TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
converge241

Brian Urlacher

courtesy of fanball.com

So much for Brian Urlacher’s wrestling career. The Bears’ Pro Bowl linebacker made a cameo appearance on Wednesday’s NWA-TNA pay-per-view event, throwing Jonny “The Worm” Fairplay out of the ring, but the team is banning him from such activities in the future. ''Contractually, he can't get himself in those types of situations,'' general manager Jerry Angelo told the Chicago Sun-Times. ''That's not something we're going to condone. We're not going to make a big deal out of it.”

OUR VIEW

Professional wrestling has many fans among athletes in all professional sports and the various wrestling organizations have always made an effort to involve big name sports stars. Guys like Kevin Greene, John Randle, William Perry, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Dennis Rodman, and Karl Malone, to name a few, have appeared in WCW or WWE rings over the years. Given the size of contracts and the number of players getting hurt off the field while playing basketball, riding motorcycles, skiing, or engaging in other potentially dangerous activities, teams aren’t going to let it slide as much as they used to. Urlacher and others will have to settle for watching “sports entertainment” rather than climbing through the ropes to be a part of it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

...and no one could give a shit. I don't follow the Bears so I don't even know who the fuck the guy is.

Guest Dynamite Kido
OUR VIEW

Professional wrestling has many fans among athletes in all professional sports and the various wrestling organizations have always made an effort to involve big name sports stars. Guys like Kevin Greene, John Randle, William Perry, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Dennis Rodman, and Karl Malone, to name a few, have appeared in WCW or WWE rings over the years. Given the size of contracts and the number of players getting hurt off the field while playing basketball, riding motorcycles, skiing, or engaging in other potentially dangerous activities, teams aren’t going to let it slide as much as they used to. Urlacher and others will have to settle for watching “sports entertainment” rather than climbing through the ropes to be a part of it.

I never remembered John Randle to wrestle.....EVER?

Guest Jimbo

Randle never wrestled, but people made a big deal about his wrestler-like behavior out on the field. He'd basically cover his entire face with black paint, was all ways shouting and talking trash, and, whether intentionally or not, a big deal was always made about him because he would wear the original black "Austin 3:16" shirt.

Guest Jimbo

No, not the t-shirt, they whined about his face paint. He was fined $15,000 for covering his whole face in the black stuff. He stopped, but I never understood the problem...

I suppose I didn't make it clear, but it was the MEDIA that made the big deal about the shirt in their pre-grame stuff. The NFL never had an actual problem with the t-shirt, just people would highlight it with the paint as part of this 'monster' image he was promoting.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

TNA can have a legends battle royale....with Athletes from NBA/NFL/whatever that have wrestled in WWE/WCW! Come on, imagine the hype!

William Perry! Karl Malone! Dennis Rodman! Lawrence Taylor! Bill Fralic! Hermie Sadler! And the greatest of all time, the BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET! MIKE TYSON!

Here's an update from Jason Powell of the Pro Wrestling Torch (www.pwtorch.com) with quotes from Urlacher:

"Meanwhile, Urlacher defended his participation. "I know a lot about wrestling, and it's a whole different thing than what we do in football,'' Urlacher said. "So I'm going to do what they tell me to do, try not to get anyone hurt or get myself hurt, and have a good time... 'I don't think there is (anything in the contract that forbids him from wrestling). 'I'm not doing anything that can get myself hurt, so they're probably not going to be too mad.''

Former Bear Jimbo Covert, who took part in the WrestleMania II battle royal at the same time he was under contract to the Bears, down played the possibility of suffering an injury in a wrestling ring. "There was no way you could get hurt,'' Covert said. ''It was so well-rehearsed, and there were mats everywhere. The agreement was I had to be out in the first five minutes. It ended up being like 25 seconds.''

No, not the t-shirt, they whined about his face paint. He was fined $15,000 for covering his whole face in the black stuff. He stopped, but I never understood the problem...

I suppose I didn't make it clear, but it was the MEDIA that made the big deal about the shirt in their pre-grame stuff. The NFL never had an actual problem with the t-shirt, just people would highlight it with the paint as part of this 'monster' image he was promoting.

That's what endeared him to me

I still have my #93 Randle jersey, albeit not in the best condition

...and no one could give a shit. I don't follow the Bears so I don't even know who the fuck the guy is.

He's their starting middle linebacker, and 1 of the best defensive players in the league. It's understandable that the Bears would try to stop him from participating in wrestling. If he lands wrong, or if somebody falls into him, he could easily blow out a knee, hurting the team (which is paying him big $$$).

It's fairly common that teams bar their top players from participating in "risky" activities, i.e motorcycles, jet skiing, etc.

It was just funny to hear the idiots on Around the Horn talk about the thing. One guy said it was fine because Urlacher couldn't get hurt - wrestling was fake, and they used collapsable chairs and blood packets.