TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jester

Austin--What Will It Take

Ok, so it seems to me Austin's job is this:

1. Ride a cool ATV down to the ring.

2. Get into the ring, blather on about other people's feuds

3. Drink beer

4. Stunner random heels and Bischoff's lackeys, or anybody not higher up the organization than him

5. Avoid being in anything vaguely resembling a wrestling match.

6. Ride the ATV out.

So my question is this--How long will it take before the fans start to turn on him? And I don't mean see him as a heel and give him good heel heat, but to just get sick of him? Will it ever happen?

We know that Austin can't wrestle a full schedule, and will probably be reserved for very simple "big" matches at events like WM. But do the marks know Austin can't wrestle? They've been told he's fired, retired, suspended, etc. so many times they can't possibly believe it. Will they eventually get sick of his schtick? Two Raws ago I thought I saw an "Austion go home" sign in the crowd. Not exactly a huge backlash. But the fans got sick of Hogan eventually, will the same happen to Austin? Or will they always love seeing the same old crap from him?

Guest Fook

They ackowledged his neck injuries in the storyline soon after WM last year.

Whether the fans remember or not is a different story.

That's probably why Austin was gone for a while after Survivor Series. They wrote him out using the elimination match so the marks would have some time to miss him.

I hope to God he goes soon. I'd rather watch a Randy Orton match than an Austin appearance, because if Orton is on (ala vs RVD or indeed for most of the Rumble) it'll be watchable, and if he's not I can laugh at him. Austin just bores me and offends me. The guy's promos are repetitive, he has consistently been involved in burying all lower-tier talent through then either being scared of him or him just Stunnering them, he Stunned Stacy Keibler for NOT DRINKING BEER when the guy was arrested for domestic abuse and banned from drinking for a year as a result...

Just fuck off. Yes, he was a good wrestler in his day, a great entertainer and the driving force of the entire WWF for a fair while. But his time is over. He needs to leave while he still has some semblance of respect left.

Guest JMA
So, they're gonna let him get stale, take him off TV, then bring him back again? Ugh.

The Shane McMahon Factor.

The guy's promos are repetitive, he has consistently been involved in burying all lower-tier talent through then either being scared of him or him just Stunnering them, he Stunned Stacy Keibler for NOT DRINKING BEER when the guy was arrested for domestic abuse and banned from drinking for a year as a result...

Considering that the writers now have complete control over a worker's promo...

Considering that Austin doesn't write or provide input to the storylines that involve him...

And considering that, for the millionth time, that he's NOT a writer...

So, they're gonna let him get stale, take him off TV, then bring him back again?  Ugh.

The Shane McMahon Factor.

Uggh. I think JMA may have hit on it perfectly here.

Hulk Hogan uses the same tactics these days.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think the fans are already getting pretty bored with him. His pops are fairly diminished.

They ackowledged his neck injuries in the storyline soon after WM last year.

Whether the fans remember or not is a different story.

I remember that. But that's part of my question. Even if the fans do remember it, they've been trained to believe "never again" is about two months, if that. So they probably fully expect him to have a match. How long before they get annoyed that he doesn't, and they realize he's just there to blab?

Since the WWE travels for their shows it's going to take a long time.

We might be sick of him already...but when they go to Detroit...they'll love it. The next week in Philly they'll love it. The next week in Toronto they'll love it. And it won't ever end.

At first I was like - 'Oh God, this is embarassing and a sad end to one of the greatest careers in wrestling'

My stance now leans towards 'You should have had the dignity to retire and leave.'

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

In answer to the actual question posed by the thread:

Other than Nazi heel turn... nothing.

Considering that the writers now have complete control over a worker's promo...

Considering that Austin doesn't write or provide input to the storylines that involve him...

And considering that, for the millionth time, that he's NOT a writer...

Oh that's bullshit. It's been reported everywhere that Austin had alot of input in this whole angle he's doing now. And as much power as Austin has do you think he doesn't have alot to say in how he's booked?

It's been reported everywhere that Austin had alot of input in this whole angle he's doing now. And as much power as Austin has do you think he doesn't have alot to say in how he's booked?

I agree. Austin must have some input, if only it's being able to nix what they give him.

Remember those reports that Austin was really happy about the angle they were going to use for his return. The SHERRIFF AUSTIN angle?!? If Austin really thought that this was good stuff, he must be as senile as Vince.

But now I'm getting off topic. Regardless of the stories he's given, he can't wrestle. Will the fans ever pick up on this and lose patience with him? BPS says it will take a long time, and I think he's right.

Guest wrestlingbs

I'd say make him go into detail about his relationship with Debra, but that would work.

I'd say make him go into detail about his relationship with Debra, but that would work.

The fans will never jeer Austin so long as Lawler and JR constantly give him verbal blowjobs for every action he takes, be it stunning Stacy or just generally holding the real talent down.

As it is right now, Austin could do a Nazi gimmick and I guarantee you most of the fans there would be doing the out-stretched arm salute and chanting "Heil Austin!" only because it's Stone Cold.

Guest Trivia247

How about to get drunk during a segment in the ring with Debra and Beat the living Shit out of her till she is crying and bloody...

then again....SOME Die Hard Austin Marks don't care about his wife beating as long he comes on their tv and entertain them.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

When he becomes gay....and I mean really gay....and not funny gay like Rico. Just plain evil gay. Who would like him then?

Oh yeah, he stops drinking beer, becomes crippled, loses his redneck accent, gets a british one, grows grey hair, and wears only a thong to the ring.

Then, he'll be hated.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

I loved Stone Cold at the height of McMahon/Austin.

Hell, I loved him when "What?" first came out.

But now, it seems very sad watching him trying to pop the crowd doing what he USED to do and knowing it will never change.

The only thing I want from Austin now is a match agsint Goldberg where Bret Hart does a run-in and fakes like he's after Austin, turns and superkicks Bill in his sloppy working head.

I would still get behind Austin vs. Hogan at Mania XX.

After that...a match with Goldberg is all there is.

It's kind of strange how it worked out with Austin's leaving the company then retiring...that he missed out on the 2 matches that were probably atop the Austin dream match list.

The sad thing is that he probably is really drunk 7 days a week. I think he proved with his arrest that he really has a problem, and being able to drink on the job isn't going to help it any. He's not going to learn until it is too late.

The sad thing is that he probably is really drunk 7 days a week. I think he proved with his arrest that he really has a problem, and being able to drink on the job isn't going to help it any. He's not going to learn until it is too late.

Yeah no kidding. I was shocked they let Austin still drink beer on screen after his arrest and banned him from drinking beer for a year. And how many times have we seen Austin drive that ATV while drinking beer and looking pretty drunk. I swear one day he's going to come to the ring driving the ATV drunk out of his mind and end of running over and hurting someone badly.

Also, on Off The Record a few weeks ago Coach was asking Austin does he drink beer while he's hunting and Austin said no. Somehow I have feeling that Austin gets loaded with his friends while hunting. Austin and friends with loaded guns drunk out of his mind, that should be fun.

Since the WWE travels for their shows it's going to take a long time.

We might be sick of him already...but when they go to Detroit...they'll love it.  The next week in Philly they'll love it.  The next week in Toronto they'll love it.  And it won't ever end.

Agreed.

The only way to get people to hate Austin in Detroit is to have him come out to the ring wearing an Avs jersey. :P

As it is right now, Austin could do a Nazi gimmick and I guarantee you most of the fans there would be doing the out-stretched arm salute and chanting "Heil Austin!" only because it's Stone Cold.

And you know JR would be supporting Stone Cold all the while.

JR: BY GAWD you can't blame Stone Cold for being a Nazi besides those damn dirty Jews had it coming that's just the way Stone Cold is. STONE COLD STONE COLD.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

Ironic how Austin didn't want to work with Hall because he was afraid of getting hurt in the ring.

Maybe he can work with him now putting Miller Lite out of business.

I still say that they should just have Bichoff wanting to make Raw the very best show for wrestling and entertainment, using both heels and faces of top caliber. The fans start getting all into it, really like the "new" Raw where you can see great matches and promos but then...Austin comes in, throws in the Dudleys and all the other pieces of shit and really pisses the fans off. Slowly but surely they can do this, where Bichoff continues to take a backseat to the action where Austin is always there getting his nose in things that the fans are liking. Then sooner or later, Linda McMahon can step in...boot Austin out and Raw will be awesome and Stone Cold will be gone.

I still say that they should just have Bichoff wanting to make Raw the very best show for wrestling and entertainment, using both heels and faces of top caliber. The fans start getting all into it, really like the "new" Raw where you can see great matches and promos but then...Austin comes in, throws in the Dudleys and all the other pieces of shit and really pisses the fans off. Slowly but surely they can do this, where Bichoff continues to take a backseat to the action where Austin is always there getting his nose in things that the fans are liking. Then sooner or later, Linda McMahon can step in...boot Austin out and Raw will be awesome and Stone Cold will be gone.

Would work for me. Bischoff isn't exactly a full heel. Yes, he's incredibly vindictive if someone pisses him off, but he can be just as bad to heels as faces (Coach vs Goldberg, for example). Generally (and I say generally) Bischoff's character goes for good matches that help Raw (ok, ok - matches that the character *believes* would help Raw. Otherwise it would just be Jericho vs Matt Hardy each week), or if he does book it badly it's because someone's annoyed him. Faces don't tend to get short shrift just through being faces. Austin, on the other hand, complains loudly about anyone "flapping their gums" and does his best to make their lives a misery.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Even though I'm not a Austin hater, I think the best way is to just make him incredibly boring. Or wrestle matches with 15 minute chinlocks.

At least when Hogan comes back he wrestles occasionally. Austin should just be a backstage consultant with writing or whatever, since he's obviously Jim Ross' best friend and has some pull backstage.