TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

NWA Great American Bash

Does anyone know all the main event & world title match results of all the Great American Bash PPV's during the old NWA days.

Thanks in advance.

It didn't start as a PPV until 88. Prior to then, it was a summer tour through all the big NWA towns such as Atlanta, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc. The Crockett videos are simply highlights from the tour.

All of these were held in Baltimore at the Civic Center / Arena.

1988:

NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger ... the infamous Dusty finish

1989:

NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk ... a great match that was bumped off the Flair DVD in exchange for the I Quit Match

1990:

NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. Sting ... Sting's first world title

1991:

Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham (sub. for Ric Flair) ... Steel Cage Match for the vacant NWA World Title ... took place days after Flair left for the WWF and was a horrible show that featured the crowd almost rioting as they chanted "We Want Flair" throughout the card

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Just to note a few matches, the 1986 tour featured Dusty Rhodes def. Ric Flair in a Cage for the NWA Title (on WWE Bloodbaths DVD), and the 1987 tour had the first ever war Games matches and Flair vs. Jimmy Garvin in a cage I think.

Guest FrigidSoul
1989:

NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk ... a great match that was bumped off the Flair DVD in exchange for the I Quit Match

The I Quit match was better as it was one of the few I Quit Matches where there wasn't a screwy finish, meaning somebody actually said "I Quit"... but anyways

The 89 GAB match is easily found off of Kazaa Lite and its in very good quality I believe, lemme check(I downloaded it)

Yup, on Full Screen Mode its like watching an old VHS tape. Match runs 23:59

The quality runs at 298kb per second and is 52.7megs

if you have a good connection I highly recommend downloading it.

Edit: Although I do agree they should have found room for it as it heightened the feud leading into the I Quit Match

The I Quit match was better as it was one of the few I Quit Matches where there wasn't a screwy finish, meaning somebody actually said "I Quit"... but anyways

Tully/Magnum comes to mind as an I Quit match that didn't have a screwy ending, it certaintly kicks the ass of the Funk/Flair ending.

And no the Bash match was better. In the Bash match, Flair did a much better job of putting over Funk's offense, and his "neck" injury. Meanwhile in the I Quit match you get nonsense like Flair brushing off a Piledriver on a floor, which was treated as potential career ending threat in the Bash match. The I Quit match also has dull my turn your turn formatting, and transitions that leave much to be desired. Not a bad match, but not as good as the Bash match.

Tully/Magnum comes to mind as an I Quit match that didn't have a screwy ending, it certaintly kicks the ass of the Funk/Flair ending.

And no the Bash match was better. In the Bash match, Flair did a much better job of putting over Funk's offense, and his "neck" injury. Meanwhile in the I Quit match you get nonsense like Flair brushing off a Piledriver on a floor, which was treated as potential career ending threat in the Bash match. The I Quit match also has dull my turn your turn formatting, and transitions that leave much to be desired. Not a bad match, but not as good as the Bash match.

You just pretty much summed up my feelings on the matter.

And Magnum/Tully KILLS Flair/Funk for I Quit.

Guest FrigidSoul

Magnum/Tully KILLS Flair/Funk for I Quit.

I agree that Magnum/Tully is better but in my opinion they are the two greatest I Quit Matches with Rock/Foley coming in at a close 3rd due to the ending. They could have had Rock threaten to slam Foley's wife in the head with a chair if he didn't Quit after Rock had slammed him those 15 times or so. That would have made it the best of all time.

It didn't start as a PPV until 88. Prior to then, it was a summer tour through all the big NWA towns such as Atlanta, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc. The Crockett videos are simply highlights from the tour.

I'd thought that it was originally a one-night supercard, and then was broadened to the point that it was a summer tour, and then became a PPV. I thought the first one was in 1985, and took place outside in Charlotte. I remember a few of the matches (Flair-Nikita Koloff, Road Warriors-Ivan & Krusher Kruschev, Magnum TA-Kamala, Dusty-Tully, Manny Fernandez and two people I can't think of vs. Superstar Graham, the Barbarian & Abdullah).

The Great American Bash 1985

July 6, 1985 in Charlotte, NC

Memorial Stadium drawing 27,000 ($300,000)

Jimmy Valiant pinned Paul Jones in a "dog collar" match.

Manny Fernandez, Sam Houston, & Buzz Tyler beat Billy Graham, Konga the Barbarian, & Abdullah the Butcher when Houston pinned Graham.

Ron Bass draw Buddy Landell.

National Tag Champs Ole & Arn Anderson beat Buzz Sawyer & Dick Slater when Ole pinned Sawyer.

NWA Tag Champs Krusher Khruschev & Ivan Koloff DDQ AWA Tag Champs The Road Warriors.

NWA U.S. Champ Magnum TA beat Kamala via DQ.

NWA World Champ Ric Flair pinned Nikita Koloff. David Crockett was the special referee.

Dusty Rhodes pinned Tully Blanchard in a "steel cage" match to win the NWA TV Title.

I agree that Magnum/Tully is better but in my opinion they are the two greatest I Quit Matches with Rock/Foley coming in at a close 3rd due to the ending. They could have had Rock threaten to slam Foley's wife in the head with a chair if he didn't Quit after Rock had slammed him those 15 times or so. That would have made it the best of all time.

Foley's kids would have been scarred for life if they had done that. Bad enough they shit their pants watching Rock take batting practice with their dad's head.

They could have had Rock threaten to slam Foley's wife in the head with a chair if he didn't Quit after Rock had slammed him those 15 times or so. That would have made it the best of all time.

And then after Foley said I quit they could have had The Rock hit Foley's wife in the head with the chair anyway.

That's the problem with quoting results posted on websites - they're often inaccurate.

If this is the same match featured on Crockett Cup 87 in Magnum's career retrospective (which I believe it is), Magnum got the pin IIRC.

It's concievable Bash 85 consisted of more than one show - it's just that the Charlotte event is the only one listed wherever this info came from.

Jimmy Valiant pinned Paul Jones in a "dog collar" match.

Manny Fernandez, Sam Houston, & Buzz Tyler beat Billy Graham, Konga the Barbarian, & Abdullah the Butcher when Houston pinned Graham.

Ron Bass draw Buddy Landell.

National Tag Champs Ole & Arn Anderson beat Buzz Sawyer & Dick Slater when Ole pinned Sawyer.

NWA Tag Champs Krusher Khruschev & Ivan Koloff DDQ AWA Tag Champs The Road Warriors.

NWA World Champ Ric Flair pinned Nikita Koloff. David Crockett was the special referee.

Dusty Rhodes pinned Tully Blanchard in a "steel cage" match to win the NWA TV Title.

Bumping this because I just found my clipped video of this with Solie and Bill Apter presenting it. Weird seeing them fighting on grass, with everybody in the stands while 3/4s of the actual ground level not being used. I suppose the copters and stuff were to blame.

Oh, and Magnum did pin Kamala just for clarification.