 1999 boxed set "Music Bank".

"The Essential" track listing:

Disc One:

01. We Die Young

02. Man in the Box

03. Bleed the Freak

04. Love, Hate, Love

05. Am I Inside

06. Brother

07. Got Me Wrong

08. Right Turn

09. Rain When I Die

10. Them Bones

11. Angry Chair

12. Dam That River

13. Dirt

14. God Smack

15. Hate To Feel

16. Rooster

Disc Two:

01. No Excuses

02. I Stay Away

03. What the Hell Have I (remix)

04. A Little Bitter (remix)

05. Grind

06. Heaven Beside You

07. Again

08. Shame in You

09. Over Now (unplugged)

10. Nutshell (unplugged)

11. Get Born Again

12. Died

13. Would?

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I'll be buying it just because i have all of their other CD's.

And now they have more Greatest Hits collections than they have complete albums.

see the thing is

Alice in Chains has so many great songs, thats its near impossible to fit on one CD, or even a greatest hits CD

And now they have more Greatest Hits collections than they have complete albums.

see the thing is

Alice in Chains has so many great songs, thats its near impossible to fit on one CD, or even a greatest hits CD

Look, I love Alice in Chains. They're probably one of my top ten favorite bands of all time and it would be clobberin' time for anybody who dared stand between me and this two disc collection...

...if it hadn't already been released twice before.

Most of the really good songs from The Essential were already present on Nothing Safe: The Best of the Box...which was already culled from Music Bank. You tack on the Live and Unplugged albums and we're talking 5-6 different re-releases of one song (in this case, I'll say "Rooster") from a band that lasted all of maybe five years.

Am I happy that they finally got around to including the exclusive songs from both Last Action Hero and Music Bank? Sure. Do I agree with you that they could still release another set and probably still not get it right, due to the wondrous amount of material? Sure - there's still no "The Killer Is Me" (the only damn exclusive from Unplugged) or even "Sludge Factory."

But when they keep re-releasing wave after wave of new material from a band that had only three full albums, an EP, and a glorified single (Sap)...it just seems to me like they (the record companies) are trying to bleed all that they can out of Alice in Chains and Layne Staley.

There are five studio "releases" in the Alice in Chains catalog, most of which are probably residing in your local CD dealers' $3 bin. Just pick them up - you'll save money and get even more great music.

Guest JebusNassedar

You know, it's great to see a collection of all this great music. I mean, the man has had a lasting impression on music in general. In fact, I think it's about time he got this recogni-

ALICE IN CHAINS' impressive legacy will be celebrated on a two-disc retrospective,

Oooooooh. I thought it said Alice Cooper. Never mind!

Guest Choken One

Yep. And Allentown yesterday...

Maybe you can hit the Ohio shows?...Cincy is only a what 3 hour drive from Pittsburgh?

heres my AIC best of:

we die young

sea of sorrow

bleed the freak

it aint like that

dam that river

rain when i die

junkhead

rotten apple

nutshell

frogs

over now

what the hell have i

brother

burn it..live it..love it :)

Ridiculous. Alice In Chains are dead. Buried. Gone. I love the band, one of my top 3 only behind Metallica and Maiden but it's pathetic that the record companies keep releasing these greatest hits albums with nothing new on them. I have all 3 albums and both EPs, both live albums, Best Of The Box and Music Bank. And that's all you need. There's nothing on this thing (or the greatest hits they released a couple years ago) thats not already on the albums or Music Bank.

I'd reccomend to any AIC fans that are aching for some new Chains, to get Jerry Cantrell's recent album Degradation Trip (try to get the 2 disk Vol. 1 and 2 version which has more songs). It's freakin' awesome and it's basically Chains without Layne on vocals (and Jerry sounds creepily identicle to him on some songs making you swear Layne is still around recording). I can't wait for Jerry's next album whenever it comes out because this is seriously great stuff and totally satisfies the need for new AIC songs, without the ripoff of buying the same exact songs over and over again...

this makes sense...

Alice in Chains is the most influential act since Michael Jackson, imo. How many out there in top40 rock are imitating these guys all the way to the bank? The labels seem to only want to turn out AiCesque band/records...Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Shinedown, Smile Empty Soul, Godsmack, etc etc etc. Theyre not nearly as good and it is truly pathetic...but its good to see that the original/best will get some financial benefits with another comp cd.