TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Looking ahead..........

OK, I know that this is a little far ahead of time, but since the result of this year's election is pretty much a foregone conclusion, who do you guys think will be the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates in 2008? For the first time in a long time, there is no apparent successor to the presidency, since Cheney is obviously not going to be the nominee in 2008. This leads credence to the belief that Rudy Giuliani or will replace Cheney on the 2004 ballot. If Giuliani was the nominee in 2008, would he have a good chance of becoming president? Truthfully, I don't even know if Giuliani would want to be president, as I wouldn't be surpised if he would rather run for mayor of New York again. Then, on the Democratic side, who could the nominee be? I know everyone is expecting Hilary to run, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not a sexist or anything, and I'm sure Hilary wants to be president, but I really don't think a woman could be president, at least not in this day and age when politics are still very male-dominated. So who are your picks?

Guest MikeSC
OK, I know that this is a little far ahead of time, but since the result of this year's election is pretty much a foregone conclusion, who do you guys think will be the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates in 2008? For the first time in a long time, there is no apparent successor to the presidency, since Cheney is obviously not going to be the nominee in 2008. This leads credence to the belief that Rudy Giuliani or will replace Cheney on the 2004 ballot. If Giuliani was the nominee in 2008, would he have a good chance of becoming president? Truthfully, I don't even know if Giuliani would want to be president, as I wouldn't be surpised if he would rather run for mayor of New York again. Then, on the Democratic side, who could the nominee be? I know everyone is expecting Hilary to run, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not a sexist or anything, and I'm sure Hilary wants to be president, but I really don't think a woman could be president, at least not in this day and age when politics are still very male-dominated. So who are your picks?

Giuliani would be a good choice, but his health MIGHT be a mild issue. Cancer is a scary thing and Americans don't want a candidate who might have serious health problems.

PERSONALLY, if I were the GOP, I'd REALLY push Rice as a Presidential candidate. She is undoubtedly brilliant, doesn't seem to engender the hatred of the left (yet), is very solid on international issues, and --- as a bonus --- would be a nightmare for the Dems to run against, as they couldn't claim she doesn't know how life is for women and minorities.

For the Dems? I have NO idea. Hillary will probably run --- but I don't think she'll win, honestly. She has every ounce of Bill's negatives and ALMOST COMPLETELY lacks his charisma. Edwards might --- but bad runs for the candidacy tend to hurt candidates long afterwards. If he DOESN'T win in SC, he might have no chance at the Presidency period.

Clark MIGHT win it -- but he is less electable than Dean ever has been. If "electability" is what killed Dean, it'll destroy Clark.

I'll pick a dark horse and say Gore will run in 2008.

-=Mike

I really don't think McCain has a chance of being the nominee. He really isn't in too good with the party establishment, and plus, Bush doesn't like him, so it's not like he's going to be out there campaigning for him (well, he might, but he probably wouldn't put a lot of effort into it). The Republican nominee will be, in all likelihood, either a member of or someone with close ties to the Bush administration.

Guest Choken One
I really don't think McCain has a chance of being the nominee. He really isn't in too good with the party establishment, and plus, Bush doesn't like him, so it's not like he's going to be out there campaigning for him (well, he might, but he probably wouldn't put a lot of effort into it). The Republican nominee will be, in all likelihood, either a member of or someone with close ties to the Bush administration.

Well He doesn't seem to be putting much effort in running this country either...so I don't see how that should stop him.

OK, I know that this is a little far ahead of time, but since the result of this year's election is pretty much a foregone conclusion

*scratches head*

:mellow:

Well, I don't want Bush to win but I know he will. He's too popular to be defeated now.

I think there's a certain intangible quality that makes a candidate "presidential" in the eyes of the nation. I can't describe it, but there are very few who actually have it. Clinton had it, Bush has it, Gore had it (in my opinion), but none of the Democratic candidates have it. Sadly, I think Dean has it more than any of his opponents (aside from the whole shouting thing, of course), and he really doesn't have a lot of it. I think Edwards has potential, though. I could see him becoming a strong Clinton-type if he chooses to run again in 2008.

Truthfully, I think the main problem with the Democrats is that they have an identity crisis. None of them are really being themselves, and it shows. Modeling themselevs after JFK, as many of them do, is not going to work. But if they insist on trying to model themselves on someone else, I would really suggest they try to model themselves after Martin Sheen's character on the West Wing. I know it sounds stupid, but that is really the picture of what people think the ideal president should be.

Guest JMA

Well, I'd like for Powell to run but that is VERY doubtful to happen. Rice would also be a good choice for the GOP, but I don't know if she could pull it off. Giuliani would probably be the best choice if the GOP wants a sure-fire victory. Then again, nominating Rice (even if they lose the election) would greatly help the GOP with minorities.

As for the Democrats... no idea. It would be interesting if both parties nominated a female candidate (such as Hillary and Rice) but I just don't see it happening. I see the Dems trying to woo either Hillary or Gore--if that fails, they'll find an unknown.

Senator McCain supports the President and has been campaigning for him for quite some time already. He has also stated numerous times that if nominated at a later date he will refuse to stand, and from everything I know of him (he lives one floor below me, and I see him at my parents' cocktail parties from time to time), I believe him.

I agree with Mike - I think Dr Rice would make a brilliant President. Again, though, she's indicated more than once that she isn't very interested, and as a candidate she would have obvious weaknesses as well as equally obvious strengths.

I hate to be the one to say this, but for all the progress we've made as a country, I still don't have any confidence that America would vote in a woman as president, let alone a BLACK woman.

I hate to be the one to say this, but for all the progress we've made as a country, I still don't have any confidence that America would vote in a woman as president, let alone a BLACK woman.

Sadly, I think Spike Lee would have a better shot than a black female.

I think Rudy has a great chance as long as he has a capable and popular Vice President candiate, perhaps McCain or someone along those lines. Watch out for Jeb Bush though, he seems like he might be a dark horse for some reason and might appear out of the traffic like GW.

As for the dems....I have no idea. Women don't even seem to like Hilary so I can't see her being the candiate although she'll be in the primaries. If one of the dems can pull the upset in November then it changes the choices here all around. I can't see Gore running since he still has no personality whatsoever. Be funny if Teddy ran for President although I doubt he would even realize he was running. He's slowly becoming the dad from The Critic.

As for the Independents....Jesse Ventura will rise from the ashes and unite the Independents under one banner and make a run. And pigs will learn to talk to spiders about the stock market.

Right now it's hard to predict any of this cause most of the time every primary comes off as a "who is that?" and a "what? him??"

Ask again in 2006.

Another problem with Dr. Rice is the democrats will claim she isn't a typical stereotyped african american and is in fact (excuse the term) an oreo. Though if there were to be a serious female candidate for the Oval office, it would be her. Bear in mind also that any potential female candidate would be placed under much more intense scrutiny than their male counterparts.

The DNC needs to stay as far away from Gore as possible, they don't need or want him to run in 2008, and that goes double for Hillary.

I'm still sticking with Edwards as the DNC nominee if 2008, but the ones for the GOP that'd I'd like to pick (McCain, Rice and Powell) are for various reasons not running or are unfeasible.