TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Best King Crimson lineup

Best King Crimson lineup  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Best King Crimson lineup

• 1973-1975 (Fripp, Wetton, Cross, Bruford)
    • 1981-1985 (Fripp, Belew, Levin, Bruford)
    • 1994-1998 (Fripp, Belew, Levin, Gunn, Bruford, Mastolleto)
    • 1998-Present (Fripp, Belew, Gunn, Mastolleto)
    • Other (one of the various lineups from 1969-1973)

Inspired by the KC talk in the metal guitarists thread

My personal favorite era is the early 80's lineup, capped off by the amazing live album Absent Lovers, recorded on the last show of the TOAPP tour. After that would be a tie between the Wetton era and the Double Trio

Thoughts?

I dig the early 80's lineup for their live prowess as well, but so much of Crimson's great music came from that 73-75 era. Red, Starless and Bible Black, and Lark's Tongue in Aspic - all three of those albums came straight from the 73-75 group, who were basically a prog-rock/free improvisation ensemble by then.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Early eighties lineup based solely on Three of a Perfect Pair. Sure, the early seventies stuff is really good, but Belew's vocals are what really take them over the edge for me. Starless and Bible Black is probably their finest work otherwise, but I'm not very familiar with their 90's stuff.

Funny I should see this on here, as I was thinking about making an Album of Albums thread for these guys.

I can't believe I didn't hear about this until the other day (since this happened in November)

Now there's a brand new lineup to worry about, since Trey Gunn decided to leave apparently

So who's back with the band

tl_gabriel_tour.jpg

The badass of bass returns

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That guy is a progressive bass slut. I've seen him gallavanting about with all kinds of old white bands and Peter Gabriel.

That guy is a progressive bass slut. I've seen him gallavanting about with all kinds of old white bands and Peter Gabriel.

Liquid Tension Experiment = old white band?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Don't know. Never heard of them, but I could swear I see that guy lurking around whenever I see a prog rock band. Maybe he's just got one of those faces.

Don't know. Never heard of them

Well, I'll put it to you this way

Dream Theater - (Labrie + Myung) + Levin = LTE

but I could swear I see that guy lurking around whenever I see a prog rock band. Maybe he's just got one of those faces.

No, you're right, he does get around. While a good portion of his resume lies with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel, he's bassed for quite a few groups, including some of the new supergroups that have been getting together for one album deals in the last five years

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This LTE you speak of sounds interesting, since I like everyone in Dream Theater aside from Labrie. Is it twatty twiddlefest prog, or groovy-type stuff like older KC? Somewhere in between?

You can check out their two CDs here and here

I never got the second one, and I only somewhat liked the first one. Granted that was five years ago and if I broke it out again I may feel differently now.