TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

Kill NHB?

What should happen to NHB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to NHB?

• Keep the folder, it's not hurting anyone and it's keeping the crap self-contained
    • Dump the folder, it's wasting bandwidth and it serves no purpose
    • Merge the folder with General Chat, or dump both folders and create a whole new one
    • Other

Guest cobainwasmurdered

the point is that people are still going to dislike each other if you get rid of HD. and if you get rid of the appointed forum for people to vent their frustrations then there's a VERY high risk flaming will spread to other folders.

Alot of people won't remember the old Smarks Ezboard at the end but I do. There was no flaming folder and by the end the WWF folder was just one huge nest of flaming and trolls.

And let's not forget the REAL original purpose of NHB. The folder was made for people who are unhappy with something in wrestling to bitch about it in there so that the WWE folder isn't crudding up anymore.

But if we get rid of NHB then all threads of that nature will be back in the WWE folder, all anti*random poster* threads will go in General Chat, and people will get banned.

It's just a bad idea all aroud to get rid of the folder. The voting in this poll even shows how divided things are. Just leave well enough alone.

There are elements of the board that need to be improved first before dealing with NHB.

There are still errors on the board, the WWE folder needs some cleaning up, etc.

Focus on those before anything else.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

The ESTABLISHMENT~!

Next Saturday I'm going to do IT

The Alwayspissedoff sucks thread

Malibu Enterprises

The Retro Thread

The SAGA~!

TSM Battle Royal

The Royal Blue

The TSM Poster Tourney

The New Me's BLog

Bankywood Industries

Stupid Johnson Moment #1

Roomies

The 2003 Smark Awards

Stupid Johnson Moment #2

SKBF's Dumb Moment #1

1 million reasons DJ Jeff Sucks

TMO'S Special Look At DDTWRESTLING (gotta pimp myself)

Most of these threads could NEVER have been posted in any folder other than NHB. To get rid of HD would be a crime. Some people may hate it but...TOUGH SHIT.

HD is where people like *me* can go to unwind and goof off, to have a good time. Getting rid of it is stupid because if we only had GC i'd always have to censor myself when someone says something stupid.

HD serves an important purpose at this board and at other boards.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
...and CWM finally decides to say something worth reading.

*bows*

I'm not really a smart guy or a particularily good poster. That being said, I know for me at least, NHB/HD has presented an oppurtunity to just let loose and induldge in some sometimes mindless and silly fun which is almost always self contained. Removing the folder in question will only cause some of this to spread to elsewhere, where serious, or at least as serious as a wrestling message board allows, discussions are taking place. Are we discussing politics or world history in the folder? No, not in the least, but it has become a community of sorts and a nice diversion for some of us. I believe that taking it away just because some people may (correctly or otherwise) consider it a shell of it's former self is amputation where some small simple remedy could possibly fix any so-called illness.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
99.9% I am fucking around here

So, basically, only about 0.1% of the time are you actually being honest about anything. The rest of the time you're just trying to manipulate people.

Thanks, I think that says it all.

Anyone who uses the word manipulation to talk about posting on an internet message board is far more whacked out than anything I've said.

Honestly.

The ESTABLISHMENT~!

Malibu Enterprises

The Retro Thread

The SAGA~!

TSM Battle Royal

The Royal Blue

The TSM Poster Tourney

The New Me's BLog

Bankywood Industries

Stupid Johnson Moment #1

Roomies

The 2003 Smark Awards

Stupid Johnson Moment #2

SKBF's Dumb Moment #1

Most of these threads could NEVER have been posted in any folder other than NHB. To get rid of HD would be a crime. Some people may hate it but...TOUGH SHIT.

HD is where people like *me* can go to unwind and goof off, to have a good time. Getting rid of it is stupid because if we only had GC i'd always have to censor myself when someone says something stupid.

You forgot the Ghettopoly thread.

Bastard.

Guest SP-1

This is

This is an

This is an internet

This is an internet message

This is an internet message board.

It's really not that important.

Whether the folder stays or goes really isn't that important.

If you don't like how some things go down at TSM, go post at places where the same people post, yet the rules are different, and allow for the kind of fun you're looking for. Yes, I think TSM is declining rapidly. So I go find my quality conversations elsewhere when I'm on here. Or I go down the hall and talk theology with the guys. Or play Mario Kart. Whichever mood strikes me.

Seriously. Go to WDI. Or UGS. Do your goofing off there. Have the fun conversations that you want to there. Let TSM crash and burn, or thrive without the NHB/HD folder. But arguing about it just doesn't make much sense. Dames, it's your board. Kill the folder or let it live and define it the way you want. But put your foot down and do something, just so threads like this don't keep getting made.

I'm not really a smart guy or a particularily good poster. That being said, I know for me at least, NHB/HD has presented an oppurtunity to just let loose and induldge in some sometimes mindless and silly fun which is almost always self contained. Removing the folder in question will only cause some of this to spread to elsewhere, where serious, or at least as serious as a wrestling message board allows, discussions are taking place. Are we discussing politics or world history in the folder? No, not in the least, but it has become a community of sorts and a nice diversion for some of us. I believe that taking it away just because some people may (correctly or otherwise) consider it a shell of it's former self is amputation where some small simple remedy could possibly fix any so-called illness.

YES. Fuck, Piss, if I ever run for office, I want you as a speechwriter because you were thinking exactly what I was and said it about 1000 times better.

Po-po, I hear you about this not really mattering in the grand scheme, and there being other places, but here's the thing. I like a lot of other folders here, and enjoy comign to them -- but not enough to keep coming if HD was gone, probably. I know that's no big loss, since I mainly lurk in les autre folders, but it's big to me.

Steve, mang, I hear you loud and clear. You're saying the silly threads could go in GC. I'm saying I don't know about that, and I think if things got too stupid, people might complain. I'm not saying General is smart; I'm saying that HD can be really, really stupid, and I just want reassurance from an authority-type figure that IF HD gets the axe, those other threads will be allowed in GC. Although, if I had my true druthers, I'd keep Hardcore around anyway, because I don't see how it hurts things all that badly.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
The ESTABLISHMENT~!

Malibu Enterprises

The Retro Thread

The SAGA~!

TSM Battle Royal

The Royal Blue

The TSM Poster Tourney

The New Me's BLog

Bankywood Industries

Stupid Johnson Moment #1

Roomies

The 2003 Smark Awards

Stupid Johnson Moment #2

SKBF's Dumb Moment #1

You forgot the Ghettopoly thread.

Bastard.

that happened during one of my stints away from the board so I didn't know if it was any good?

sorry Rant.

And let's not forget the REAL original purpose of NHB. The folder was made for people who are unhappy with something in wrestling to bitch about it in there so that the WWE folder isn't crudding up anymore.

Obviously, this has been a phenomenal success.

There are elements of the board that need to be improved first before dealing with NHB.

There are still errors on the board, the WWE folder needs some cleaning up, etc.

If you remember, my original post was actually somewhat grounded in the fact that a lot of the crap threads in NHB were taking a toll on the server, in terms of space and bandwidth. But, I'll admit, that doesn't necessarily mean that NHB will be the ultimate solution.

Other than that...

I appreciate the effort of going through and digging out the great threads from NHB, but I still believe that many of those could exist in General Chat. Am I going to go through each and every single thread and frantically search for any sign of flaming and trolling to prove myself wrong?

Er, no. Especially not on a Saturday Night, with a beer in hand.

The issue isn't that there haven't been good threads. The contention is that those good threads could have existed elsewhere (though, I admit, I can't really prove that) and that, for every good thread, there's at least ten threads that are garbage.

That, however, is a matter of opinion.

As it stands, there's no sense in arguing about it. If anybody else has an opinion on it, they'll vote and post accordingly; I, on the other hand, have said all that I need to. The post was originally meant to be a suggestion. I'm not going to type up a 50-page manifesto and storm out just because HD is allowed to exist. I just thought that could be a possible solution to some of the problems...which is why I posted it.

If the vote convinces the mods or Dames enough to do something about it, they'll do something. If not, I'm sure they'll say something. Either way, I said my two cents and people reacted, positvely and negatively, which means that it was probably good to bring it up for discussion.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Obviously, this has been a phenomenal success.

If you remember, my original post was actually somewhat grounded in the fact that a lot of the crap threads in NHB were taking a toll on the server, in terms of space and bandwidth. But, I'll admit, that doesn't necessarily mean that NHB will be the ultimate solution.

Other than that...

I appreciate the effort of going through and digging out the great threads from NHB, but I still believe that many of those could exist in General Chat. Am I going to go through each and every single thread and frantically search for any sign of flaming and trolling to prove myself wrong?

Er, no. Especially not on a Saturday Night, with a beer in hand.

The issue isn't that there haven't been good threads. The contention is that those good threads could have existed elsewhere (though, I admit, I can't really prove that) and that, for every good thread, there's at least ten threads that are garbage.

That, however, is a matter of opinion.

As it stands, there's no sense in arguing about it. If anybody else has an opinion on it, they'll vote and post accordingly; I, on the other hand, have said all that I need to. The post was originally meant to be a suggestion. I'm not going to type up a 50-page manifesto and storm out just because HD is allowed to exist. I just thought that could be a possible solution to some of the problems...which is why I posted it.

If the vote convinces the mods or Dames enough to do something about it, they'll do something. If not, I'm sure they'll say something. Either way, I said my two cents and people reacted, positvely and negatively, which means that it was probably good to bring it up for discussion.

it wasn't really any effort. I have them all saved to my computer in case of a board crash.

and since I was involved in pretty much every thread in there I can say that 90% feature intense amounts of flaming and anger that wouldn't be acceptable in any other folder.

if we're worried about taking up server space we should just do a wdi and delete all the threads that don't ever get any more posts and aren't considered classis or part of tsm lore.

if we're worried about taking up server space we should just do a wdi and delete all the threads that don't ever get any more posts and aren't considered classis or part of tsm lore.

Jesus Christ, it happened once. Get over it, people.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

i wasn't bitching

WE FUCKED UP! WE FUCKED UP! WE FUCKED UP!

Guest cobainwasmurdered

WE FUCKED UP! WE FUCKED UP! WE FUCKED UP!

yeah you guys did.

I can be smug because I was against it.

I'm in favor of getting rid of the folder.

I'm also in favor of allowing "flaming" in every folder. If you're too much of a thin-skinned ninny to look past a stranger on the internet calling you names, then fuck you, and go cry in someone else's virtual coffee.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'm also in favor of allowing "flaming" in every folder. If you're too much of a thin-skinned ninny to look past a stranger on the internet calling you names, then fuck you, and go cry in someone else's virtual coffee.

(Cries in Chave's coffee) j/k

I guess this means we will have "flame wars" in simple discussions like "Which side of the wrestling ring is soaked in more sweat"

I'm also in favor of allowing "flaming" in every folder.  If you're too much of a thin-skinned ninny to look past a stranger on the internet calling you names, then fuck you, and go cry in someone else's virtual coffee.

(Cries in Chave's coffee) j/k

You are so horrible.

I think BX raises a good point. If you allow flaming everywhere, it will get out of hand, especially in places like CE.

Why not just lessen the rules on what constitues ban-worthy flaming? Like, allow for people to toss in "you goddamned cunt" in an argument if it seems necessary, but don't allow people to start threads soley for the purpose of flaming, or to flame people in other threads without contributing to the actual conversation.

That way, if I feel like calling BX a cunt for whatever reason, I can't just go waste board space doing so. But if I can find a thread in which BX states something that I disagree with, then I can disagree with him, and in the process, call him a stupid fucking cunt. Not that I feel BX is a stupid fucking cunt, I'm just making a point.

I see what you mean Tom, but I think the potential for every other thread to deteriorate into mindless flaming is a bit strong. But if people HAVE to keep the flaming contained within something else in order to avoid being banned, then we're cooking with gas, methinks.

I didn't think disallowing flaming was about keeping feelings from being hurt. I wouldn't have thought we'd have a folder for it if it was, seeing as how it wouldn't hurt someone any less depending on what folder it was in.

Get rid of HD, it's only a breeding ground for unintelligent, self important trolls. Then again, no HD folder would allow the trolling to spread....

What in the living fuck is the big deal? All of us have been posting here for months, if not years for many of us, and it's been great. If you go pissing around changing shit around, people are going to get pissed off at change, they'll start to feel like they aren't wanted in certain ways, or something, and everything will fall apart.

Why mess wth a good thing? It isn't like whatever any of you do will magicly end all of the "fluff" threads and posts once and forever. For the most part everyone here has a good time, with some pretty cool conversation mixed in. I really don't see that big of a problem here with trolls, and when we do have a problem they are banned almost instantly.

I don't see what's wrong with NHB. The folder was made to have an "anything goes" look to it, so what's wrong with whatever the hell goes on in there as long as it's not insanly blatant racial/cultural hating? I just don't understand what the big deal is, and apparently I don't understand the purpose of NHB if you just want to dispose of it.

Guest FrigidSoul

I think the main lesson everybody has learned is; if you go complaining about the HardCore Discussion Folder then stricter rules will be enforced in other folders until you shut-up.

At least that's the impression I truly recieved.

I think BX raises a good point. If you allow flaming everywhere, it will get out of hand, especially in places like CE.

Define "out of hand." My point about flaming has *always* been that most of us are adults, and as an adult, if someone can't handle a stranger saying "fuk u ur gay and u suk," then they have some larger issues they need to address. Nowhere does anyone have the right not to be offended. That's not to say people should post for the sole purpose of offending others, but if someone gets their feelings bruised because a stranger called them a name, I really don't have any sympathy for them.

Why not just lessen the rules on what constitues ban-worthy flaming?

To my knowledge, "ban-worthy flaming" consists of most forms of bigotry, and any comment deemed wholly tasteless. THe rules are fine there, IMO, since it's possible to "flame" someone without bringing things like racism into the picture.

but don't allow people to start threads soley for the purpose of flaming

That's a good distinction, and I probably should have mentioned it. Flaming someone within a thread should be fine. Starting a thread for the express purpose of flaming someone should be considered trolling. (Keep in mind, kids, that these are all hypotheticals based on the removal of NHB/HD, which might not even happen.)

Not that I feel BX is a stupid fucking cunt, I'm just making a point.

Riiiiiiight... :P

But if people HAVE to keep the flaming contained within something else in order to avoid being banned, then we're cooking with gas, methinks.

Methinks, too. "Flaming" is very overrated as an "offense," and I've thought that way since I've been posting on messageboards.

Guest Goodear

I always felt the point of getting flaming over to another forum was to cut out people 'fighting' in the middle of a thread and pulling it totally off topic myself. Granted no one really flames each other in Hardcore Discussion either but what are you going to do?